Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop Freezes when coming out of Standby on a Dell Inspiron 8100

Laptop Freezes when coming out of Standby on a Dell Inspiron 8100

Nicole Kidman

Hello All!
I have a Dell inspiron 8100. I had a problem with my keyboard, there was
a stuck key and it was screwing up my system. I had the keyboard
replaced. Prior to installation of the new keyboard the computer would
never go into standby on it's own. After installing the new keyboard it
goes into standby mode as it should according to the power settings in
control panel. However every time I wake the computer out of standby
after a few seconds it freezes up and I can do nothing but turn the
power off and startup again. Once I start up everything is back to
normal untill the computer goes into standby mode again. I have disabled
standby mode to temporarily solve the problem but I would like to be
able to use standby mode because it is very convinient and saves power.
Do any of you geniuses out there know what the problem could be?
thanks,
Nicole

Duane Arnold

Nicole Kidman wrote:

> Hello All!
> I have a Dell inspiron 8100. I had a problem with my keyboard, there was
> a stuck key and it was screwing up my system. I had the keyboard
> replaced. Prior to installation of the new keyboard the computer would
> never go into standby on it's own. After installing the new keyboard it
> goes into standby mode as it should according to the power settings in
> control panel. However every time I wake the computer out of standby
> after a few seconds it freezes up and I can do nothing but turn the
> power off and startup again. Once I start up everything is back to
> normal untill the computer goes into standby mode again. I have disabled
> standby mode to temporarily solve the problem but I would like to be
> able to use standby mode because it is very convinient and saves power.
> Do any of you geniuses out there know what the problem could be?
> thanks,
> Nicole

So, are you saying you cannot start NotePad after this or the machine cannot
access the Internet anymore?

Duane

Nicole Kidman

Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Nicole Kidman wrote:
>
>> Hello All!
>> I have a Dell inspiron 8100. I had a problem with my keyboard, there
>> was a stuck key and it was screwing up my system. I had the keyboard
>> replaced. Prior to installation of the new keyboard the computer
>> would never go into standby on it's own. After installing the new
>> keyboard it goes into standby mode as it should according to the
>> power settings in control panel. However every time I wake the
>> computer out of standby after a few seconds it freezes up and I can
>> do nothing but turn the power off and startup again. Once I start up
>> everything is back to normal untill the computer goes into standby
>> mode again. I have disabled standby mode to temporarily solve the
>> problem but I would like to be able to use standby mode because it is
>> very convinient and saves power. Do any of you geniuses out there
>> know what the problem could be? thanks,
>> Nicole

> So, are you saying you cannot start NotePad after this or the machine
> cannot access the Internet anymore?
>
> Duane

Yes I can't do anything. The whole system freezes... no keyboard... no
mouse it just stays stuck on the screen.