Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > installing XP

installing XP

Matt

I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know
if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
"registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have
running right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has
been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on
there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly
perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

Toolman Tim

news:5Yzxe.22839$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
> processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
> connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
> the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know if
> you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
> problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
> "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have running
> right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has been
> stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on there
> before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly perhaps, but
> it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

Give it up. Your processor has half the speed you need, and you have less
than half the memory you need, and your hard drive is way too wimpy. That
boat anchor was built for Windows 95 and is way below Microsoft's
recommended minimum hardware requirements.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
|>processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
|>connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
|>the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know
|>if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
|>problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
|>"registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have
|>running right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has
|>been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on
|>there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly
|>perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

Turn it off, then back on let if notice it hasn't completed the
install and attempt to repair itself?

Go to a bare bones system remove anything not required to install the
OS then add them back after it's done?

Boot up with a Win98 boot disk
http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads...sks/boot98.exe
This will Install your CD at the A:\ prompt type in: smartdrv
then the <cd> i386/winnt command?
--
Never argue with an idiot.
They drag you down to their level,

Matt

> Boot up with a Win98 boot disk
> http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads...sks/boot98.exe
> This will Install your CD at the A:\ prompt type in: smartdrv
> then the <cd> i386/winnt command?

smartdrv? Doesn't appear to be on that disk...

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Matt wrote:
> I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
> processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
> connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I
> made the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let
> me know if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent
> here. The problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it
> gets to the "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The
> one I have running right now is my third attempt at installing from
> scratch and has been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I
> had XP Pro on there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a
> little slowly perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get
> past that step?

You're an idiot.

Did you check the minimum specs before you proceeded? No, you did not.
Did you run the upgrade advisor? No, you did not.

The hard drive is way too small (20GB is the minimum needed, I'd say) the
CPU is *FAR* too slow and you have nowhere near enough RAM. I don't know
where you thought you had XP on there before - in your dreams, probably.

Toolman Tim

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mSAxe.1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt wrote:
>> I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
>> processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
>> connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I
>> made the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let
>> me know if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent
>> here. The problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it
>> gets to the "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The
>> one I have running right now is my third attempt at installing from
>> scratch and has been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I
>> had XP Pro on there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a
>> little slowly perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get
>> past that step?

> You're an idiot.
>
> Did you check the minimum specs before you proceeded? No, you did not.
> Did you run the upgrade advisor? No, you did not.
>
> The hard drive is way too small (20GB is the minimum needed, I'd say) the
> CPU is *FAR* too slow and you have nowhere near enough RAM. I don't know
> where you thought you had XP on there before - in your dreams, probably.

Yeah - the OP said "a little slowly perhaps" and I'm thinking "Start the
computer, plant a coffee bean, let it grow, ripen, harvest, roast, grind and
brew a cup, and hope the computer is ready to run when you get back..."

Matt

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> You're an idiot.
>
> Did you check the minimum specs before you proceeded? No, you did not.

Actually, I did.

> Did you run the upgrade advisor? No, you did not.

This was not a possibility as the computer was not connected to the
internet (stated in my original post).

> The hard drive is way too small (20GB is the minimum needed, I'd say)

I had the previous XP installation on just over 1.0GB on a 1.5GB drive.
Microsoft says 1.5GB is the required amount.

> the
> CPU is *FAR* too slow

OK, I agree with that one. It groaned its way through though.

> and you have nowhere near enough RAM.

64MB minimum says Microsoft. I have 80MB. Yes, slow, but it worked for
what I wanted that particular computer for.

>I don't know
> where you thought you had XP on there before - in your dreams, probably.

I'm trying not to be rude, but the question I asked was not whether or
not the computer met XP's minimum requirements (which, with the
exception of the processor, it does). I realize that it's going to move
rather slowly. It was working before though. I would appreciate thoughts
about my original question if anyone has any.

FML

Matt wrote:
> I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
> processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
> connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
> the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know
> if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
> problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
> "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have
> running right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has
> been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on
> there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly
> perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

Do you have a boat? Does it need an anchor?

C'mon dude. Put the thing out to pasture or maybe put a character mode
install of Linux on it and use it to learn that.

I am going to take your word for the fact that you had XPPro running on
that thing. You may want to send a letter to Rome to apply for miracle
status on that alone.

You don't have enough CPU power, RAM, or HD to do XP. Even if you could
get it installed, the performance would be abysmal.

In a world where you can get an entry level Dell for $299 (USD) why
would you want to mess with this dinosaur?

old jon

news:5Yzxe.22839$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
> processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
> connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
> the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know if
> you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
> problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
> "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have running
> right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has been
> stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on there
> before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly perhaps, but
> it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

While agreeing that the poor old computer is gonna struggle. If you were to
remove any PCI\ISA
cards, except Video card. Then try a fresh install, it`s possible you might
succeed. i had one system that `looped` on trying to find a modem card, till
I found out the problem.
best wishes..OJ

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
|>> Boot up with a Win98 boot disk
|>> http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads...sks/boot98.exe
|>> This will Install your CD at the A:\ prompt type in: smartdrv
|>> then the <cd> i386/winnt command?

|>smartdrv? Doesn't appear to be on that disk...

Sorry took it for granted that it was, you really have to run smartdrv
before winnt or it could take days to finish the install :}
(incredibly slow)