Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > need help with cd product key

need help with cd product key

Sly

i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so full
of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall win xp
that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on the
computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
something?

Pilbs

"Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so full
> of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall win
> xp
> that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
> the
> computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
> something?

try http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Victor Henry

"Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so full
> of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall win
> xp
> that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
> the
> computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
> something?

If you haven't reformatted yet, run Belarc Advisor which will list the key.
If you've already reformatted, you're screwed.

unwashed

"Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so full
> of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall win
> xp
> that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
> the
> computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
> something?

Well I don't believe you - so it's very doubtful MS will either!
You bought a used PC that also came with an "original" XP disk?
And assuming also drivers, software etc.
You performed a format, and now want a product key?
You can of course try this story with Microsoft, do let us know
what their response is!

Sly

yup reformatted already, hell, il send em the damn disc for proof if i gotta

"unwashed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d96u8u$5d9$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> "Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so

full
> > of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall

win
> > xp
> > that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
> > the
> > computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
> > something?
> >

> Well I don't believe you - so it's very doubtful MS will either!
> You bought a used PC that also came with an "original" XP disk?
> And assuming also drivers, software etc.
> You performed a format, and now want a product key?
> You can of course try this story with Microsoft, do let us know
> what their response is!

Sly

is it possible to install the win xp disc, then use a tool like
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml or rockxp.exe or something
to look for the key or whatever in the system files or registry or
something?

"unwashed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d96u8u$5d9$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> "Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so

full
> > of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall

win
> > xp
> > that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
> > the
> > computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
> > something?
> >

> Well I don't believe you - so it's very doubtful MS will either!
> You bought a used PC that also came with an "original" XP disk?
> And assuming also drivers, software etc.
> You performed a format, and now want a product key?
> You can of course try this story with Microsoft, do let us know
> what their response is!

pcbutts1

No. You need the key to install it.

> is it possible to install the win xp disc, then use a tool like
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml or rockxp.exe or something
> to look for the key or whatever in the system files or registry or
> something?
>
> "unwashed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d96u8u$5d9$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>
>> "Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so

> full
>> > of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall

> win
>> > xp
>> > that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
>> > the
>> > computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
>> > something?
>> >

>> Well I don't believe you - so it's very doubtful MS will either!
>> You bought a used PC that also came with an "original" XP disk?
>> And assuming also drivers, software etc.
>> You performed a format, and now want a product key?
>> You can of course try this story with Microsoft, do let us know
>> what their response is!

Vanguard

"Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so
>full
> of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall
> win xp
> that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not
> on the
> computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
> something?

You sure the sticker isn't on the bottom or backside of the computer
case or laptop? If it is a desktop unit, look inside the removable side
panel. Since you already formatted the drive, you won't be able to
recover the product key from the registry that no longer exists. If the
product key is not on the CD jewel case, sleeve, or trifold wallet then
the seller never gave you a legal copy of the software. I've even seen
large companies sell off old equipment claiming that Windows was
included when in fact all they did was sell off the hardware without
cleaning the hard drive (i.e., a legal copy of the software was never
included).

I'm not sure Microsoft will accept you mailing in the original
3-dimensionally printed compact disc because they don't know that you
didn't purloin it or "borrow it" from someone else and they would end up
giving out another key for someone that already had one (and was lying
about not having one) which results in a user obtaining lots of product
keys for one copy of their software. Easiest way to find out would be
to call them where "them" is both the seller to see if they will provide
a legal copy of the software and also Microsoft if the seller refuses to
comply.

Sly

how does one contact microsoft?

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Sly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so
> >full
> > of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall
> > win xp
> > that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not
> > on the
> > computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
> > something?
> >

> You sure the sticker isn't on the bottom or backside of the computer
> case or laptop? If it is a desktop unit, look inside the removable side
> panel. Since you already formatted the drive, you won't be able to
> recover the product key from the registry that no longer exists. If the
> product key is not on the CD jewel case, sleeve, or trifold wallet then
> the seller never gave you a legal copy of the software. I've even seen
> large companies sell off old equipment claiming that Windows was
> included when in fact all they did was sell off the hardware without
> cleaning the hard drive (i.e., a legal copy of the software was never
> included).
>
> I'm not sure Microsoft will accept you mailing in the original
> 3-dimensionally printed compact disc because they don't know that you
> didn't purloin it or "borrow it" from someone else and they would end up
> giving out another key for someone that already had one (and was lying
> about not having one) which results in a user obtaining lots of product
> keys for one copy of their software. Easiest way to find out would be
> to call them where "them" is both the seller to see if they will provide
> a legal copy of the software and also Microsoft if the seller refuses to
> comply.

Ghostrider

Sly wrote:
> how does one contact microsoft?

Go to Microsoft's website and look up the contact info.
But, there are too many limitations on what Microsoft would
constitute to be a legal transfer of license and this would
essentially involve a retail version of Windows XP. If the
Windows XP Home cdrom that was bought with the computer is
not a retail version (viz., OEM, branded or not), then don't
even bother contacting MS...buy your own retail version or
get the product key from the original seller.