Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Alltell DSL??

Alltell DSL??

Miggsee

Does anyone use this service? Opinions?

olfart

"Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone use this service? Opinions?

It's not too bad. Have an outage of a few hours about once or twice a month.
Of course it depends on Alltel's phone service which in my opinion sucks,
but I am blocked from getting another phone provider like Bell South which
is all around me. Stuck with Alltel. Had the same problems with their phone
service when I lived in Kansas for a few years - in Georgia now.

Miggsee

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone use this service? Opinions?
>>

> It's not too bad. Have an outage of a few hours about once or twice a
> month.
> Of course it depends on Alltel's phone service which in my opinion sucks,
> but I am blocked from getting another phone provider like Bell South which
> is all around me. Stuck with Alltel. Had the same problems with their
> phone
> service when I lived in Kansas for a few years - in Georgia now.

Thanks for the reply! All I know is that I've battled with Adelphia since
April when I moved. Adelphia in VA was great. Here the cable connection is
continually dropped. My modem had to reset 200 times on Thursday night, and
my download speed dropped to 7.416kbps. Adelphia has dropped two lines,
used two pedestals, and the problems persist. Thus, I'm going to try the dsl
that's available.

Jack Underwood

Miggsee wrote:
> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Does anyone use this service? Opinions?
>>>

>>It's not too bad. Have an outage of a few hours about once or twice a
>>month.
>>Of course it depends on Alltel's phone service which in my opinion sucks,
>>but I am blocked from getting another phone provider like Bell South which
>>is all around me. Stuck with Alltel. Had the same problems with their
>>phone
>>service when I lived in Kansas for a few years - in Georgia now.
>>

> Thanks for the reply! All I know is that I've battled with Adelphia since
> April when I moved. Adelphia in VA was great. Here the cable connection is
> continually dropped. My modem had to reset 200 times on Thursday night, and
> my download speed dropped to 7.416kbps. Adelphia has dropped two lines,
> used two pedestals, and the problems persist. Thus, I'm going to try the dsl
> that's available.

Alltel is a really good service. The package I bought gave me a free
modem and installation kit, with free DSL filters included. The only
problem I have with it is that about 3 times a month (on average), the
connection is dropped, so you need to reboot the modem to get a new
connection set up. But other than that, I have had a great experience
with Alltel.

Toolman Tim

"Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone use this service? Opinions?
>>>

>> It's not too bad. Have an outage of a few hours about once or twice a
>> month.
>> Of course it depends on Alltel's phone service which in my opinion sucks,
>> but I am blocked from getting another phone provider like Bell South
>> which
>> is all around me. Stuck with Alltel. Had the same problems with their
>> phone
>> service when I lived in Kansas for a few years - in Georgia now.
>>

> Thanks for the reply! All I know is that I've battled with Adelphia
> since April when I moved. Adelphia in VA was great. Here the cable
> connection is continually dropped. My modem had to reset 200 times on
> Thursday night, and my download speed dropped to 7.416kbps. Adelphia
> has dropped two lines, used two pedestals, and the problems persist. Thus,
> I'm going to try the dsl that's available.

Geez! I'd switch too. Our cable (Charter) seldom has significant outages,
but recently the whole valley (on the commercial lines) was down. The
residential service was restored quickly, but the commercial service was
down most of two working days. Really gave us some fits at work. Then a few
days later it was down a couple hours again, but that's it for the last year
or so.

Miggsee

news:YBRze.17993$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> It's not too bad. Have an outage of a few hours about once or twice a
>>> month.
>>> Of course it depends on Alltel's phone service which in my opinion
>>> sucks,
>>> but I am blocked from getting another phone provider like Bell South
>>> which
>>> is all around me. Stuck with Alltel. Had the same problems with their
>>> phone
>>> service when I lived in Kansas for a few years - in Georgia now.
>>>

>> Thanks for the reply! All I know is that I've battled with Adelphia
>> since April when I moved. Adelphia in VA was great. Here the cable
>> connection is continually dropped. My modem had to reset 200 times on
>> Thursday night, and my download speed dropped to 7.416kbps. Adelphia
>> has dropped two lines, used two pedestals, and the problems persist.
>> Thus, I'm going to try the dsl that's available.

> Geez! I'd switch too. Our cable (Charter) seldom has significant outages,
> but recently the whole valley (on the commercial lines) was down. The
> residential service was restored quickly, but the commercial service was
> down most of two working days. Really gave us some fits at work. Then a
> few days later it was down a couple hours again, but that's it for the
> last year or so.

It now is evident that the sales clerks are on commission. It seems that
Alltell is frantically trying to get lines that will carry dsl to my locale.
I don't live in the boonies, just 14 miles from a major city. I am
frustrated!

Top (retired)

"Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:YBRze.17993$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks for the reply! All I know is that I've battled with
>>> Adelphia since April when I moved. Adelphia in VA was great.
>>> Here the cable connection is continually dropped. My modem had
>>> to reset 200 times on Thursday night, and my download speed
>>> dropped to 7.416kbps. Adelphia has dropped two lines, used
>>> two pedestals, and the problems persist. Thus, I'm going to try
>>> the dsl that's available.

>> Geez! I'd switch too. Our cable (Charter) seldom has significant
>> outages, but recently the whole valley (on the commercial lines)
>> was down. The residential service was restored quickly, but the
>> commercial service was down most of two working days. Really gave
>> us some fits at work. Then a few days later it was down a couple
>> hours again, but that's it for the last year or so.
>>

> It now is evident that the sales clerks are on commission. It
> seems that Alltell is frantically trying to get lines that will
> carry dsl to my locale. I don't live in the boonies, just 14 miles
> from a major city. I am frustrated!

Have you looked in to satellite in your area? How is it?

Ed

--
Freedom is never free....