Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Knoppix Help

Knoppix Help

old jon

Second time of asking.
I`ve d\loaded Knoppix, made the CD, booted up and all seems to works. So I
must be a
linux user now. <g>. Can anyone tell me how to set up my Soundblaster
platinum, `cos I`m darned if I can get it to work Any help appreciated.
best wishes..OJ

Evan Platt

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:27:57 GMT, "old jon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Second time of asking.

You asked 24 hours ago. Give some time for an answer. This isn't a
chat room.

why?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:27:57 GMT, old jon wrote:

>Second time of asking.

1 point, as you are correct. It was only a bit over 24 hours ago.

Does asking again so soon get more answers?

>I`ve d\loaded Knoppix, made the CD, booted up and all seems to works. So I
>must be a
>linux user now. <g>. Can anyone tell me how to set up my Soundblaster

-1 point, it takes a while.

>platinum, `cos I`m darned if I can get it to work Any help appreciated.
>best wishes..OJ

There are several other places to ask,

You didn't mention Knoppix version, SB card version or if you tried
www.google.com , the general linux newsgroups, if it was detected or not
during the install, checked the HOWTOs , the Knoppix site, forums.

Start off with www.google.com there appear to be some issues with some
types of creative labs cards.

Me

old jon wrote:

> Second time of asking.
> I`ve d\loaded Knoppix, made the CD, booted up and all seems to works. So I
> must be a
> linux user now. <g>. Can anyone tell me how to set up my Soundblaster
> platinum, `cos I`m darned if I can get it to work Any help appreciated.
> best wishes..OJ

That should autodetect unless you have something weird or a sound card
clone manufacturer that releases only proprietory stuff.
A scruffy $10 second user card will fix that.
You can also try other liveCDs
Some 250+ to try out on that link.

old jon

"7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K5UBe.70709$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> old jon wrote:
>
>> Second time of asking.
>> I`ve d\loaded Knoppix, made the CD, booted up and all seems to works. So
>> must be a
>> linux user now. <g>. Can anyone tell me how to set up my Soundblaster
>> platinum, `cos I`m darned if I can get it to work Any help appreciated.
>> best wishes..OJ

> That should autodetect unless you have something weird or a sound card
> clone manufacturer that releases only proprietory stuff.
> A scruffy $10 second user card will fix that.
> You can also try other liveCDs
> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
> Some 250+ to try out on that link.

Thanks for your response 7. My first look at linux. The card is a genuine
Creative, it`s the one before the Audigy (the latest). It appeared to find
the card, but when I tried to play an mp3, with Audacity, all I got was
silence. As a newbie I didn`t know what to do next.
best wishes..OJ

JonL@myday.com

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/

old jon wrote:

> "7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:K5UBe.70709$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> old jon wrote:
>>
>>> Second time of asking.
>>> I`ve d\loaded Knoppix, made the CD, booted up and all seems to works. So
>>> must be a
>>> linux user now. <g>. Can anyone tell me how to set up my Soundblaster
>>> platinum, `cos I`m darned if I can get it to work Any help appreciated.
>>> best wishes..OJ

>> That should autodetect unless you have something weird or a sound card
>> clone manufacturer that releases only proprietory stuff.
>> A scruffy $10 second user card will fix that.
>> You can also try other liveCDs
>> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
>> Some 250+ to try out on that link.
>>

> Thanks for your response 7. My first look at linux. The card is a genuine
> Creative, it`s the one before the Audigy (the latest). It appeared to find
> the card, but when I tried to play an mp3, with Audacity, all I got was
> silence. As a newbie I didn`t know what to do next.
> best wishes..OJ

In the multimedia menu you will find a few audio utilities
including the audio mixer. It could be something
simple as turning up the volume and connecting the speaker
to the right output port on the card, and powering up the speaker.

If its working it should give a log on start up sound at boot.
You can try the sound controls on some other PC with working sound
and then go back to the PC with the problems.