Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Get rid of XP startup password prompt

Get rid of XP startup password prompt

Gary

I friend just inherited his daughter's college laptop which required a
startup password to access the OS. He has the password but wants to be
rid of the screen totally. I'm sure there's a way and it's likely
related to the admin privileges in the control panel, but it isn't in
front of me to play with. Anyone know where to look to kill that screen?

docmill

Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Wd2dnTjbY56yVynfRVn-

> I friend just inherited his daughter's college laptop which required a
> startup password to access the OS. He has the password but wants to be
> rid of the screen totally. I'm sure there's a way and it's likely
> related to the admin privileges in the control panel, but it isn't in
> front of me to play with. Anyone know where to look to kill that screen?

Control userpasswords2, from the run command and click Ok.
Turn off the users.

--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

Duane Arnold

docmill wrote:

> Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Wd2dnTjbY56yVynfRVn-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I friend just inherited his daughter's college laptop which required a
>> startup password to access the OS. He has the password but wants to be
>> rid of the screen totally. I'm sure there's a way and it's likely
>> related to the admin privileges in the control panel, but it isn't in
>> front of me to play with. Anyone know where to look to kill that screen?

> Control userpasswords2, from the run command and click Ok.
> Turn off the users.

So what if the user is using the Home edition?

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6488.htm

Duane

Duane Arnold

Gary wrote:

> I friend just inherited his daughter's college laptop which required a
> startup password to access the OS. He has the password but wants to be
> rid of the screen totally. I'm sure there's a way and it's likely
> related to the admin privileges in the control panel, but it isn't in
> front of me to play with. Anyone know where to look to kill that screen?

Duane

Toolman Tim

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I friend just inherited his daughter's college laptop which required a
>startup password to access the OS. He has the password but wants to be rid
>of the screen totally. I'm sure there's a way and it's likely related to
>the admin privileges in the control panel, but it isn't in front of me to
>play with. Anyone know where to look to kill that screen?

If it were me, I'd teach him to leave it. It's a laptop - what happens if it
get stolen? All his personal data is wide open if there's no password.

On my laptop, I have the boot password set. I have a Windows login password
set (different, of course!) and all my important files are individually
pasword protected.

Yes, I had a laptop stolen once. I had to close all my bank accounts, cancel
all my credit cards, change my passwords on all my online accounts, etc. Now
my data is not going to be accessed by the casual thief, and even most pros
would be hard pressed to gain working access.

docmill

Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> docmill wrote:
>
>> Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Wd2dnTjbY56yVynfRVn-
>> (E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I friend just inherited his daughter's college laptop which required
>>> a startup password to access the OS. He has the password but wants
>>> to be rid of the screen totally. I'm sure there's a way and it's
>>> likely related to the admin privileges in the control panel, but it
>>> isn't in front of me to play with. Anyone know where to look to kill
>>> that screen?

>> Control userpasswords2, from the run command and click Ok.
>> Turn off the users.
>>

> So what if the user is using the Home edition?
>
> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6488.htm
>
> Duane

You just turn off the user?

--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

Duane Arnold

docmill wrote:

> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> docmill wrote:
>>
>>> Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Wd2dnTjbY56yVynfRVn-
>>> (E-Mail Removed):

>>> Control userpasswords2, from the run command and click Ok.
>>> Turn off the users.
>>>

>> So what if the user is using the Home edition?
>>
>> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6488.htm
>>
>> Duane

> You just turn off the user?

Not to be a smart ass here, but what does this have to do with setting an NT
based O/S to bypass the login screen at system boot?

Duane

> docmill wrote:
>
>> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> So what if the user is using the Home edition?
>>>
>>> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6488.htm
>>>
>>> Duane

>> You just turn off the user?
>>

> Not to be a smart ass here, but what does this have to do with setting
> an NT based O/S to bypass the login screen at system boot?
>
> Duane

That would be the user typing, so feel free.

--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

Duane Arnold

docmill wrote:

> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> docmill wrote:
>>
>>> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> You just turn off the user?
>>>

>> Not to be a smart ass here, but what does this have to do with setting
>> an NT based O/S to bypass the login screen at system boot?
>>
>> Duane
>>

> That would be the user typing, so feel free.

Yes, the user would go to the registry and enter some data to set the
machine to auto-logon with a user-id and PSW at system boot. I don't see
where turning off a user-id when the other user is not going to use that
user-id most likely and would likely use his own user-id and PSW.

On the other hand, the OP could be talking about bypassing the BIOS psw that
must be given before the machine even gets to a O/S logon screen, if that's
active.

> docmill wrote:
>
>> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> Not to be a smart ass here, but what does this have to do with
>>> setting an NT based O/S to bypass the login screen at system boot?
>>>
>>> Duane
>>>

>> That would be the user typing, so feel free.
>>

> Yes, the user would go to the registry and enter some data to set the
> machine to auto-logon with a user-id and PSW at system boot. I don't
> see where turning off a user-id when the other user is not going to
> use that user-id most likely and would likely use his own user-id and
> PSW.
>
> On the other hand, the OP could be talking about bypassing the BIOS
> psw that must be given before the machine even gets to a O/S logon
> screen, if that's active.
>
> Duane

Now let's not be a jack-ass and a smart-ass. You had a simple question
about a login screen, that according to the poster may be accessed from the
admin priv in control panel. Then you smart-assed about the system boot,
and now you have jack-assed two more likely's. And it still isn't about
the BIOS or disk boot password. Well, at least the poster got a half-assed
answer for his trouble.

--