Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Elitegroup PM800-M2 motherboard and WinXPProsp2

Elitegroup PM800-M2 motherboard and WinXPProsp2

AugustWest@yahoo.com

I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

WormWood

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

In Windows Explorer, find in C root directory, (or whatever drive letter
you're booting from), find a file APPLOG if it exists, rename it
APPLOG1. Not guaranteed to fix your infinite reboot problem but has a
good track record so far. Please post back with results. Thanks

-WW

AugustWest@yahoo.com

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:09:18 -0400, "WormWood"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
>> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
>> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
>> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
>> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
>> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
>> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
>> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>

>In Windows Explorer, find in C root directory, (or whatever drive letter
>you're booting from), find a file APPLOG if it exists, rename it
>APPLOG1. Not guaranteed to fix your infinite reboot problem but has a
>good track record so far. Please post back with results. Thanks
>
>-WW

Thanks for the try, but no luck. When I try to load in safe mode, it
stops at loading xmasbus.sys. At that point it reboots.

old jon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

go to this site and have a read.
http://www.file.net/process/xmasbus.sys.html
best wishes..OJ

AugustWest@yahoo.com

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:24:45 GMT, "old jon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
>> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
>> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
>> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
>> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
>> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
>> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
>> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>

>go to this site and have a read.
>http://www.file.net/process/xmasbus.sys.html
>best wishes..OJ

Thanks again, but no luck. I deleted the files because Alcohol
wouldn't uninstall. Same problem, except now there is no mention of
xmasbus. Loaded Win XP Pro on an old HDD on my old computer; works
fine on that one but I still get exactly the same response: endless
rebooting. I am using Win98se on the new computer as I write this
note. Can't figure this one out.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
>> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
>> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
>> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
>> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
>> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
>> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
>> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>

>go to this site and have a read.
>http://www.file.net/process/xmasbus.sys.html
>best wishes..OJ

Still no luck. I deleted those files because Alcohol would not
uninstall. Same problem without mention of xmasbus. I loaded Win XP
Pro on an old 10Gb HDD (Fat32) on my old computer and it works fine.
Moved it to this computer and exactly the same problem: continuous
rebooting just as Windows starts. I am writing this letter on the new
computer using Win98se, which still works fine. Can't figure this one
out.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
> an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
> fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
> the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
> with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
> and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
> on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
> WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

a) Do a repair install of XP on the HD with the new motherboard.

b) Before you pull it from the old computer, disable "Automatically
Reboot" (Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced -->
Startup and Recovery --> Uncheck "Automatically Reboot" --> Apply --> OK -->
Reboot) so you can see the error.

c) Or best of all - Reset the IDE adapter to "Standard PCI Host
Adapter" before you pull it off the old computer.

If the new motherboard doesn't have the same disk controller, you'll
get this, since as soon as XP switches to 32bit drivers, it can't find the
HD - no drivers loaded for the disk controller! A) fixes it by installing
the proper ones. B) at least lets you know what the problem is, and C)
works around it, but the resulting install won't be as stable as if you do a
new install on a new drive with the new board.

"But Win98 works!" Yah. Win98 has "MSDOS Compatibility Mode" and
can load using 16bit drivers. XP doesn't.

RwP

Joel Rubin

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:59:36 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
>an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
>fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
>the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
>with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
>and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
>on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
>WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried going into the BIOS setup and loading the safe
settings?

J-McC

Hi, you may have to ensure that you have loaded the correct drivers to
suit the motherboard. Eg if your old computer had VIA chip set and
the new one has a different type eg SIS or INTEL. The only solution
MAY be to do a fresh install of XP pro & SP2 on the p/c with the newly
purchased motherboard. If You are able to get the pc to start in safe
mode you may be able to load the cd that came with your new
motherboard and then you will be smiling etc.
please post your results.
J McC (E-Mail Removed)

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:12:16 GMT, Joel Rubin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:59:36 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I just purchased this motherboard and am currently running Win98se on
>>an old HDD. I took the HDD from my other computer (it was working
>>fine) w/ WinXP Pro sp2, but it won't load. After the Bios loads, I get
>>the Win XP splash screen for just a moment, then it reboots again,
>>with the same results. I flashed the Bios to V1.2E, dated 3/18/2005
>>and updated the chipset to v451a. Still no luck, but Win98se runs fine
>>on my old Maxtor 4.3Gb HDD. The Hdd w/ XP Pro is a Western Digital
>>WD1200 (120Gb). Any help is greatly appreciated.

>Have you tried going into the BIOS setup and loading the safe
>settings?

J-McC

I did a quick search for "Elitegroup PM800-M2" and found these specs
for you. I was impressed that it was priced as low as $us37.00
It has VIA VT8237 southbridge chip and On Board Graphic Processor S3
Graphics UniChrome Pro.

As I said in my earlier post I am sure that your old p/c probably has
a different chip set and XP will have incorrect driver modules
installed.
JIM

Key Features
Form Factor Micro ATX
Compatibility PC
Compatible Processors Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium 4
Front Side Bus Speed 800 MHz
Convenience Features
Storage Controller Type(s) Serial ATA x 2, DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra) x 2
South Bridge Chip VIA VT8237
Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 8 Serial Port x 1 RJ45 Lan
Port x 1 PS/2 Mouse x 1 PS/2 Keyboard x 1 Parallel Port
(ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 Floppy Port x 1
Expansion Slots AGP x8 x 1 PCI x 3 CNR x 1
RAID Support RAID 0 RAID 1
Processor
Socket Type Socket 478
Max supported CPUs qty 1
Memory
Max Supported RAM 2 GB
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Number of Memory Slots 2 x 184 Pin DIMMs
Supported RAM speeds 400 MHz 333 MHz 266 MHz
Audio / Video
Video Interface AGP 8x
On Board Graphic Processor S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro
Installed Video Memory 64 MB
Integrated Graphic Card Integrated Graphic Card
Audio Output SPDIF Out 5.1 Channels Line Out
Integrated Audio Realtek ALC655
Audio Input Microphone Jack 1 x Line In
Video Out Ports 15 Pin D-Sub VGA port x 1
Communication
Networking Type Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
Other Features
Chassis Type Desktop
Package Qty 1
Hyper Thread Technology Ready
Fans 2 x 3-pin fan headers
Dimensions
Depth 9.6 in.
Width 9.6 in.
Warranty
1 Year
Miscellaneous
Bios Type 4 Mbit Flash EEPROM with AwardBIOS
MPN pm800m2
Product ID 22525980
Bios Features Plug And Play BIOS APM 1.2 ACPI 1.0 DMI
Power Configurations Wake On Ring Header Wake On LAN Header
Suspend to RAM
Regulatory Approval FCC Class B