Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WAP54 G Firmware questions

WAP54 G Firmware questions

Viper

I have a wired and wireless network setup in my house. First of all I am
using a D Link cable modem DCM-202 on Insight Broadband. I have my cable
modem going to a wireless router WRT54G ( Firmware 4.00.7). I have 2 pc's
and an X Box hooked up to it. Then I have a wireless PC going through the
WRT54G router. I get a real low signal on the wireless PC so I am using a
WAP54g access point as a repeater to boost the signal. I use the WEP for
security over the wireless connection. I would like to use WPA instead of
WEP. But I can use the access point as a repeater if I do that. I have
noticed that on the linksys web site that there is different version of the
WAP54g access point. I have the 1.0 and I have tried to upgrade the firmware
to the current version for the 1.1 access point but it dose not work. When I
do the upgrade the Diag light stays on and will not go off, and the firmware
for the WAP54g ver. 2 will not go at all. The firmware for the WAP54g
version 1.1 and 2 is 2.08 which has the feature that I need, and so I can
use the WPA security on the access point and use the access point as a
repeater. I do not want to have to go out and buy a new access point for
that reason. Here is how my network is set up.

1. I have my WRT54G set up as 192.168.1.1
2. Access point 192.168.1.2 with the default gateway set to 192.168.1.1. Is
this correct?
3. My pc 192.168.1.3
4. 2nd pc 192.168.1.4
5. 3rd pc 192.168.1.5 wireless PC
6. X Box 192.168.1.6
7. 4 Pc 195.168.1.7 Wireless PC

My wireless Pc's currently have the default gateway IP of 192.168.1.1. Which
means that they are going to the WRT54g instead of the WAP54g. Do I need to
have the wireless Pc's default gateway set to the WAP 54g access point
192.168.1.2? When I do that I can not get on the internet. Not sure why????
Dose it look like I have every thing set up correctly on my network?? I
would like some input of different ways or some thing I can set up or change
to make it better or what ever I can do. I also am going to look at some
kind of software I can use to start logging traffic on my network. Wireless,
Incoming, and out going. Not sure what to use and how to set that up. I
currently use the logging that is built in the router and access point, but
I want more. The logging built in to the linksys access point and router is
not good enough.

Duane Arnold

> I also am going
> to look at some kind of software I can use to start logging traffic on my
> network. Wireless, Incoming, and out going. Not sure what to use and how
> to set that up.

You'll have to change the stock firmware for the WRT54g so that WW can work
with it.

http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/#routers

As for the rest of your post, get on the phone with Linksys. You can also
post to a wireless NG.

Duane