Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ADSL line keeps dropping :-(

ADSL line keeps dropping :-(

MATTHEW COX

My ADSL line keeps droping the speedtouch diagnostics shows the line has
gone and after 5 seconds to 5 mins comes back and theni can reconnect my bt
yahoo! adsl connection, anyone know why this keeps happening Bt yahoo have
seem to done nothing and dont want to reply as far as i know i sent 1st
message on the contact us in bt yahoo help 4-5 days ago no reply......
Thanks for any help anyone can give me

pcbutts1

Get dial up its more reliable. Install SP2 or could be Spyware trying to
hijack you. Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
it can be analyzed.

HijackThis

"MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:d9ep79$msk$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com
> My ADSL line keeps droping the speedtouch diagnostics shows the line
> has gone and after 5 seconds to 5 mins comes back and theni can
> reconnect my bt yahoo! adsl connection, anyone know why this keeps
> happening Bt yahoo have seem to done nothing and dont want to reply
> as far as i know i sent 1st message on the contact us in bt yahoo
> help 4-5 days ago no reply...... Thanks for any help anyone can
> give me

MATTHEW COX

i use mcafee virus scan, mcafee firewall plus, mcafee antispy, ms sntispy,
spy-bot s&sd, ad-aware plus, have sp2 and all updates, problem only occured
about 5-6 days ago and go a little worse each day checked drivers and
updated to latest tried different usb port for adsl modem tried another rj11
cable tried looking for driver conflicts cant think of anythign else i have
done..... but bt yahoo! dont seem to want to reply or something...... i had
dial-up once and it was soo **** it lost connection all the time....... had
ADSL allmost 2 years now and appart from when our phoneline was replaced
about 6 months ago its been fine.......

Any Help Much Appreciated,

Matthew Cox

> Get dial up its more reliable. Install SP2 or could be Spyware trying to
> hijack you. Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
> Spybot search and destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
>
> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
> save
> a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
> it can be analyzed.
>
> HijackThis
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
>

> "MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:d9ep79$msk$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com
>> My ADSL line keeps droping the speedtouch diagnostics shows the line
>> has gone and after 5 seconds to 5 mins comes back and theni can
>> reconnect my bt yahoo! adsl connection, anyone know why this keeps
>> happening Bt yahoo have seem to done nothing and dont want to reply
>> as far as i know i sent 1st message on the contact us in bt yahoo
>> help 4-5 days ago no reply...... Thanks for any help anyone can
>> give me

pcbutts1

Get wireless then. It's always there. You just can't see it.

"MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:d9eq19$5ns$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com
> i use mcafee virus scan, mcafee firewall plus, mcafee antispy, ms
> sntispy, spy-bot s&sd, ad-aware plus, have sp2 and all updates,
> problem only occured about 5-6 days ago and go a little worse each
> day checked drivers and updated to latest tried different usb port
> for adsl modem tried another rj11 cable tried looking for driver
> conflicts cant think of anythign else i have done..... but bt yahoo!
> dont seem to want to reply or something...... i had dial-up once and
> it was soo **** it lost connection all the time....... had ADSL
> allmost 2 years now and appart from when our phoneline was replaced
> about 6 months ago its been fine.......
> Any Help Much Appreciated,
>
> Matthew Cox
>
> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Get dial up its more reliable. Install SP2 or could be Spyware
>> trying to hijack you. Download, install, update and run all of the
>> following. Ad-Aware
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>>
>> Spybot search and destroy
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
>>
>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
>>
>> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
>> it, save
>> a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group
>> so that it can be analyzed.
>>
>> HijackThis
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
>>

>> "MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:d9ep79$msk$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com
>>> My ADSL line keeps droping the speedtouch diagnostics shows the line
>>> has gone and after 5 seconds to 5 mins comes back and theni can
>>> reconnect my bt yahoo! adsl connection, anyone know why this keeps
>>> happening Bt yahoo have seem to done nothing and dont want to reply
>>> as far as i know i sent 1st message on the contact us in bt yahoo
>>> help 4-5 days ago no reply...... Thanks for any help anyone can
>>> give me

MATTHEW COX

nothing to do with my equipment tried 3 pc's now and laptop and 3 adsl
modems of which 1 i borrowed and 2 of my own..... gunna phone them soon
again and if busy still i am gunna change service tosomething like shitty
aol....., or wanado, who knows just who knows.......

> Get wireless then. It's always there. You just can't see it.
>
> "MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:d9eq19$5ns$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com
>> i use mcafee virus scan, mcafee firewall plus, mcafee antispy, ms
>> sntispy, spy-bot s&sd, ad-aware plus, have sp2 and all updates,
>> problem only occured about 5-6 days ago and go a little worse each
>> day checked drivers and updated to latest tried different usb port
>> for adsl modem tried another rj11 cable tried looking for driver
>> conflicts cant think of anythign else i have done..... but bt yahoo!
>> dont seem to want to reply or something...... i had dial-up once and
>> it was soo **** it lost connection all the time....... had ADSL
>> allmost 2 years now and appart from when our phoneline was replaced
>> about 6 months ago its been fine.......
>> Any Help Much Appreciated,
>>
>> Matthew Cox
>>
>> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Get dial up its more reliable. Install SP2 or could be Spyware
>>> trying to hijack you. Download, install, update and run all of the
>>> following. Ad-Aware
>>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>>>
>>> Spybot search and destroy
>>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
>>>
>>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
>>>
>>> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
>>> it, save
>>> a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group
>>> so that it can be analyzed.
>>>
>>> HijackThis
>>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
>>>

>>> "MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:d9ep79$msk$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com

George

"MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:d9ep79$msk$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> My ADSL line keeps droping the speedtouch diagnostics shows the line
> has gone and after 5 seconds to 5 mins comes back and theni can
> reconnect my bt yahoo! adsl connection, anyone know why this keeps
> happening Bt yahoo have seem to done nothing and dont want to reply as
> far as i know i sent 1st message on the contact us in bt yahoo help
> 4-5 days ago no reply...... Thanks for any help anyone can give me

See if there is anyway you can check your local/remote anntenuation
levels. Ideally, there should be well below 60db. There would usually be
a menu called 'status' or DSL link that would tell you these values.
Also, check your physical connections. Make sure that you are not using
any normal telephone extension cables, and that every socket is
filtered. Also, could you tell us if the DSL/Link led on your modem goes
out when the connection drops please.

Geo

Duane Arnold

MATTHEW COX wrote:

> My ADSL line keeps droping the speedtouch diagnostics shows the line has
> gone and after 5 seconds to 5 mins comes back and theni can reconnect my
> bt yahoo! adsl connection, anyone know why this keeps happening Bt yahoo
> have seem to done nothing and dont want to reply as far as i know i sent
> 1st message on the contact us in bt yahoo help 4-5 days ago no reply......
> Thanks for any help anyone can give me

You should have the ISP check the line. Maybe, the Seedtouch is going
defective.

Duane

bejay

> "MATTHEW COX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:d9ep79$msk$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com
>> My ADSL line keeps droping the speedtouch diagnostics shows the line
>> has gone and after 5 seconds to 5 mins comes back and theni can
>> reconnect my bt yahoo! adsl connection, anyone know why this keeps
>> happening Bt yahoo have seem to done nothing and dont want to reply
>> as far as i know i sent 1st message on the contact us in bt yahoo
>> help 4-5 days ago no reply...... Thanks for any help anyone can
>> give me

Have you tried a new ADSL filter(s) on the phone line(s)? A faulty one can
cause intermittent drop outs of the connection.

bejay

pengulin

It would definitely be helpful to know if you are dropping sync. There
should be a sync light on the modem. Even if not dropping sync, if and when
you get ahold of ISP, ask them to do an ATM ping (have them do this while
you are having the problem).
As noted by others in this thread, improperly installed or defective filters
are often the cause of dsl signal issues. All telephones, fax machines,
dialup modems, satelite or cable receiver boxes (upstream links), answering
machines, alarm systems etc. should be filtered out. Actually, alarm systems
are a little more difficult, given that they are usually directly wired into
the phone system.

pcbutts1

You worthless troll, stop forging me!