Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linksys wireless router

Linksys wireless router

Andy Mann

I have found that my neighbour is getting free wi fi using my wireless
router.
How do I put a password on my system to stop it

Toolman Tim

"Andy Mann" <tom@tom_tom.com> wrote in message
news:mzCxe.17151$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have found that my neighbour is getting free wi fi using my wireless
> router.
> How do I put a password on my system to stop it

RTFM. STFW.

Or maybe post the *model* here? Without knowing that, it would be kind of
hard to say, wouldn't it?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On "Andy Mann" <tom@tom_tom.com> wrote:

|>I have found that my neighbour is getting free wi fi using my wireless
|>router.
|>How do I put a password on my system to stop it

LOL, the jerk told you?

In your browser type in 192.168.0.1
edit your password, or just turn off your wifi from there

If 192.xxx doesn't work, in a dos window type in: netstat -r your
number is the first one under Gateway.
--
Never argue with an idiot.
They drag you down to their level,

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On "Andy Mann" <tom@tom_tom.com> wrote:
>
> |>I have found that my neighbour is getting free wi fi using my wireless
> |>router.
> |>How do I put a password on my system to stop it
> |>

> LOL, the jerk told you?
>
> In your browser type in 192.168.0.1
> edit your password, or just turn off your wifi from there
>
> If 192.xxx doesn't work, in a dos window type in: netstat -r your
> number is the first one under Gateway.

Actually, that won't help...that would just keep neighbors from poking
around in the router settings. In addition to setting a password, he needs
to 1) set up encrytion keys and/or 2) restrict access to specific MAC
addresses. I did both.

FML

Andy Mann wrote:
> I have found that my neighbour is getting free wi fi using my wireless
> router.
> How do I put a password on my system to stop it

Read your router manual. Focus on security. You will see things like WEP
(and maybe WPA depending on how old your router is). Depending on how
computer savvy your neighbor is, WEP alone may keep him out but it can
be cracked in a matter of minutes by someone that knows what they are doing.

Here is an excellent article about wi-fi security:

http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/050526/#story1

Hopefully you don't have to have a Windows Secrets account to view it.
If they ask you to log in, IMHO it is well worth it to sign up. Brian
Livingston's biweekly columns are easy to read and full of helpful
information and you can't beat the price (free) or their privacy policy.

FML

Toolman Tim wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>LOL, the jerk told you?
>>
>>In your browser type in 192.168.0.1
>>edit your password, or just turn off your wifi from there
>>
>>If 192.xxx doesn't work, in a dos window type in: netstat -r your
>>number is the first one under Gateway.
>>

> Actually, that won't help...that would just keep neighbors from poking
> around in the router settings. In addition to setting a password, he needs
> to 1) set up encrytion keys and/or 2) restrict access to specific MAC
> addresses. I did both.

If all you are doing to secure your wifi connection is WEP encryption
and MAC filtering, you are only keeping out the most casual of users.
Anybody with a wireless card that knows how to read and has a little bit
of time to learn a few tricks can break into your system in a matter of
minutes.

You may want to read "The Six Dumbest Ways to Secure a Wireless LAN" at:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Toolman Tim

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>LOL, the jerk told you?
>>>
>>>In your browser type in 192.168.0.1
>>>edit your password, or just turn off your wifi from there
>>>
>>>If 192.xxx doesn't work, in a dos window type in: netstat -r your
>>>number is the first one under Gateway.
>>>

>> Actually, that won't help...that would just keep neighbors from poking
>> around in the router settings. In addition to setting a password, he
>> needs to 1) set up encrytion keys and/or 2) restrict access to specific
>> MAC addresses. I did both.
>>

> If all you are doing to secure your wifi connection is WEP encryption and
> MAC filtering, you are only keeping out the most casual of users. Anybody
> with a wireless card that knows how to read and has a little bit of time
> to learn a few tricks can break into your system in a matter of minutes.
>
> You may want to read "The Six Dumbest Ways to Secure a Wireless LAN" at:
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

In my neighborhood, I'm not worried. My wireless signal doesn't even make it
to the fence posts, much less far enough out for someone to steal Internet
bandwidth. (I don't have WPA on my old-dog laptop.)

But that doesn't seem to be the case for the OP. However, I seriously doubt
his neighbor is going to learn how to crack his WEP. If his has WPA, that's
even better.

FML

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Actually, that won't help...that would just keep neighbors from poking
>>>around in the router settings. In addition to setting a password, he
>>>needs to 1) set up encrytion keys and/or 2) restrict access to specific
>>>MAC addresses. I did both.
>>>

>>If all you are doing to secure your wifi connection is WEP encryption and
>>MAC filtering, you are only keeping out the most casual of users. Anybody
>>with a wireless card that knows how to read and has a little bit of time
>>to learn a few tricks can break into your system in a matter of minutes.
>>
>>You may want to read "The Six Dumbest Ways to Secure a Wireless LAN" at:
>>
>>http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
>>

> In my neighborhood, I'm not worried. My wireless signal doesn't even make it
> to the fence posts, much less far enough out for someone to steal Internet
> bandwidth. (I don't have WPA on my old-dog laptop.)
>
> But that doesn't seem to be the case for the OP. However, I seriously doubt
> his neighbor is going to learn how to crack his WEP. If his has WPA, that's
> even better.

Sounds like you're like me. I live out in the middle of no-where. The
closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. I don't even have WEP enabled on
mine. If somebody wants to come all the way out here and try to get
close enough to my house (after dealing with an electric gate and a pack
of very rambunctious doggies), they can go ahead and piggy back onto my
wifi.

At the office, it is another story altogether. Full blown WPA2 there.

Toolman Tim

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> "FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>If all you are doing to secure your wifi connection is WEP encryption and
>>>MAC filtering, you are only keeping out the most casual of users. Anybody
>>>with a wireless card that knows how to read and has a little bit of time
>>>to learn a few tricks can break into your system in a matter of minutes.
>>>
>>>You may want to read "The Six Dumbest Ways to Secure a Wireless LAN" at:
>>>
>>>http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
>>>

>> In my neighborhood, I'm not worried. My wireless signal doesn't even make
>> it to the fence posts, much less far enough out for someone to steal
>> Internet bandwidth. (I don't have WPA on my old-dog laptop.)
>>
>> But that doesn't seem to be the case for the OP. However, I seriously
>> doubt his neighbor is going to learn how to crack his WEP. If his has
>> WPA, that's even better.
>>

> Sounds like you're like me. I live out in the middle of no-where. The
> closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. I don't even have WEP enabled on mine.
> If somebody wants to come all the way out here and try to get close enough
> to my house (after dealing with an electric gate and a pack of very
> rambunctious doggies), they can go ahead and piggy back onto my wifi.
>
> At the office, it is another story altogether. Full blown WPA2 there.

Yeah - we haven't done wireless at work for two reasons: our environment is
bad (significant electrical interference from milling equipment, and metal
siding on all the buildings - we'd have to go with antennae towers and good
line-of-sight) and cost vs. advantage. To get wi-fi to the outer limits of
our plant offices would cost significantly higher than normal because of the
environment, and wouldn't improve productivity enough to justify it.

Duane Arnold

Andy Mann wrote:

> I have found that my neighbour is getting free wi fi using my wireless
> router.
> How do I put a password on my system to stop it

You cannot put a psw on it.

If the router has a MAC blocking feature, then enable it to block other
wireless machines from using your network but the ones you want.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...fisecurity.htm

Duane