Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > firewalls

firewalls

Jane

I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.

Can anyone recommend one?

Jane

Usenet

"Jane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9723c$sr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.
>
> Can anyone recommend one?

You want to pay for it or free?
I use Kerio FW but it's an older version cos' the new one sucks but it's
free.
I use McAfee VS just because it was also free (although it's a commercial
app so you'll need to pay).

I've had no issue with either .. run fine and protect me well enough.

Dave Lear

"Jane" wrote in message news:d9723c$sr$(E-Mail Removed)

> I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.
> Can anyone recommend one?

Sure, but it's likely to depend on which Operating System you want it for,
i.e. if Windows, which version?

why?

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:32:09 +0100, Jane wrote:

>I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.
>
>Can anyone recommend one?

I use eTrust ezAntivirus / Outpost Pro FW on several PCs, this
combination works well and hasn't had any problems.

A few others use Outpost FW anwith F-Prot AV. Yet another has F-Prot AV
and BlackICE for FW.

The newest PC , when it's running Windows XP 64bit will be using Avast
for AV. Otherwise it's a Linux box with it's own firewall.

Me

Duane Arnold

Jane wrote:

> I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.
>
> Can anyone recommend one?

You can look at Outpost, Sygate and ZA they are all free and they have paid
for versions too. I hear that ZA is the most user friendly out of all of
them.

AV NOD32 is not a bad choice and is becoming popular www.nod32.com and it
has a 25 day full trial version.

Duane

joevan

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:32:09 +0100, "Jane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.
>
>Can anyone recommend one?
>

>Jane

I use Kaspersky AV and Outpost firewall. They both work wonderfully
with xp. I personally wouldn't use anything else.
I also think you should use spybot -Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster,
ad aware, and if you wish Xoftspy. Check them out learn to use them
and you will be a happier computer user.
If you have problems currently get CW Shredder and Hijack This, and
use those. Check back to this group for help on any of those,
especially if you use Hijack This, don't delete anything until you
really know about it.

and for the same reason."

Ian Moyce

Jane wrote:
> I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.
>
> Can anyone recommend one?

www.apple.com

°Mike°

In <d9723c$sr$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jane took 9 lines to utter:

>I'm not sure was firewall & anti virus software to use.
>
>Can anyone recommend one?
>

>Jane

Assuming for home use:

Outpost Pro (firewall)