Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CAS Latency

CAS Latency

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Iwant to buy some more memory for my system. I currently have 1Gb on board, in
two 512 PC3200 modules. I'm looking around on line and find that one of the
specs I have to look for is CAS Latency. How do I find out what the CAS latency
of my current memory is so I can buy the same. I imagine that would be the way
to do it, try to match the memory I have as best I can? Also, if I want to get
two modules that are "matched" should I be looking at 1Gb in a set of two as
opposed to two separate modules? Best price I've found is NewEgg and they have
two packs of 512 PC3200 modules. Would that make them a matched pair? Thanks.

Parko

> Iwant to buy some more memory for my system. I currently have 1Gb on
> board, in two 512 PC3200 modules. I'm looking around on line and find that
> one of the specs I have to look for is CAS Latency. How do I find out what
> the CAS latency of my current memory is so I can buy the same. I imagine
> that would be the way to do it, try to match the memory I have as best I
> can? Also, if I want to get two modules that are "matched" should I be
> looking at 1Gb in a set of two as opposed to two separate modules? Best
> price I've found is NewEgg and they have two packs of 512 PC3200 modules.
> Would that make them a matched pair? Thanks.

What do you need so much RAM for? 1024mb should be more than enough for
anyone unless you plan to encode DVDs or something. And yes, matched pairs
are better if your Mobo supports dual channel RAM.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Render Me

CAS is the fastest the memory is set to run, typically 2-3-3-5 is good, if
you have something that can support it(mobo, processor, etc).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Iwant to buy some more memory for my system. I currently have 1Gb on
> board, in
> two 512 PC3200 modules. I'm looking around on line and find that one of
> the
> specs I have to look for is CAS Latency. How do I find out what the CAS
> latency
> of my current memory is so I can buy the same. I imagine that would be the
> way
> to do it, try to match the memory I have as best I can? Also, if I want to
> get
> two modules that are "matched" should I be looking at 1Gb in a set of two
> as
> opposed to two separate modules? Best price I've found is NewEgg and they
> have
> two packs of 512 PC3200 modules. Would that make them a matched pair?
> Thanks.

FML

Render Me wrote:
> CAS is the fastest the memory is set to run, typically 2-3-3-5 is good, if
> you have something that can support it(mobo, processor, etc).

Yeah, NO!!

(quote courtesy of crucial.com)
"CAS latency (also referred to as latency) is the amount of time it
takes for your memory to respond to a command. Specifically, it is the
length of time between memory receiving a command to read data, and the
first piece of data being sent from the memory.

Unless you are a computer enthusiast looking to push every last bit of
performance out of your system, CAS latency needn't be a deciding factor
when purchasing memory modules.

You may see CAS latency (clock latency) referred to as CAS#, CL#, CAS=#
or CL=#. The performance difference between CAS latency ratings is
*virtually undetectable*."

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Iwant to buy some more memory for my system. I currently have 1Gb on
>>board, in
>>two 512 PC3200 modules. I'm looking around on line and find that one of
>>the
>>specs I have to look for is CAS Latency. How do I find out what the CAS
>>latency
>>of my current memory is so I can buy the same. I imagine that would be the
>>way
>>to do it, try to match the memory I have as best I can? Also, if I want to
>>get
>>two modules that are "matched" should I be looking at 1Gb in a set of two
>>as
>>opposed to two separate modules? Best price I've found is NewEgg and they
>>have
>>two packs of 512 PC3200 modules. Would that make them a matched pair?
>>Thanks.

FML

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Iwant to buy some more memory for my system. I currently have 1Gb on board, in
> two 512 PC3200 modules. I'm looking around on line and find that one of the
> specs I have to look for is CAS Latency. How do I find out what the CAS latency
> of my current memory is so I can buy the same. I imagine that would be the way
> to do it, try to match the memory I have as best I can? Also, if I want to get
> two modules that are "matched" should I be looking at 1Gb in a set of two as
> opposed to two separate modules? Best price I've found is NewEgg and they have
> two packs of 512 PC3200 modules. Would that make them a matched pair? Thanks.

CAS latency is really not an issue with today's memory modules. If you
want to educate yourself about RAM, check out www.crucial.com. I have
been buying memory from them for years (memory for everything from
servers to laptops to digital cameras) and they have a consitent high
quality product, excellent customer service and very competitive prices.

rfdjr1@optonline.net

>Unless you are a computer enthusiast looking to push every last bit of
>performance out of your system, CAS latency needn't be a deciding factor
>when purchasing memory modules.
>
>You may see CAS latency (clock latency) referred to as CAS#, CL#, CAS=#
>or CL=#. The performance difference between CAS latency ratings is
>*virtually undetectable*."

Latency isn't a deciding factor. I just want to know if I have to match what's
already in my machine when I buy more memory. I just downloaded a utility called
CPU-Z which gives me info on my machine, and according to what it says, my
memory readings are:

Memory:
Frequency 199.9 Mhz
FSBRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 3 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 Clocks
Cycle Time (Tras) 8 clocks

SPD Timing tables:
Frequency 133Mhz 166Mhz 200Mhz
CAS# Latency 2.0 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 2 3 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
Cycle Time (Tras) 6 7 8

Can anyone translate this for me? Am I seeing it correctly as 3 -3 -3?
Thanks.

Render Me

the figures you see may be what the ram is running, may not be the fastest
setting though, this might be adjusted in the bios.You are limited by many
factors, the mobo , processor etc.