Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DHCP AND STATIC IP's through a router

DHCP AND STATIC IP's through a router

Colin Mckechnie

Ok i have a wee problem connecting a network at home

I have 2 pc's and xbox connecting fine through a router set up for DHCP i
want to put something else on the network but it will only work using a
static IP can i set 1 of my ports to have a static IP and the other 3 DHCP?
the router is a linksys 4 port cable router BFRS41 or something along those
lines?

Vanguard

"Colin Mckechnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AWDte.27663$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok i have a wee problem connecting a network at home
>
> I have 2 pc's and xbox connecting fine through a router set up for
> DHCP i want to put something else on the network but it will only work
> using a static IP can i set 1 of my ports to have a static IP and the
> other 3 DHCP? the router is a linksys 4 port cable router BFRS41 or
> something along those lines?

Unlike the D-Link that I had, the Linksys BEFSR41 does not allow
assigning static IP addresses to specific hosts based on their MAC
address. This was handy in that all hosts could simply be left in the
default TCP configuration of using DHCP and the D-Link router would
always assign the same IP address to a host based on its MAC address.
This allowed one central spot to manage your intranetwork's IP
addresses. With the Linksys BEFSR41, you have to go to the host where
you want a static IP address and define it that way in its TCP
properties. Instead of using DHCP, you specify what IP address that
host will always use. That means you now have to manage the static IP
addresses of all your hosts (by going to each one to [re]configure it).

Use a different range of IP addresses to avoid hitting one that your
router happens to assign using its DHCP server. The router has a range
you can specify within which it is allowed to assign dynamic IP
addresses. I believe the default for the Linksys is 192.168.1.100 to
192.168.1.149 (for a total of 50 IP addresses). So use a different
range for your IP addresses, like 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254. The
the router's DHCP server will never happen to assign a dynamic address
within the range you have set aside for static IP addresses. But you'll
have to wander over to each host to manually configure it to specify a
static IP address instead of using DHCP.

why?

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:29:52 GMT, Colin Mckechnie wrote:

>Ok i have a wee problem connecting a network at home
>
>I have 2 pc's and xbox connecting fine through a router set up for DHCP i
>want to put something else on the network but it will only work using a
>static IP can i set 1 of my ports to have a static IP and the other 3 DHCP?

Not perhaps in the way you think. Normally that type of router (read the
manual) has a pool of DHCP addresses, say 192.168.1 to 192.168.200 (you
should be able to alter the start / end / size of the pool.

All you need to simply do is set the 1 PC to a manually assigned
address, for the example above say 192.168.0.210 , if the pool is ver
large simply shrink it and use a address past the end of the new pool
range.

>the router is a linksys 4 port cable router BFRS41 or something along those
>lines?

If you then want to make the Pc with the static IP have a visible
external service, say mail or www there is another step you need. Again
read the manual and look for port forwarding also see
http://www.portforward.com/

The way this works is taking the public IP ( address from your post
headers ) 62.253.181.155 and if you are running a webserver on port 80 ,
you configure port forwarding to take those external public values and
forward them to the internal 192.168.0.210 port 80, PC.

Next search 24HSHD
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...port.helpdesk?
and look for the many bits of advice and URLs to home networking sites
that are often posted.

Other routers have a DMZ port for doing things like this, but you have
to be very careful your system is secure. Again search 24HSHD and try
www.google.com

Me

pcbutts1

Yes you can.

"Colin Mckechnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AWDte.27663$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok i have a wee problem connecting a network at home
>
> I have 2 pc's and xbox connecting fine through a router set up for DHCP i
> want to put something else on the network but it will only work using a
> static IP can i set 1 of my ports to have a static IP and the other 3
> DHCP? the router is a linksys 4 port cable router BFRS41 or something
> along those lines?

PJB

"Colin Mckechnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AWDte.27663$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok i have a wee problem connecting a network at home
>
> I have 2 pc's and xbox connecting fine through a router set up for DHCP i
> want to put something else on the network but it will only work using a
> static IP can i set 1 of my ports to have a static IP and the other 3

DHCP?
> the router is a linksys 4 port cable router BFRS41 or something along

those
> lines?

You can't normally specify which ports the DHCP server in your router uses,
but you don't need to. Give the "something else" a static address, but use
one outside of the range normally allocated by DHCP.

P.

Duane Arnold

Colin Mckechnie wrote:

> Ok i have a wee problem connecting a network at home
>
> I have 2 pc's and xbox connecting fine through a router set up for DHCP i
> want to put something else on the network but it will only work using a
> static IP can i set 1 of my ports to have a static IP and the other 3
> DHCP? the router is a linksys 4 port cable router BFRS41 or something
> along those lines?

A static IP is any IP on the router that is not under the control of the
DHCP Server on the Linksys router.

Linksys DHCP IP(s) usually start at 192.168.1.100 for whatever the DHCP
count is like 50. So the DHCP IP(s) are 192,168.1.100 to 192.168.1.151.

Any IP(s) not in that range are static IP(s).

So you would configure the NIC on the machine to NOT *Obtain an IP
Automatically*.

And you would enter the IP information manually:

1) IP = 192.168.1.2 or something like 192.168.2.1
2) Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 --- the Linksys' Subnet Mask IP
3) Gateway = 192.168.1.1 -- the Linksys' Device IP

Use the following DNS server address:

4) Those IP(s) will point the the ISP(s) DNS servers and there is an Admin
screen on the Linksys router that shows the public IP and the DNS IP(s) the
router is using and you'll use the two DNS IP(s) from that screen when
entering that information for the DNS IP(s) the NIC will use.

That's how you tell the NIC on the computer to use a static IP(s) on the
router.

Duane

doS

where did you learn to count?

100-151 is how many?

> Colin Mckechnie wrote:
>
> > Ok i have a wee problem connecting a network at home
> >
> > I have 2 pc's and xbox connecting fine through a router set up for DHCP

> > want to put something else on the network but it will only work using a
> > static IP can i set 1 of my ports to have a static IP and the other 3
> > DHCP? the router is a linksys 4 port cable router BFRS41 or something
> > along those lines?

> A static IP is any IP on the router that is not under the control of the
> DHCP Server on the Linksys router.
>
> Linksys DHCP IP(s) usually start at 192.168.1.100 for whatever the DHCP
> count is like 50. So the DHCP IP(s) are 192,168.1.100 to 192.168.1.151.
>
> Any IP(s) not in that range are static IP(s).
>
> So you would configure the NIC on the machine to NOT *Obtain an IP
> Automatically*.
>
> And you would enter the IP information manually:
>
> 1) IP = 192.168.1.2 or something like 192.168.2.1
> 2) Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 --- the Linksys' Subnet Mask IP
> 3) Gateway = 192.168.1.1 -- the Linksys' Device IP
>
> Use the following DNS server address:
>
> 4) Those IP(s) will point the the ISP(s) DNS servers and there is an Admin
> screen on the Linksys router that shows the public IP and the DNS IP(s)

the
> router is using and you'll use the two DNS IP(s) from that screen when
> entering that information for the DNS IP(s) the NIC will use.
>
> That's how you tell the NIC on the computer to use a static IP(s) on the
> router.
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

doS wrote:

> where did you learn to count?
>
> 100-151 is how many?

Is this all you have to do in life is act an ass?

Duane

> doS wrote:
>
> > where did you learn to count?
> >
> > 100-151 is how many?

> Is this all you have to do in life is act an ass?
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

doS wrote:

> where did you learn to count?
>
> 100-151 is how many?

The next time why don't you apply some of your technical expertise, if
that's possible <g>, instead of trying to bring up trouble that's going to
start *clowns* posting to me. I expect the Queen to show soon.

Duane