Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Possible to Un-Install and Re-install IE6?

Reply
Thread Tools

Possible to Un-Install and Re-install IE6?

 
 
Sens Fan Happy In OH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2005
A few weeks back I wrote about an issue that transpired at work with
the owner's PC becoming infested with spyware. To the best of my
knowledge we've removed everything found. But obviously there might be
"new" things that CounterSpy, Spyware Doctor, AdAware and Spybot may
have missed.

But now he is complaining because some pages on MSN's MoneyCentral do
not load for him and features of his Ameritrade website no longer load
and/or work. Of course he's blaming the spyware he "somehow" got off a
religious site. But my bet is that either:

(1) He's screwed up IE6 so badly that now things that should load won't
or can't ...

or

(2) Some piece of spyware protection is blocking something.

I can pretty much rule out #2 because several other PCs in the building
have some or nearly all of the same programs running to block spyware.
So my guess is he's totally messed up IE6 since this has been happening
for 10 days now, according to him.

I tried to locate a knowledge base article on removing and
re-installing IE6 but all I could find was this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;312451

And it talked about re-installing MS Windows, which I really do NOT
want to do because he is very tough to please and it would mean his
system would be down for hours ... plus there's the possibility of
other software not working anymore and needing to be re-installed.

All I want to do is remove IE6, total and complete, and then re-install
it from scratch. I'd rather use Firefox, but I know that some of his
Ameritrade and MSN MoneyCentral items would probably not work well on
there, if at all, and I'd be listening to more hour long tirades about
things not working.

I'm just at a loss! We're considering a new MB set complete with RAM
and processor to spead up things given how many spyware protection
programs I have running in the background to try and keep him from
getting infected again. I know the simple answer would be to keep him
away from the PC or train him where not to go. But he won't even admit
that he's been on porn and/or gambling sites despite seeing traces of
where he's been in the History file and cookies that are pretty
tell-tale signs of possible activity!

So what can I do? Is there an easy way to un-install IE6 and then
re-install? Or can I somehow "repair" what he's screwed up? I need
something that can happen quickly with not much down time and will not
change his configurations much.

Thanks ahead of time to all that can help!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2005
Sens Fan Happy In OH wrote:
> But now he is complaining because some pages on MSN's MoneyCentral do
> not load for him and features of his Ameritrade website no longer load
> and/or work.


That is most likely due to the configuration of his OE, or because it is
an 'old' browser without some capabilities of newer browsers.

> I tried to locate a knowledge base article on removing and
> re-installing IE6 but all I could find was this one:


MS's OSes don't support 'simply' removing OE. What /is/ supported is
repairing OE or going back to a previous version of OE or reinstalling
OE over itself. Or adding another browser, such as FireFox which would
be very smart.

Third parties have created applications designed to remove IE, one such
example is IEradicator http://www.litepc.com/products.html free and for
the Win9x series thru' 2Ksr1. 2Ksr2 & XP are a different matter.


--
Mike Easter


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2005
Mike Easter wrote:
> MS's OSes don't support 'simply' removing OE. What /is/ supported is
> repairing OE or going back to a previous version of OE or reinstalling
> OE over itself. Or adding another browser, such as FireFox which
> would be very smart.


Oops. s/OE/IE/

MS's OSes don't support 'simply' removing IE. What is supported is
repairing IE or going back to a previous version of IE or reinstalling
IE over itself. Or adding another browser, such as FireFox which would
be very smart.


--
Mike Easter


 
Reply With Quote
 
pcbutts1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2005
Cut and paste everything between the lines into notepad then save the file
as ieinstall.reg make sure you change the save as... drop down box to all
files. Once the file is saved then double click on it to merge it into the
registry. When done you can download IE6 from here and reinstall it
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...1/default.mspx

================================================== ==================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}]
"IsInstalled"=dword: 00000000


================================================== ==================================

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Sens Fan Happy In OH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>A few weeks back I wrote about an issue that transpired at work with
> the owner's PC becoming infested with spyware. To the best of my
> knowledge we've removed everything found. But obviously there might be
> "new" things that CounterSpy, Spyware Doctor, AdAware and Spybot may
> have missed.
>
> But now he is complaining because some pages on MSN's MoneyCentral do
> not load for him and features of his Ameritrade website no longer load
> and/or work. Of course he's blaming the spyware he "somehow" got off a
> religious site. But my bet is that either:
>
> (1) He's screwed up IE6 so badly that now things that should load won't
> or can't ...
>
> or
>
> (2) Some piece of spyware protection is blocking something.
>
> I can pretty much rule out #2 because several other PCs in the building
> have some or nearly all of the same programs running to block spyware.
> So my guess is he's totally messed up IE6 since this has been happening
> for 10 days now, according to him.
>
> I tried to locate a knowledge base article on removing and
> re-installing IE6 but all I could find was this one:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;312451
>
> And it talked about re-installing MS Windows, which I really do NOT
> want to do because he is very tough to please and it would mean his
> system would be down for hours ... plus there's the possibility of
> other software not working anymore and needing to be re-installed.
>
> All I want to do is remove IE6, total and complete, and then re-install
> it from scratch. I'd rather use Firefox, but I know that some of his
> Ameritrade and MSN MoneyCentral items would probably not work well on
> there, if at all, and I'd be listening to more hour long tirades about
> things not working.
>
> I'm just at a loss! We're considering a new MB set complete with RAM
> and processor to spead up things given how many spyware protection
> programs I have running in the background to try and keep him from
> getting infected again. I know the simple answer would be to keep him
> away from the PC or train him where not to go. But he won't even admit
> that he's been on porn and/or gambling sites despite seeing traces of
> where he's been in the History file and cookies that are pretty
> tell-tale signs of possible activity!
>
> So what can I do? Is there an easy way to un-install IE6 and then
> re-install? Or can I somehow "repair" what he's screwed up? I need
> something that can happen quickly with not much down time and will not
> change his configurations much.
>
> Thanks ahead of time to all that can help!
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Self-intro and possible offtopic: creation of group integratingtranslators and experts in the fields they translate vocabulo Python 1 04-21-2009 01:02 AM
Java and usb ... it is possible, open source and simple ?? Etantonio Java 5 12-12-2008 11:16 AM
efficient data loading with Python, is that possible possible? igor.tatarinov@gmail.com Python 10 12-14-2007 04:44 PM
is it possible to possible to create an iterator from a callback interace? aninnymouse@gmail.com C Programming 4 02-21-2006 02:10 PM
XML + XSD: Is it possible to get all possible Values for an Element? Markus Java 1 11-22-2005 02:51 PM



Advertisments