Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Jumpy Mouse Pointer - Gateway Notebook

Jumpy Mouse Pointer - Gateway Notebook

Jeff Wisnia

Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
computer and a child with poor fine motor control.

The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
can handle a conventional mouse much better.

I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into the
notebook's USB port.

The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
should next be drawn.

The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.

I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I haven't
located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't want to
shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on. <G>

Help please?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

NotMe

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
> computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
>
> The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
> can handle a conventional mouse much better.
>
> I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into the
> notebook's USB port.
>
> The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
> using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
> though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
> should next be drawn.
>
> The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
>
> I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I haven't
> located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't want to
> shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on. <G>
>
> Help please?
>
> Jeff

It has been quite a while since I was 'outsourced' [cough] from GW. I
remember there was an issue with some laptops that didn't like some
brands of optical mice.

You can try disabling the drivers for the touch pad, check the
add/remove for the synaptics touch pad drivers. They can be reinstalled
from the installation disk, or just download them from
http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&param=3500728

If that doesn't work, and since the computer us out of warranty, maybe
try emailing GW tech support and see if they have a better answer.
https://support.gateway.com/support/...ct_tech1.shtml

Hope this gets you on the right track.

NotMe

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
> computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
>
> The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
> can handle a conventional mouse much better.
>
> I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into
> the notebook's USB port.
>
> The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
> using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
> though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
> should next be drawn.
>
> The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
>
> I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I
> haven't located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't
> want to shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on.
> <G>
> Help please?
>
> Jeff

There's your problem. You bought MS - you should have bought Logitech.

SgtMinor

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
> computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
>
> The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
> can handle a conventional mouse much better.
>
> I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into the
> notebook's USB port.
>
> The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
> using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
> though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
> should next be drawn.
>
> The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
>
> I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I haven't
> located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't want to
> shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on. <G>
>
> Help please?
>
> Jeff

Get a driver from MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...lliPoint%205.2

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2F31207B

Bobby

IFC = Ignorant ****ing ****, but I bet you knew what it meant, didn't you?

news:cUPBe.967$(E-Mail Removed)...

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> Jeff Wisnia wrote:
>
>>Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
>>computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
>>
>>The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
>>can handle a conventional mouse much better.
>>
>>I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into
>>the notebook's USB port.
>>
>>The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
>>using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
>>though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
>>should next be drawn.
>>
>>The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
>>
>>I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I
>> haven't located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't
>>want to shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on.
>><G>
>>Help please?
>>
>>Jeff

> There's your problem. You bought MS - you should have bought Logitech.

So I plugged a Logitech mouse into it today and got the same results.

What do you say now Mam?

Methinks perhaps your entire alimentary canal got reversed...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)