Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Homework question

Homework question

FML

So, I'm taking a "Networking and Telecomunications" class. The following
discussion question is part of my homework due Monday:

Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?

So, I'm thinking its all about how we define "universal". If we define
it literally as "the whole friggin' universe" then duh, the answer is
clearly: "No". I will point out that we already don't use TCP/IP even to
connect with satellites or spacecraft.

If we define universal as "global", then we can argue that TCP/IP being
the protocol of the internet is already global and therefore universal.

If we define universal as "the only one", then again, duh, it will never
be TCP/IP. I will point out security and latency issues to name a few
reasons why not.

When I write my paper, I will try not to use words like: "duh" and
"friggin'" (although I may).

I'm sure the 24HH has some thoughts on the universality of TCP/IP and I
would like to get some universal opinions/views on the subject (pun
intended). (I wonder how I footnote 24HH).

pcbutts1

Well Apple has dropped AppleTalk in favor of TCP/IP.

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, I'm taking a "Networking and Telecomunications" class. The following
> discussion question is part of my homework due Monday:
>
> Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?
>
> So, I'm thinking its all about how we define "universal". If we define it
> literally as "the whole friggin' universe" then duh, the answer is
> clearly: "No". I will point out that we already don't use TCP/IP even to
> connect with satellites or spacecraft.
>
> If we define universal as "global", then we can argue that TCP/IP being
> the protocol of the internet is already global and therefore universal.
>
> If we define universal as "the only one", then again, duh, it will never
> be TCP/IP. I will point out security and latency issues to name a few
> reasons why not.
>
> When I write my paper, I will try not to use words like: "duh" and
> "friggin'" (although I may).
>
> I'm sure the 24HH has some thoughts on the universality of TCP/IP and I
> would like to get some universal opinions/views on the subject (pun
> intended). (I wonder how I footnote 24HH).

why?

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:10:22 -0500, FML wrote:

>So, I'm taking a "Networking and Telecomunications" class. The following
> discussion question is part of my homework due Monday:
>
>Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?
>
>So, I'm thinking its all about how we define "universal". If we define

<snip>

That's not the question, so the answer is 'no'.

Me

Duane Arnold

It's much to do about *nothing*.

Duane

Jimmy Dean

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:10:22 -0500, FML <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, I'm taking a "Networking and Telecomunications" class. The following
> discussion question is part of my homework due Monday:
>
>Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?
>
>So, I'm thinking its all about how we define "universal". If we define
>it literally as "the whole friggin' universe" then duh, the answer is
>clearly: "No". I will point out that we already don't use TCP/IP even to
>connect with satellites or spacecraft.
>
>If we define universal as "global", then we can argue that TCP/IP being
>the protocol of the internet is already global and therefore universal.
>
>If we define universal as "the only one", then again, duh, it will never
>be TCP/IP. I will point out security and latency issues to name a few
>reasons why not.
>
>When I write my paper, I will try not to use words like: "duh" and
>"friggin'" (although I may).
>
>I'm sure the 24HH has some thoughts on the universality of TCP/IP and I
>would like to get some universal opinions/views on the subject (pun
>intended). (I wonder how I footnote 24HH).

Try trolling

jd

Plato

FML wrote:

> Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?

It that a 30 year old question?

FML

Plato spewed forth...

> FML wrote:
>>
>> Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?

> It that a 30 year old question?

Yeah. I think this professor hasn't been out and about in a while.
Or he is lazy and is taking test questions from exams from the 70s.

Question on homework.... simple Java 1 11-19-2012 12:38 AM
not a homework question Three Headed Monkey C Programming 35 03-17-2008 09:40 PM
Re: [OT] Homework - Was Re: java programe help Andrew Thompson Java 33 10-30-2004 11:55 AM
Need some help for some perl homework.... Perl 0 02-25-2004 01:45 AM
need help with homework Rhino Java 1 11-16-2003 06:52 PM

Advertisments