Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft works

Microsoft works

jan

After a computer crash I have been going through everything putting things
back in there place, problem is this, when
I try and run works it just gives me this error message:

'Works cannot access one or more files it needs to run the word processor.
The files may have been renamed, deleted or moved.
Try reinstalling works and then starting the program again'

Well I have reinstalled the program three times now and its driving me mad!!
Any help would be most appreciated
thanks a lot
jan

Parko

jan wrote:
> After a computer crash I have been going through everything putting things
> back in there place, problem is this, when
> I try and run works it just gives me this error message:
>
> 'Works cannot access one or more files it needs to run the word processor.
> The files may have been renamed, deleted or moved.
> Try reinstalling works and then starting the program again'
>
> Well I have reinstalled the program three times now and its driving me mad!!
> Any help would be most appreciated
> thanks a lot
> jan

Try OpenOffice.org instead
http://www.openoffice.org/

birch

What OS is it.
are you admin to the computer?
"jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d99t01$4ih$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After a computer crash I have been going through everything putting things
> back in there place, problem is this, when
> I try and run works it just gives me this error message:
>
> 'Works cannot access one or more files it needs to run the word processor.
> The files may have been renamed, deleted or moved.
> Try reinstalling works and then starting the program again'
>
> Well I have reinstalled the program three times now and its driving me

mad!!
> Any help would be most appreciated
> thanks a lot
> jan

jan

sorry, its xp home and yes I am the main administrator

"birch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What OS is it.
> are you admin to the computer?
> "jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d99t01$4ih$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After a computer crash I have been going through everything putting
>> things
>> back in there place, problem is this, when
>> I try and run works it just gives me this error message:
>>
>> 'Works cannot access one or more files it needs to run the word
>> processor.
>> The files may have been renamed, deleted or moved.
>> Try reinstalling works and then starting the program again'
>>
>> Well I have reinstalled the program three times now and its driving me

> mad!!
>> Any help would be most appreciated
>> thanks a lot
>> jan

Sunny

Worth a browse through this ?

"jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9av1o$rbj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> sorry, its xp home and yes I am the main administrator
>
> "birch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What OS is it.
>> are you admin to the computer?
>> "jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d99t01$4ih$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> After a computer crash I have been going through everything putting
>>> things
>>> back in there place, problem is this, when
>>> I try and run works it just gives me this error message:
>>>
>>> 'Works cannot access one or more files it needs to run the word
>>> processor.
>>> The files may have been renamed, deleted or moved.
>>> Try reinstalling works and then starting the program again'
>>>
>>> Well I have reinstalled the program three times now and its driving me

>> mad!!
>>> Any help would be most appreciated
>>> thanks a lot
>>> jan

jan

Brilliant, thanks a lot
Jan

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JE7ue.217$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Worth a browse through this ?
>
> "jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d9av1o$rbj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> sorry, its xp home and yes I am the main administrator
>>
>> "birch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What OS is it.
>>> are you admin to the computer?
>>> "jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:d99t01$4ih$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> mad!!

hanznelson19@comcast.net hanznelson19@comcast.net is offline
Junior Member

Jan, I had the same problem and just fixed it a few seconds ago lol.
Uninstall Microsoft works, then go under my computer and search for any other microsoft works folder from before the crash including any other program that came with it ( i.e. microsoft money ect..).

Those old files are interferring with the new files, so deleting them forces works to create new files.

Also, I didn;t have to, but the forum that helped me, said to do everything I just told you and then start windows in safe mode (hit the F8 key a few times during startup) and reinstall works in that mode.
Mine installed fine without restarting in safe mode though.

http://www.developerfood.com/re-inst...d/article.aspx