Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > conditional model generation

conditional model generation

Holger Venus

Hi to all,

Does some body have an idea how to generate a model based on

generic control, both for the architecture part (component instantiation

and conditional generated wiring) and the entity ports!! as well?

I am trying to create a generic model with a scalable hardware (via

generate statement in the architecture part). Depending on the

generated architecture, the port declaration has to be adapted as well!!

I do not know a way to use generate statements in the entity section

directly. Could there be a trick to use a record structure in the entity

but declare the record in an external package?

Is it possible to use the generate statement in a package declaration

section? What about block statement usage in the package section?

Thank you for your help

Holger

Andrew Reynolds

One approach is to make your inputs and outputs vectors. Use a generic
to indicate how many of each your architecture needs. Use can use an
alias to map the vector components to "symbolic" names if this can be
done programmatically.

Hope this helps!

Drew