Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing Windows 2000 from scratch ...

Installing Windows 2000 from scratch ...

Rob Keel

Hi,

Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
install updates/patches etc.

Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
regarding the next steps?

Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
before then installing Av and firewall?

Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?

Many thanks for your help,

Rob.

Max Wachtel

Rob Keel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
> Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
> install updates/patches etc.
>
> Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
> regarding the next steps?
>
> Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
> all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
> before then installing Av and firewall?
>
> Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Rob.

Just like any other windows-you need to install and configure a firewall
before going online. I am using broadband so using windows update was
the way to go for me.
-max
Registered Linux User #393236

PC

"Rob Keel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
> Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
> install updates/patches etc.
>
> Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
> regarding the next steps?
>
> Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
> all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
> before then installing Av and firewall?
>
> Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Rob.

Rob

Offline (not connected to the internet)

Windows 2000
Hardware drivers (motherboard, video, sound)
Any service pack's to hand
Anti Virus
Firewall
Anti Spyware

Some suggest a 'Ghost' image at this time is a good idea, up to you.

Go Online (connect to the internet)

Update Anti Virus
Update Firewall if available
Update Anti Spyware
Microsoft Windows Update/patches

Cheers
Paul.
Paul.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Rob Keel mused:

| Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to
| install all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install
| the updates before then installing Av and firewall?

If you are behind a router you can safely go to Windows Update to
get patches without a software firewall installed.

SgtMinor

Rob Keel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
> Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
> install updates/patches etc.
>
> Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
> regarding the next steps?
>
> Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
> all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
> before then installing Av and firewall?
>
> Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Rob.

From Microsoft:

"How To Install Windows 2000 Professional"

http://support.microsoft.com/default...304868&sd=tech