Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Cable Is Unplugged <- ???

Network Cable Is Unplugged <- ???

English Patient

I have a computer running Windows XP. I have recently joined AOL Broadband.
I now connect to the internet via a USB port -> ASDL Modem -> Filet -> Master Phone
Socket
( with the filter allowing me to use my phone whilst on-line )
I have only one computer and am the only user.
And all cables are pushed in!

I go on-line and am successfully loading-up web-pages, then I get a balloon pop-up
message saying "A Network Cable Is Unplugged", and my transfer rate drops to 0.

Opening up my Network Connections folder I see the following under LAN or
Highspeed Internet.

Name - Local Area Connection 2
Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
Status - Network Cable Unplugged
Device Name - Globe Span USB ADSL Lan Modem

Name - 1394 Connection
Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
Status - Connected
Device Name - 1394 Net Adapter

Name - Local Area Connection
Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
Status - Disabled
Device Name - Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

After about a minute the status of Local Area Connection 2 turns to:
"Acquiring Network Address"
and then after a bit more waiting, turns to: "Connected"

And my transfer rate returns to normal.

Until less than 5 minutes later when the pop-up balloon comes back and
everything repeats itself

I have Googled for "Network Cable (is) Unplugged" and found many-many
people having the same pop-up. But advice given to them involves NICs(?) and
other technical terms which go way over my head.

I have Norton Security 2005, Spybot and Ad-Aware, all up-to-date and v.recently run.

Can anyone help ?

EP.

why?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:48:02 +0100, English Patient wrote:

>I have a computer running Windows XP. I have recently joined AOL Broadband.
>I now connect to the internet via a USB port -> ASDL Modem -> Filet -> Master Phone
>Socket
>( with the filter allowing me to use my phone whilst on-line )
>I have only one computer and am the only user.
>And all cables are pushed in!
>
>I go on-line and am successfully loading-up web-pages, then I get a balloon pop-up
>message saying "A Network Cable Is Unplugged", and my transfer rate drops to 0.

Or Windows 2000, isn't that MS just trying to be very helpful?

>Opening up my Network Connections folder I see the following under LAN or
>Highspeed Internet.
>
>Name - Local Area Connection 2
>Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
>Status - Network Cable Unplugged
>Device Name - Globe Span USB ADSL Lan Modem
>
>Name - 1394 Connection
>Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
>Status - Connected
>Device Name - 1394 Net Adapter

Are you using the 1394 connection, otherwise yiu should be able to set
that to Disabled as well.

<snip>

>After about a minute the status of Local Area Connection 2 turns to:
>"Acquiring Network Address"
>and then after a bit more waiting, turns to: "Connected"
>
>And my transfer rate returns to normal.
>
>Until less than 5 minutes later when the pop-up balloon comes back and
>everything repeats itself

That's a bit quick.

>I have Googled for "Network Cable (is) Unplugged" and found many-many
>people having the same pop-up. But advice given to them involves NICs(?) and

NICs is easy (basically the 3 devices you mentioned above) -
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/n/netw..._card_NIC.html

>other technical terms which go way over my head.

So you don't bother posting some of the URL to make it easier to try and
explain things?

www.google.com search finds

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1046542322
3 of the posts says a fix was found.

Looking at other posts it's mentioned to manually set the speed and
duplex of the NIC rather than using autodetect.

http://webopedia.com/TERM/f/full_duplex.html

See the guide
http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/comp/w.../NIC_speed.htm
on setting the values on the advanced tab properties sheet.

Of course you have to know the settings you need first.

>I have Norton Security 2005, Spybot and Ad-Aware, all up-to-date and v.recently run.

See what you said above re Google

Me

pcbutts1

Ditch the USB nic and get Ethernet. Call AOL for the equipment.

"English Patient" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a computer running Windows XP. I have recently joined AOL
> Broadband.
> I now connect to the internet via a USB port -> ASDL Modem -> Filet ->
> Master Phone
> Socket
> ( with the filter allowing me to use my phone whilst on-line )
> I have only one computer and am the only user.
> And all cables are pushed in!
>
> I go on-line and am successfully loading-up web-pages, then I get a
> balloon pop-up
> message saying "A Network Cable Is Unplugged", and my transfer rate drops
> to 0.
>
> Opening up my Network Connections folder I see the following under LAN or
> Highspeed Internet.
>
> Name - Local Area Connection 2
> Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
> Status - Network Cable Unplugged
> Device Name - Globe Span USB ADSL Lan Modem
>
> Name - 1394 Connection
> Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
> Status - Connected
> Device Name - 1394 Net Adapter
>
> Name - Local Area Connection
> Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
> Status - Disabled
> Device Name - Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
>
> After about a minute the status of Local Area Connection 2 turns to:
> "Acquiring Network Address"
> and then after a bit more waiting, turns to: "Connected"
>
> And my transfer rate returns to normal.
>
> Until less than 5 minutes later when the pop-up balloon comes back and
> everything repeats itself
>
> I have Googled for "Network Cable (is) Unplugged" and found many-many
> people having the same pop-up. But advice given to them involves NICs(?)
> and
> other technical terms which go way over my head.
>
> I have Norton Security 2005, Spybot and Ad-Aware, all up-to-date and
> v.recently run.
>
> Can anyone help ?
>
> EP.

Plato

pcbutts1 wrote:

> Ditch the USB nic and get Ethernet. Call AOL for the equipment.

Which is what the cable techs do if you had to call them.