Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVDs won't read, CDs will

DVDs won't read, CDs will

da cheet

I'm suddenly having problems with my dvd/cd drive, an Optorite 1250...
(dvd r/rw)

It reads cds fine, but no matter what DVD I put in there it doesn't
recognize it (both data dvds and video dvds)

It always says there's no disk in the drive, even though there is...

Any ideas? Thanks.

NotMe

da cheet wrote:
> I'm suddenly having problems with my dvd/cd drive, an Optorite 1250...
> (dvd r/rw)
>
> It reads cds fine, but no matter what DVD I put in there it doesn't
> recognize it (both data dvds and video dvds)
>
> It always says there's no disk in the drive, even though there is...
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Try removing the DVD player from device manager, reboot and let
WinDoze[?] reinstall the drivers.

NotMe

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On da cheet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I'm suddenly having problems with my dvd/cd drive, an Optorite 1250...
|>(dvd r/rw)
|>
|>It reads cds fine, but no matter what DVD I put in there it doesn't
|>recognize it (both data dvds and video dvds)
|>
|>It always says there's no disk in the drive, even though there is...
|>
|>Any ideas? Thanks.

When nothing else works, give Forceaspi a try.
http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

--
http://www.2flashgames.com/f/f-171.htm

da cheet

> When nothing else works, give Forceaspi a try.
> http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

Hmm, still doesn't recognize DVDs... it did up until this morning.

I killed/reinstalled my ASPI drivers, as well as uninstalling the drive
from device manager... and it still won't read any DVDs. CDs are fine.

Do cds and dvds use different lenses inside the drive? Could it maybe
be something with the drive itself?

old jon

"da cheet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uyhte.81675$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm suddenly having problems with my dvd/cd drive, an Optorite 1250...
> (dvd r/rw)
>
> It reads cds fine, but no matter what DVD I put in there it doesn't
> recognize it (both data dvds and video dvds)
>
> It always says there's no disk in the drive, even though there is...
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Reinstall\repair your read\write software, it might help. I think Roxio and
Nero
switch Win software off. bw..j