Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Taskbar icons not loading

Taskbar icons not loading

Jeff

Hi, everytime I boot my computer, all of my programs start just fine
but some of them do not appear in my taskbar like they are supposed to.
For example, my Mcafee Security Suite starts, asks me to login, but
after that the red M does not appear in the taskbar although the
software is running. Often times after a reboot, it may show up but
something else won't. I called Dell and the guy from India went off on
how I need to disable this, enable that, delete every program other
than Microsoft programs from starting, and so on which completely
messed up my machine. I did a system restore yet am still having the
same problem. I am running Windows XP, have a 2 GHZ processor, and 2
GB of RAM. Please help me. Thanks.

Unk

On 9 Jul 2005 22:27:37 -0700, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, everytime I boot my computer, all of my programs start just fine
>but some of them do not appear in my taskbar like they are supposed to.
> For example, my Mcafee Security Suite starts, asks me to login, but
>after that the red M does not appear in the taskbar although the
>software is running. Often times after a reboot, it may show up but
>something else won't. I called Dell and the guy from India went off on
>how I need to disable this, enable that, delete every program other
>than Microsoft programs from starting, and so on which completely
>messed up my machine. I did a system restore yet am still having the
>same problem. I am running Windows XP, have a 2 GHZ processor, and 2
>GB of RAM. Please help me. Thanks.

Right-click a blank area on the taskbar, select "Properties", click the "Taskbar" tab, and
uncheck "Hide inactive icons", click "Apply", OK

Or, click the "Customize" button and choose "Always show" for the ones you always want showing.

Duane Arnold

Jeff wrote:

> Hi, everytime I boot my computer, all of my programs start just fine
> but some of them do not appear in my taskbar like they are supposed to.
> For example, my Mcafee Security Suite starts, asks me to login, but
> after that the red M does not appear in the taskbar although the
> software is running. Often times after a reboot, it may show up but
> something else won't. I called Dell and the guy from India went off on
> how I need to disable this, enable that, delete every program other
> than Microsoft programs from starting, and so on which completely
> messed up my machine. I did a system restore yet am still having the
> same problem. I am running Windows XP, have a 2 GHZ processor, and 2
> GB of RAM. Please help me. Thanks.

That problem with the icons showing or not showing in the job tray is
routine on the NT based O/S(s) Win 2K and XP. I don't know if it's an
application problem or the O/S itself. I can boot my laptop that ran Win 2k
and now runs XP showing SQL server, Nod32, etc etc icons in the job trey
and they all may show-up or some of them. If the application uses a
service, then you can check to make sure the service is running.

Duane