Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Secondary HD

Secondary HD

Mother Farquhar

My secondary HD has started to turn itself on (which I don't mind because it
did that now and again anyway) but it's just that it won't turn itself off
anymore. This is despite the fact that in Power Saving I have set it to turn
off after 3 minutes. This never happened before. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Malke

Mother Farquhar wrote:

> My secondary HD has started to turn itself on (which I don't mind
> because it did that now and again anyway) but it's just that it won't
> turn itself off anymore. This is despite the fact that in Power Saving
> I have set it to turn off after 3 minutes. This never happened before.
> Has anyone any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Something running in the background that originates on the second hard
drive? Only you can tell what is running on your computer. Do
clean-boot troubleshooting to determine this:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

R. C. White

Hi, Mom.

Dust bunnies?

I'm not kidding. I can't see your rig, so my question may be wholly
inappropriate. But dust and lint can collect around exposed pins and, it
time, form a large enough ball to cause a short-circuit. Maybe not a solid
electrical connection, but just enough to cause mysterious phenomena. :>(

(That's my theory as to why my DIMM socket shorted out a few months ago,
permanently burning the DIMM's little gold fingers. A new DIMM still worked
fine in the other sockets, but I retired the motherboard, anyhow.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX