Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clock program ?

Clock program ?

Michael Wood

I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create a
program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play at
the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Mike, Lincoln UK.

doS

because of the time zone difference it wont work.

"Michael Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9vfhv$9ri$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
> hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
> program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
> at
> the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
> need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
> Mike, Lincoln UK.

Toolman Tim

"Michael Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9vfhv$9ri$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
> hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
> program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
> at
> the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
> need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
> Mike, Lincoln UK.

First, find a SMALL freeware program (search Google) that plays wav files.
Then use the Windows Task Scheduler to have that program play your file(s)
on a scheduled basis.

Old Gringo

Michael Wood wrote:
> I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
> hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create a
> program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play at
> the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
> need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
> Mike, Lincoln UK.

This looks like fun:
http://www.softaward.com/3236.html

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Toolman Tim

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:s%Hwe.920$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Michael Wood wrote:
>> I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
>> hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
>> program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
>> at
>> the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
>> need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much
>> appreciated.
>> Mike, Lincoln UK.
>>

> This looks like fun:
> http://www.softaward.com/3236.html

While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
program anymore, but someone should do this.

Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled". But
what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?

Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
turn on a PC at a scheduled time.

Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)

Old Gringo

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:s%Hwe.920$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>Michael Wood wrote:
>>
>>>I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
>>>hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
>>>program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
>>>at
>>>the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
>>>need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much
>>>appreciated.
>>>Mike, Lincoln UK.
>>>

>>This looks like fun:
>>http://www.softaward.com/3236.html
>>

> While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
> program anymore, but someone should do this.
>
> Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled". But
> what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
>
> Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
> turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
>
> Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
> Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
> facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
> Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)

Very Cool idea, why don't you submit it to Mozilla, bet they could
work wonders with it. There are a lot of organizations,and private
individuals from all over the world involved with them. Surely
someone will pick it up and make a go for it. ??

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Toolman Tim

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UOIwe.1016$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:s%Hwe.920$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>>This looks like fun:
>>>http://www.softaward.com/3236.html
>>>

>> While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
>> program anymore, but someone should do this.
>>
>> Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled".
>> But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
>>
>> Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
>> turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
>>
>> Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
>> Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
>> facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
>> Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)
>>

> Very Cool idea, why don't you submit it to Mozilla, bet they could work
> wonders with it. There are a lot of organizations,and private individuals
> from all over the world involved with them. Surely someone will pick it
> up and make a go for it. ??

Not a bad idea. It really is too bad I quit programming at the end of the
DOS days <g>

Old Gringo

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UOIwe.1016$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>>>"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:s%Hwe.920$(E-Mail Removed) om...

>>>While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
>>>program anymore, but someone should do this.
>>>
>>>Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled".
>>>But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
>>>
>>>Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
>>>turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
>>>
>>>Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
>>>Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
>>>facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
>>>Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)
>>>

>>Very Cool idea, why don't you submit it to Mozilla, bet they could work
>>wonders with it. There are a lot of organizations,and private individuals
>>from all over the world involved with them. Surely someone will pick it
>>up and make a go for it. ??
>>

> Not a bad idea. It really is too bad I quit programming at the end of the
> DOS days <g>

May be a good time to get back in the swing.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Ionizer

news:X6Iwe.11559$(E-Mail Removed)...
> While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
> program anymore, but someone should do this.
>
> Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be
> "scheduled". But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
>
> Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability
> to turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
>
> Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
> Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
> facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
> Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)

Spyware and Trojan vendors would be very interested also. Infected
users would now not be safe even when their computers were turned off.
Darkened homes and offices across the country would light up every
morning at 3:00 as zombie computers woke up to play their zombie games.

Aside from my deftness with a VCR, I know nothing about programming-
would such a piece of software be as easy to create or as conceivable as
you make it sound?

Regards,
Ian.

Toolman Tim

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:X6Iwe.11559$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
>> program anymore, but someone should do this.
>>
>> Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled".
>> But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
>>
>> Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
>> turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
>>
>> Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
>> Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
>> facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
>> Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)

> Spyware and Trojan vendors would be very interested also. Infected users
> would now not be safe even when their computers were turned off. Darkened
> homes and offices across the country would light up every morning at 3:00
> as zombie computers woke up to play their zombie games.

<VBG> You're right, of course. Many tools can be abused just like that.

> Aside from my deftness with a VCR, I know nothing about programming- would
> such a piece of software be as easy to create or as conceivable as you
> make it sound?

Possible? Yes. Easy? Probably not. Here's why:

Regarding possibility: In the early years of PC's with CMOS settings for
BIOS parameters (i.e., 286 and above processor based motherboards), many of
them (clear up to Pentium class! ref. Compaq having setup in custom
partitions on their HDs) used software to do setup rather than "firmware".
(For this discussion, the difference between firmware and software is this:
firmware is program code embedded in the hardware, software is program code
removable from the computer: floppy disk, CD, HD, etc.) So it was obviously
possible to access the memory storage points in the motherboard to
manipulate the data stored there. In fact, this is still done with today's
modern operating systems: if you change the time/date on a system, that
change is also made in CMOS so that when you reboot, the time retains that
change. So, yes, I believe it should be possible.

As for easy? Well, that would depend on the motherboard manufacturers (or
rather, the BIOS programmers.) Early on, many systems stored their CMOS
settings in the same format as other systems. The date, time, HD type, etc.,
were positioned in the same bit sequence on many different systems. When I
didn't have the correct software for setting the CMOS on a certain machine,
quite often a setup program for someone else's different brand system would
still allow me to alter the CMOS settings. However, I don't know how much
compatibility remains. I would guess that with the development of
on-motherboard BIOS setup programs, individual BIOS programmers deviated
from "the norm". And with the high level of customization of hardware for
specific vendors (Dell has custom BIOS for their motherboards, even though
they are made by someone else, etc.) that would further exacerbate the
problem.

So it would require a programmer to know the CMOS parameters of a wide range
of common BIOS vendors, and even differences between motherboard models in
the same manufacturer's product line. That, I believe, would present quite
an obstacle. But, of course, I could be wrong: maybe the current CMOS
layouts aren't as dis-similar as I suppose.