Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Deleting a record in Outlook Express address book - how?

Deleting a record in Outlook Express address book - how?

SgtMinor

I'm trying to help a friend delete from his laptop an incorrect address
in Outlook 2002, a program I've never used. How is this done? I
learned from MS that there is no single address book, I tried MS's
suggestions in article 307730 - "HOW TO: Add and Remove Names in Your
Address Book in Windows XP" (open address book and delete the record,
e.g.; but the record is not there) and I tried a text search for the
addressee, all in vain.

Where else could I look to find this address? This person uses a Palm
and synchronized his address book but nothing shows up in the Palm
program area either.

Win XP Pro, SP 2.

Sly

tools then address book?

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to help a friend delete from his laptop an incorrect address
> in Outlook 2002, a program I've never used. How is this done? I
> learned from MS that there is no single address book, I tried MS's
> suggestions in article 307730 - "HOW TO: Add and Remove Names in Your
> Address Book in Windows XP" (open address book and delete the record,
> e.g.; but the record is not there) and I tried a text search for the
> addressee, all in vain.
>
> Where else could I look to find this address? This person uses a Palm
> and synchronized his address book but nothing shows up in the Palm
> program area either.
>
> Win XP Pro, SP 2.

hf938

From Outlook 2002, select contacts, highlight the contact, either delete it
or change the properties to correct error.

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to help a friend delete from his laptop an incorrect address
> in Outlook 2002, a program I've never used. How is this done? I
> learned from MS that there is no single address book, I tried MS's
> suggestions in article 307730 - "HOW TO: Add and Remove Names in Your
> Address Book in Windows XP" (open address book and delete the record,
> e.g.; but the record is not there) and I tried a text search for the
> addressee, all in vain.
>
> Where else could I look to find this address? This person uses a Palm
> and synchronized his address book but nothing shows up in the Palm
> program area either.
>
> Win XP Pro, SP 2.

SgtMinor

Sly wrote:

> tools then address book?

The name with the incorrect address is not listed in the address book.

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm trying to help a friend delete from his laptop an incorrect address
>> in Outlook 2002, a program I've never used. How is this done? I
>> learned from MS that there is no single address book, I tried MS's
>> suggestions in article 307730 - "HOW TO: Add and Remove Names in Your
>> Address Book in Windows XP" (open address book and delete the record,
>> e.g.; but the record is not there) and I tried a text search for the
>> addressee, all in vain.
>>
>> Where else could I look to find this address? This person uses a Palm
>> and synchronized his address book but nothing shows up in the Palm
>> program area either.
>>
>> Win XP Pro, SP 2.

SgtMinor

hf938 wrote:

> From Outlook 2002, select contacts, highlight the contact, either delete it
> or change the properties to correct error.

The record does not show up in contacts.

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm trying to help a friend delete from his laptop an incorrect address
>> in Outlook 2002, a program I've never used. How is this done? I
>> learned from MS that there is no single address book, I tried MS's
>> suggestions in article 307730 - "HOW TO: Add and Remove Names in Your
>> Address Book in Windows XP" (open address book and delete the record,
>> e.g.; but the record is not there) and I tried a text search for the
>> addressee, all in vain.
>>
>> Where else could I look to find this address? This person uses a Palm
>> and synchronized his address book but nothing shows up in the Palm
>> program area either.
>>
>> Win XP Pro, SP 2.

hf938

Having a hard time understanding. Where and when does the incorrect address
present a problem? If it is not in adbook or contacts, does it come up when
they reply to the person? Most likely the case then would be is that the
reply address is munged, either by intent or flaw from the sender.

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hf938 wrote:
>
> > From Outlook 2002, select contacts, highlight the contact, either delete

it
> > or change the properties to correct error.

> The record does not show up in contacts.
>

> > "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I'm trying to help a friend delete from his laptop an incorrect address
> >> in Outlook 2002, a program I've never used. How is this done? I
> >> learned from MS that there is no single address book, I tried MS's
> >> suggestions in article 307730 - "HOW TO: Add and Remove Names in Your
> >> Address Book in Windows XP" (open address book and delete the record,
> >> e.g.; but the record is not there) and I tried a text search for the
> >> addressee, all in vain.
> >>
> >> Where else could I look to find this address? This person uses a Palm
> >> and synchronized his address book but nothing shows up in the Palm
> >> program area either.
> >>
> >> Win XP Pro, SP 2.

SgtMinor

hf938 wrote:

> Having a hard time understanding. Where and when does the incorrect address
> present a problem? If it is not in adbook or contacts, does it come up when
> they reply to the person? Most likely the case then would be is that the
> reply address is munged, either by intent or flaw from the sender.

The incorrect address pops up as a first choice as Outlook tries to
complete the information entered in the "To" window.

Sometime ago he created the record with an incorrect email address and
has not been able to remove it. He can't recall how or where or in
which program he made that mistake.

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hf938 wrote:
>>
>> > From Outlook 2002, select contacts, highlight the contact, either delete

> it
>> > or change the properties to correct error.

>> The record does not show up in contacts.
>>

>> > "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

hf938

And in the dropdown list, I assume there is the correct address?

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hf938 wrote:
>
> > Having a hard time understanding. Where and when does the incorrect

address
> > present a problem? If it is not in adbook or contacts, does it come up

when
> > they reply to the person? Most likely the case then would be is that

the
> > reply address is munged, either by intent or flaw from the sender.

> The incorrect address pops up as a first choice as Outlook tries to
> complete the information entered in the "To" window.
>
> Sometime ago he created the record with an incorrect email address and
> has not been able to remove it. He can't recall how or where or in
> which program he made that mistake.
>

> > "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

delete
> > it
> >>
> >> The record does not show up in contacts.

address

Your

record,

Palm

SgtMinor

hf938 wrote:

> And in the dropdown list, I assume there is the correct address?

Yes. And that one shows in Address book, but not Contacts.

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hf938 wrote:
>>
>> > Having a hard time understanding. Where and when does the incorrect

> address
>> > present a problem? If it is not in adbook or contacts, does it come up

> when
>> > they reply to the person? Most likely the case then would be is that

> the
>> > reply address is munged, either by intent or flaw from the sender.

>> The incorrect address pops up as a first choice as Outlook tries to
>> complete the information entered in the "To" window.
>>
>> Sometime ago he created the record with an incorrect email address and
>> has not been able to remove it. He can't recall how or where or in
>> which program he made that mistake.
>>

>> > "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> delete
>> > it

> address

> Your

> record,

> Palm

hf938

Another question, is this when composing a new mail from scratch? Is it an
auto-complete trying to finish typing? Then maybe clearing the
auto-complete forms in Control Panel/Internet Options/Content/Auto
Complete>Clear Forms might help.