Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Digital vs analog monitor feed

Digital vs analog monitor feed

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
just to have digital output. Thanks.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
|>monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
|>with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
|>know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
|>only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
|>know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
|>better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
|>certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
|>just to have digital output. Thanks.

You didn't read the article I post'd to your previous quest.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/budg..._roundup_0405/
(page 3 for you)

FWIW Viewsonic didn't come out too well.

FML

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
> monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
> with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
> know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
> only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
> know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
> better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
> certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
> just to have digital output. Thanks.

Even the output of a "cheap" DVI video card is superior to that of an
expesive analog card as far as picture quality goes and true color.

Think of it like this: If a pixel is supposed to be blue, the digital
card sends out the value for blue and the monitor displays the value for
blue. The analog card sends out a voltage for the pixel's color and
the A/D converter "converts" the voltage to an approximate value that
then gets displayed. So, it is exact vs approximate.

My wife has a Samsung 19" LCD that was attached to an analog video card.
I upgraded her video card to a DVI capable one and the difference is
quite noticeable IMHO.

jerryg50@hotmail.com

We are using the same monitors in our offices. This is an excellent
monitor. If you have a very high end analog card, the image will be
very good in the VGA mode. Using the DVI mode, will add to the image
quality. If you are doing critical work, there will be some visual
improvement.

If you are very critical, and know what you are looking for, there will
be a difference with the DVI. When buying the monitor, you are paying
for this option in the monitor, in this case alone, you have
justification to have the card.

Jerry G.
======

rfdjr1@optonline.net

You're right. Sorry. But I lost the thread from my last post and accordingly
lost the link you sent me.

>|>Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
>|>monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
>|>with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
>|>know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
>|>only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
>|>know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
>|>better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
>|>certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
>|>just to have digital output. Thanks.
>
>You didn't read the article I post'd to your previous quest.
>
>http://firingsquad.com/hardware/budg..._roundup_0405/
>(page 3 for you)
>
>FWIW Viewsonic didn't come out too well.

unwashed

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat
> panel
> monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I
> ended up
> with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now
> this. I
> know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video
> card
> only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I
> want to
> know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really
> get
> better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated
> at a
> certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new
> card
> just to have digital output. Thanks.

You are at least "Future-proofed" inasmuch Hi-Def imaging will only be
available
via a digital connection DVI or HDMI, - both these digital connections are
identical
signals, but the interface of each is diff - but easily connected via
afordable adapters,
example being, you have opted for monitor with DVI interface - future
upgrade to
a digital graphics card will also include this specific interface, so
compatibilty
between your newly purchased digital monitor and PC digital card is no
problem.
But if/when you intend to also connect the digital output from PC to a
widecreen-
Hi-Definition Plasma - these are fitted with HDMI interface, the actual
digital signal
is identical so all that is required is a standalone DVI/HDMI adapter
(connect DVI
output-from-PC-to-adapter-to-HDMI-Hi-Def- large screen plasma). Currently
such
DVI/HDMI adapters are available for approx $50, but prices will drop
The various professional/industry hardware and software forums have all
agreed
that because of all types of software/film piracy now being widespread and
simple,
That the easiest and most assured method of "copyright" protection of
"Hi-Def"
material is to only allow via a digital signal that incorporates "HDCP"
(copy protection)
Though it will only be a matter of time until a "crack" application becomes
available -
( A digital/Hi-Def version of DVDshrink or DVDdecrypter perhaps??)
Your digital monitor is also equipped with an analog connection thus
ensuring
compatibilty with existing analog graphics cards, and this is the
configuration you
are currently using, in this context you won't notice any diff with your
digital monitor
and any similar analog-only pixel/definition monitor you may connect to your
analog
graphics card, you will however see, when playing back High Definition
material
via a digital output to DVI input on monitor - dramatically improved
imaging -
almost 40% increase line resolution at 720, spectacularly improved color
rendition,
depth-of-field etc etc, - But only "Hi-Def" material, via a digital out to
digital display!
And that is impressive, you have at least got a compatible "future proof"
digital
monitor so you are on the right track.

Rick Merrill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
> monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
> with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
> know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
> only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
> know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
> better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
> certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
> just to have digital output. Thanks.

Your connectors are
Analog 15-pin mini D-subx2
Digital Digital DVI-D

So you'll need a card that outputs to the DVI-D.

Otherwise you are still using computer (digital to analog) ==> display
(analog to digital).