Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Media Player won't play an MP3 file

Windows Media Player won't play an MP3 file

Grace

I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the song.
I get this error message:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress the
file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
Is there a way around this one?

Thanks,
Grace

Grace wrote:

> I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
> song. I get this error message:
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
> the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
> the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
> Is there a way around this one?

Boot up on liveCDs like knoppix or mepis and then
play all your MP3's to heart's content if its still a
standard MP3 file.
Kantix also comes with streamtuner to tune into 10,000+ internet
radio stations. All liveCDs free and available from this link
with source code.

MJP

"Grace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:newscache$ddtoii$uk9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
> song. I get this error message:
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
> the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
> the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
> Is there a way around this one?
>
> Thanks,
> Grace

Try the program GSPOT, it is designed to find the codecs used for avi files
but also seems to work with MP3's .There may also be a dedicated program for
mp3's.

MJP

Toolman Tim

"Grace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:newscache$ddtoii$uk9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
> song. I get this error message:
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
> the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
> the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
> Is there a way around this one?

Where did you get the MP3? Is it something you downloaded? The file could be
corrupt, or misnamed if it is from a non-reputable source. I once downloaded
a file from a P2P network that was supposed to be an MP3 but turned out to
be something quite different (and inappropriate, I might add.)

Rick Merrill

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "Grace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:newscache$ddtoii$uk9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play the
>>song. I get this error message:
>>"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
>>the file type or might not support the codecs that was used to compress
>>the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
>>Is there a way around this one?
>>

> Where did you get the MP3? Is it something you downloaded? The file could be
> corrupt, or misnamed if it is from a non-reputable source. I once downloaded
> a file from a P2P network that was supposed to be an MP3 but turned out to
> be something quite different (and inappropriate, I might add.)

And if it came as an email attachment, save it to disk, then open it.

Ian Jackson

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rick Merrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Toolman Tim wrote:
>> "Grace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:newscache$ddtoii$uk9$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>>I've got Windows Media Player 10 and on one MP3 file it won't play
>>>the song. I get this error message:
>>>"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not
>>>support the file type or might not support the codecs that was used
>>>to compress the file". I can play all other MP3 files ok.
>>>Is there a way around this one?
>>>

>> Where did you get the MP3? Is it something you downloaded? The file
>>could be corrupt, or misnamed if it is from a non-reputable source. I
>>once downloaded a file from a P2P network that was supposed to be an
>>MP3 but turned out to be something quite different (and
>>inappropriate, I might add.)
>>

>And if it came as an email attachment, save it to disk, then open it.

Try playing it with Irfanview. I have found that this will play things
which other players don't like the look of. If it plays, do a 'Copy
File'. You may find that the copy then plays OK with other players.
Occasionally, simply playing something with Irfanview makes it playable
with other players.
Ian.