Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > taskbar tray icons missing after IE "crash"

taskbar tray icons missing after IE "crash"

r_mervart

I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
Thanks
Roman

JANA

Your computer has corrupted files in its system. You may be best off to
re-install the operating system from the base, and re-install your
softwares.

The other alternative, is if you can find someone with a very good
knowledge in IT support, he may be able to service your system. This
however, may not be cost effective in your case.

--

JANA
_____

"r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsv5Ae.27561$(E-Mail Removed)...
I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
Thanks
Roman

Toolman Tim

"r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsv5Ae.27561$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
> website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
> program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
> However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
> particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
> Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
> otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
> reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
> Thanks
> Roman

Nope. Just reboot. Or stop going to those web sites...

Unk

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:31 GMT, "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
>website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
>program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
>However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
>particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
>Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
>otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
>reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
>Thanks
>Roman

See if this works:

Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes and click "OK"
Work your way to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess

Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"

This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't take your systray with it.

r_mervart

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access

some
> >website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
> >program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
> >However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
> >particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
> >Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
> >otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
> >reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
> >Thanks
> >Roman
> >

> See if this works:
>
> Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes and

click "OK"
> Work your way to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Browse
NewProcess

> Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
>
> This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't take

your systray with it.

I have checked that value and it is already set to "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
(When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)

Roman

Toolman Tim

"r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsv5Ae.27561$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
> website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
> program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
> However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
> particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
> Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
> otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
> reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
> Thanks
> Roman

Do you have any idea what program generates the taskbar item you are missing
after the crash? Maybe it can be restarted.

Unk

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:14:46 GMT, "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:31 GMT, "r_mervart"

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access

>some
>> >website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
>> >program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
>> >However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
>> >particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
>> >Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
>> >otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
>> >reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
>> >Thanks
>> >Roman
>> >

>> See if this works:
>>
>> Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes and

>click "OK"
>> Work your way to:
>>

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Browse
>NewProcess
>>
>> Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
>>
>> This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't take

>your systray with it.
>>

>I have checked that value and it is already set to "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
>(When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
>unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)
>
>Roman

Just right-click the taskbar, select "Toolbars", and select "Language Bar"

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >some

tray,

and

reboot,

full

> >> See if this works:
> >>
> >> Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes

and
> >click "OK"
> >> Work your way to:
> >>

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Brows

> >NewProcess
> >>
> >> Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
> >>
> >> This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't

take
> >your systray with it.
> >>

> >I have checked that value and it is already set to

"BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
> >(When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
> >unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)
> >
> >Roman
> >

> Just right-click the taskbar, select "Toolbars", and select "Language Bar"

Hmm, there is not one to select. The only choices under Toolbars are
Links, Address, DeskTop, Quick Launch (ticked) and then New Toolbar

Roman

r_mervart

news:FzfAe.2903$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsv5Ae.27561$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access

some
> > website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
> > program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
> > However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
> > particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
> > Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full

reboot,
> > otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
> > reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
> > Thanks
> > Roman
> >

> Do you have any idea what program generates the taskbar item you are

missing
> after the crash? Maybe it can be restarted.

It is a standard Windows98 function that one sets up under Control Panel and
then Keyboard and then Language tab. In that Language window there is
"Enable indicator on taskbar" selection which is ticked. I believe it
remains ticked when it crashes and the little icon disappears.
Roman

Toolman Tim

"r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nBgAe.28754$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:14:46 GMT, "r_mervart"

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> >some

> tray,

> and

> reboot,

> full

> and
>> >click "OK"
>> >>

>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cu rrentVersion\Explorer\Brows

>> >NewProcess

> take
>> >your systray with it.
>> >>
>> >I have checked that value and it is already set to

> "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
>> >(When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
>> >unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)
>> >
>> >Roman
>> >

>> Just right-click the taskbar, select "Toolbars", and select "Language
>> Bar"
>>

> Hmm, there is not one to select. The only choices under Toolbars are
> Links, Address, DeskTop, Quick Launch (ticked) and then New Toolbar
>
> Roman

That Language Bar is part of the newer MS Office software, not Windows
itself. If you don't have Word or Excel (XP version or higher, IIRC), you
won't have the Language Bar. Besides - that's on the taskbar, not the system
tray.

Which is why I was wondering what program you *DO* have that is creating the
icon in the system tray.