Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

Mick

>>Use a large format film camera ie:

That will cost a minimum of $600-800.

The resolution of 35 mm films is so much better than it ever was that film
format is less an issue than technique. (Of course, high-quality digital --
at least 5 mpx -- is equally good and you can enhance in Photoshop or Paint
Shop Pro (the low-cost alternative to Photoshop that does a lot of the same
things; of course, pro designers need Photoshop, but most amateurs can get
by with PSP).

Use a medium-fast color film (or digital)

Use print film if you can scan at hi-res (at least 1200 dpi; 2400 is
better); transparencies if you've got a film attachment on your scanner.

Definitely use a tripod

Buy an inexpensive shutter release cable. This mounts to the shutter button,
and when you squeeze the tip, it depresses the shutter, ensuring that you
won't spoil the picture with ham-handed shutter depression

Do not use flash

Bracket the photos (1 stop under, one stop over, one stop right on the spot)

HTH
Mikc

"Oxford Systems" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VoNwe.11289$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> "Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5_Lwe.9922$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Scratch wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
>>> tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
>>> and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
>>> regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.
>>>
>>> Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?
>>>
>>> THX for ur time
>>> Scratch

>> Use a large format film camera ie: 120mm, not 35mm

> [snip]
>
> Tell 'em what this is gonna cost.

Parko

Oxford Systems wrote:

>> Use a large format film camera ie: 120mm, not 35mm

> [snip]
>
> Tell 'em what this is gonna cost.

What? A Hasselblad?
Neat cameras though, if you're serious.
http://www.hasselblad.se/
The Gimp will do the webby stuff easily. Hint: Xtns > Script Fu > Logos for
naff page headers.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Toolman Tim

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eB1xe.10589$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oxford Systems wrote:
>
>>> Use a large format film camera ie: 120mm, not 35mm

>> [snip]
>>
>> Tell 'em what this is gonna cost.

> What? A Hasselblad?
> Neat cameras though, if you're serious.
> http://www.hasselblad.se/
> The Gimp will do the webby stuff easily. Hint: Xtns > Script Fu > Logos
> for
> naff page headers.

Dad couldn't even afford one of those. He had a Mamiya RB67 Pro for his
studio work...but then, he was only a part-timer <g>. I was really ****ed
when he had to sell it. I've really wanted to play with some medium format
work now and then. At least my brother got most of the lighting equipment.
He still uses it now and then.

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> "Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eB1xe.10589$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> [snip]

>>> Tell 'em what this is gonna cost.

>> What? A Hasselblad?
>> Neat cameras though, if you're serious.
>> http://www.hasselblad.se/
>> The Gimp will do the webby stuff easily. Hint: Xtns > Script Fu > Logos
>> for
>> naff page headers.

> Dad couldn't even afford one of those. He had a Mamiya RB67 Pro for his

That's a sweet one.

> studio work...but then, he was only a part-timer <g>. I was really ****ed
> when he had to sell it. I've really wanted to play with some medium format
> work now and then. At least my brother got most of the lighting equipment.
> He still uses it now and then.

Did you ever get to do any 6x6/6x7 work?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Plato

Scratch wrote:

> Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
> tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
> and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
> regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.
>
> Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?

You need some light stands and a few "daylight" bulbs. Or, a few
standard electronic flash units one with a slave. Set them at 45 degrees
to the painting. The issue is the lighting, not the type of camera ie
digigal vs film.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

EricP wrote:

> A professional would have an easel for the subject with filtered
> lights mounted at 45 degrees to the surface of the subject on either
> side of it.

Right you dont use front flash on camera for paintings.

///Owen\\\\\\

..

> Definitely use a tripod
>
> Buy an inexpensive shutter release cable. This mounts to the shutter
> button, and when you squeeze the tip, it depresses the shutter,
> ensuring that you won't spoil the picture with ham-handed shutter
> depression
> Do not use flash
>

> "Oxford Systems" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VoNwe.11289$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> "Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:5_Lwe.9922$(E-Mail Removed)...

I put a number of my wife's paintings on her site (www.maggieowen.com) using
a 2 MPixel camera and ambient light. After a bit of work using Photoshop,
the results are fine. I wouldn't want to put high quality photos on the
site for two reasons: first, they take a long time to load, and second, some
bad person might copy them.

Prints are a different matter. We have the paintings professionally
photographed using an enormous camera. Then the photo is professionally
scanned - that way we get wonderful resolution and the colours are
duplicated exactly. It's pricey, but you get what you pay for.

John

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> "Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eB1xe.10589$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> What? A Hasselblad?
>>> Neat cameras though, if you're serious.
>>> http://www.hasselblad.se/
>>> The Gimp will do the webby stuff easily. Hint: Xtns > Script Fu > Logos
>>> for
>>> naff page headers.

>> Dad couldn't even afford one of those. He had a Mamiya RB67 Pro for his

> That's a sweet one.
>
>> studio work...but then, he was only a part-timer <g>. I was really ****ed
>> when he had to sell it. I've really wanted to play with some medium
>> format
>> work now and then. At least my brother got most of the lighting
>> equipment.
>> He still uses it now and then.

> Did you ever get to do any 6x6/6x7 work?

Nah - way out of the realm of finance <g>

But the RB67's are still out there - a good used one would tickle me pinkish
;o)