Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Floppy Drive Problem

Floppy Drive Problem

Walter Mitty

My floppy drive ceases to work. I'm running XP Home. The drive appears in
the device manager list and shows to be working ok but when I double click
My Computer all the drives are there with the exception of the floppy. I
have run the hardware wizard with no joy. I have installed another floppy
drive with no joy. My floppy drive works on the other pc.The floppy lights
do not come on when starting my pc or when inserting a floppy.
Does anyone have any pointers for me to go on?

Plato

Walter Mitty wrote:

> My floppy drive ceases to work. I'm running XP Home. The drive appears in
> the device manager list and shows to be working ok but when I double click
> My Computer all the drives are there with the exception of the floppy. I
> have run the hardware wizard with no joy. I have installed another floppy
> drive with no joy. My floppy drive works on the other pc.The floppy lights
> do not come on when starting my pc or when inserting a floppy.
> Does anyone have any pointers for me to go on?

Does it work after booting with a dos bootdisk? If not, then either the
bios is set incorrectly or the drive/cable is bad, or the power to the
drive is bad.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Adi

Check what is run as resident program. Put them all in Close status and then
check that will floppy work.
If works you must find program that disturb it is switch to ON (you see it
in status line).

"Walter Mitty" <(E-Mail Removed)> je napisal v sporočilo
news:EtNue.3003$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> My floppy drive ceases to work. I'm running XP Home. The drive appears in
> the device manager list and shows to be working ok but when I double click
> My Computer all the drives are there with the exception of the floppy. I
> have run the hardware wizard with no joy. I have installed another floppy
> drive with no joy. My floppy drive works on the other pc.The floppy lights
> do not come on when starting my pc or when inserting a floppy.
> Does anyone have any pointers for me to go on?

Walter Mitty

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:42bbb5c7$1$90581$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Does it work after booting with a dos bootdisk? If not, then either the
> bios is set incorrectly or the drive/cable is bad, or the power to the
> drive is bad.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Hi there Plato. I have tried everything I can think of. I have put in the
disk before booting but it just doesn't realize that the floppy is inserted
and won't read it. I have the BIOS set to 1st boot floppy, seek floppy. the
cables all check out as the drive & cable works on another pc. I even put
the cable in the wrong way and all I got was the floppy light staying on as
expected.

Walter Mitty

"Adi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VMOue.12916$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check what is run as resident program. Put them all in Close status and
> then check that will floppy work.
> If works you must find program that disturb it is switch to ON (you see it
> in status line).
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

any resident programs I can think of would be calculator,calendar etc. What
is the path to check this out.

Ben Myers

Go into the BIOS setup and make sure the drive is set up as a 3.5 inch
1.44 megabyte drive. Be sure to save any changes when exiting.

Ben

"Walter Mitty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:EtNue.3003$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My floppy drive ceases to work. I'm running XP Home. The drive appears in
> the device manager list and shows to be working ok but when I double click
> My Computer all the drives are there with the exception of the floppy. I
> have run the hardware wizard with no joy. I have installed another floppy
> drive with no joy. My floppy drive works on the other pc.The floppy lights
> do not come on when starting my pc or when inserting a floppy.
> Does anyone have any pointers for me to go on?

pengulin

> Hi there Plato. I have tried everything I can think of. I have put in the
> disk before booting but it just doesn't realize that the floppy is

inserted
> and won't read it. I have the BIOS set to 1st boot floppy, seek floppy.

the
> cables all check out as the drive & cable works on another pc. I even put
> the cable in the wrong way and all I got was the floppy light staying on

as
> expected.

The fact that the drive light does not flash at all seems to indicate a
power issue. Even if bios was set incorrectly drive should flash briefly one
time when system powers on. Since you pulled the drive and the data cable
and it works in a different machine, I suspect the power lead on the machine
in which the drive doesn't work. I believe you said you tried a different
drive in the same machine, and that didn't work either? Since power supplies
often have two small power leads, I would try the alternate power lead. If
there is no alternate power lead that will fit the floppy drive, you could
find an adaptor at any computer store (not office max or staples) that will
convert a standard power lead to a small floppy power lead.

Adi

I do not know how many program you have in Startup group (some have to 30
programs runinng as resident).
Left click on icon and Exit one by one.
I tell you this because i have same problem and removing a one bad program
floppy works normal again.

(E-Mail Removed)

"Walter Mitty" <(E-Mail Removed)> je napisal v sporočilo
news:UtPue.3356$(E-Mail Removed) ...