Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Want to upgarde 80486 or Sale/Exchange

Want to upgarde 80486 or Sale/Exchange

Thaqalain

I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
Main Processor: 80486
Numeric Processor: Present
A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
B: 1.2MB,5.5"
Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
Dec11/1991
ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
Base Memory: 640KB
Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB
Hard Disk D: None
Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
Parallel Port(s): 378

When I make it on showing follwoing:
Segate Technology
Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95

Starting Ontrack
Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette
(Note:I don't have any)

I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for windows
installation but of no success.Need help.
Is this system can be upgarded to work in Windows 98/XP environment.
Is there any part I can keep for future use before disposing it off.
Is there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

pcbutts1

Throw it away or give it to someone you don't know.

"Thaqalain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
> Main Processor: 80486
> Numeric Processor: Present
> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
> A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
> Dec11/1991
> ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
> Base Memory: 640KB
> Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
> Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB
> Hard Disk D: None
> Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
> Parallel Port(s): 378
>
> When I make it on showing follwoing:
> Segate Technology
> Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
> Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
>
> Starting Ontrack
> Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette
> (Note:I don't have any)
>
> I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for windows
> installation but of no success.Need help.
> Is this system can be upgarded to work in Windows 98/XP environment.
> Is there any part I can keep for future use before disposing it off.
> Is there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

Plato

Thaqalain wrote:

> I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
> Main Processor: 80486
> Numeric Processor: Present
> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc

It's not worth the trouble. It wont be able to handle any new os or
apps.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

pengulin

You added a hard drive. Recently?
If it's anything over 10 GB, yank it out.

farseer

if you have some hobby that can use that processor, good. otherwise
it's not really worth much at all...i'd just dump it or make it into
jewelry.

What's in a Name?

Thaqalain wrote:
> Is there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

I have some too if you want em
2-286
5-386
7-486
got 2 IBMs with 75mz and 100mz and a compaq laptop 25mz with win95 too
-max

Barry OGrady

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:22:31 GMT, "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Throw it away or give it to someone you don't know.

I have a 486 system I am willing to give away.

>--
>

>The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>

>"Thaqalain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
>> Main Processor: 80486
>> Numeric Processor: Present
>> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
>> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
>> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
>> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
>> A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
>> Dec11/1991
>> ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
>> Base Memory: 640KB
>> Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
>> Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB
>> Hard Disk D: None
>> Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
>> Parallel Port(s): 378
>>
>> When I make it on showing follwoing:
>> Segate Technology
>> Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
>> Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
>>
>> Starting Ontrack
>> Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette
>> (Note:I don't have any)
>>
>> I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for windows
>> installation but of no success.Need help.
>> Is this system can be upgarded to work in Windows 98/XP environment.
>> Is there any part I can keep for future use before disposing it off.
>> Is there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Barry OGrady

On 27 Jun 2005 12:43:03 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

>Thaqalain wrote:
>>
>> I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
>> Main Processor: 80486
>> Numeric Processor: Present
>> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
>> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
>> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
>> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc

>It's not worth the trouble. It wont be able to handle any new os or
>apps.

It would run Windows 95B easily.

>--
>http://www.bootdisk.com/

Barry
=====

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On "Thaqalain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
|>Main Processor: 80486
|>Numeric Processor: Present
|>A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
|>B: 1.2MB,5.5"
|>Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
|>ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
|> A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
|> Dec11/1991
|>ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
|>Base Memory: 640KB
|>Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
|>Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB
|>Hard Disk D: None
|>Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
|>Parallel Port(s): 378
|>
|>When I make it on showing follwoing:
|>Segate Technology
|>Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
|>Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
|>
|>Starting Ontrack
|>Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette
|>(Note:I don't have any)

Try Max Blast http://tinyurl.com/8t6w9 to remove ontrack and install
the Maxtor overlay.

--
http://watleyreview.com/2005/062105-1.html

Plato

Barry OGrady wrote:

> >> I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
> >> Main Processor: 80486
> >> Numeric Processor: Present
> >> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
> >> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
> >> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
> >> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc

> >It's not worth the trouble. It wont be able to handle any new os or
> >apps.

> It would run Windows 95B easily.

That's why I said apps also. The first thing that will happen if you go
and sell it or give it away to a buddy is he'll install the latest AOL
and toast it.