Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to remove items from add/remove list please

Caractucus Potts

How do I remove items from the add remove list which are no longer on my
pc.
Tia

John Holmes

Caractucus Potts blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

I found this: http://tinyurl.com/bgn4m

--
Your mother was a talkative actress who used to download pornographic
material in a small tent.

Vanguard

"Caractucus Potts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> How do I remove items from the add remove list which are no longer on
> my
> pc.

Before editing the registry, back it up (export the hive under which you
edit or just the keys you edit). Go in the registry (using regedit.exe)
and delete the uninstall key(s) for each application under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

The key name under the above path is often the same as the program but
some programs used the classID to identify themselves. The classID is a
32-bit hyphenated number in the format
"{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx--xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}". For the latter case, you can
select each one and then look at the data items within the registry key
where usually one of them is a descriptor of the program which will tell
you what that registry key is for, like the DisplayName data item.
Understand that deleting this uninstall registry key does NOT remove
other registry keys associated with this program, any Start menu group
and shortcuts for the program, or any files left on your hard drive.
You may still have do to do lots of cleanup.

You never bothered to mention WHICH operating system you are using. The
mention of "Add/Remove Programs" probably means you are using Windows
but there are several versions of it. Don't assume everyone uses what
you use. In Windows XP, in Add/Remove Programs, there should be a
Remove option for an item, or running its uninstall will popup an alert
that no uninstall key exists for that item and asks if you want to
remove it.

Of course, if the problem is that the entry is missing from Add/Remove
Programs but would normally be there, you could just reinstall the
program which adds its uninstall key in the registry and then use
Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it (or some provide a shortcut in their
Start menu group that runs the uninstall). It is also possible that the
program you want to uninstall never does add a uninstall registry key or
uninstall shortcut because its "install" is just to copy some files into
a path (so you just delete those files, and their directory if it isn't
shared by another program).

Fred is back

Vanguard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Before editing the registry, back it up (export the hive under which you
> edit or just the keys you edit)

There is only one.

> Go in the registry (using regedit.exe) and delete the uninstall
> key(s) for each application
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall The
> key name under the above path is often the same as the program but some
> programs used the classID to identify themselves.

When was the last time?

> The classID is a 32-bit hyphenated number in the format
> "{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx--xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}".

> For the latter case, you can select each one and then look at the data
> items within the registry key where usually one of them is a descriptor of
> the program which will tell you what that registry key is for, like the
> DisplayName data item.

I don't want to.

> Understand that deleting this uninstall registry key does NOT remove
> other registry keys associated with this program, any Start menu group and
> shortcuts for the program, or any files left on your hard drive.

Can you program in c?

> You may still have do to do lots of cleanup.

Why would you want to prove the point that you are a fool, Vanguard?

> You never bothered to mention WHICH operating system you are using.

No, it's definitely you who is using.

> The mention of "Add/Remove Programs" probably means you are using
> Windows but there are several versions of it.

I doubt it. Can you prove that I am using windows but there are several
versions of it?

> Don't assume everyone uses what you use.

Everyone?

> In Windows XP, in Add/Remove Programs, there should be a Remove option
> for an item, or running its uninstall will popup an alert that no
> uninstall key exists for that item and asks if you want to remove it.

Do you find food desirable?

Tell some **** that cares.

> It is also possible that the program you want to uninstall never does
> add a uninstall registry key or uninstall shortcut because its "install"
> is just to copy some files into a path (so you just delete those files,
> and their directory if it isn't shared by another program)

What do you want from life?

John Ray

Caractucus Potts wrote:

> How do I remove items from the add remove list which are no longer on my
> pc.

Download Microsoft's Tweakui - it has a tool for doing just that.

--
John Ray

doS

You remove the programs the correct way to start with.