Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > GPS Paranoia

GPS Paranoia

philo

well, my company gave us cellphones with GPS.
i assumed they did it so they could keep a watchful eye on us.
no more 2 hour coffee breaks i figured!

the other day i was in the office and they asked me if i could
take a service call for one of the other engineers.
sure, i said...but why can't you just have "John" handle it?

oh, we don't know where he is!

just what i thought...no one knows how to use it!

aaah, coffee time!

Vanguard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> well, my company gave us cellphones with GPS.
> i assumed they did it so they could keep a watchful eye on us.
> no more 2 hour coffee breaks i figured!
>
> the other day i was in the office and they asked me if i could
> take a service call for one of the other engineers.
> sure, i said...but why can't you just have "John" handle it?
>
> oh, we don't know where he is!
>

> just what i thought...no one knows how to use it!

Never heard of a power button and actually turning an electronic device
OFF? You can't reach his cell phone unless it is on or in standby mode.
The GPS feature probably doesn't work unless the cell phone is actually
full on; otherwise, the constant power consumed to detect position and
then report it would drain the battery. You do know that just having a
cell phone doesn't mean you will get calls unless you have it on or
ready, right?

philo

> Never heard of a power button and actually turning an electronic device
> OFF? You can't reach his cell phone unless it is on or in standby mode.
> The GPS feature probably doesn't work unless the cell phone is actually
> full on; otherwise, the constant power consumed to detect position and
> then report it would drain the battery. You do know that just having a
> cell phone doesn't mean you will get calls unless you have it on or ready,
> right?

Of course.
But even if the phone is off...we still get voice mail.
The real kicker of course was that no one in the office even thought
to try the GPS...and even if they did, I don't think they'd know how to use
it anyway.
I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
!!!!

Here is the deal with the people in the office anyway:

I leave a box on our office manager's desk with a note:
These boards to go to ABC company for repair.

Later I get a call from my office manager:

Say, there's this box on my desk with control boards in it...
and your note says they are to go to ABC company for repair.
What do you want me to do with it????

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

philo wrote:
>>Never heard of a power button and actually turning an electronic device
>>OFF? You can't reach his cell phone unless it is on or in standby mode.
>>The GPS feature probably doesn't work unless the cell phone is actually
>>full on; otherwise, the constant power consumed to detect position and
>>then report it would drain the battery. You do know that just having a
>>cell phone doesn't mean you will get calls unless you have it on or ready,
>>right?

> Of course.
> But even if the phone is off...we still get voice mail.
> The real kicker of course was that no one in the office even thought
> to try the GPS...and even if they did, I don't think they'd know how to use
> it anyway.
> I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
> but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
> which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
> !!!!
>

> Here is the deal with the people in the office anyway:
>
> I leave a box on our office manager's desk with a note:
> These boards to go to ABC company for repair.
>
> Later I get a call from my office manager:
>
> Say, there's this box on my desk with control boards in it...
> and your note says they are to go to ABC company for repair.
> What do you want me to do with it????

Don't leave us hanging, what's the answer?

philo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Don't leave us hanging, what's the answer?

I calmly say: Yes, they go to ABC company for repair...
then say to myself:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG !

old jon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Don't leave us hanging, what's the answer?

> I calmly say: Yes, they go to ABC company for repair...
> then say to myself:
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG !

With a manager like that, I`d have a couple of hours coffe break so that I
could `chill` out. <g>

JANA

All the new mobile phones have the GPS system built in. If you know how to
get in to the maintenance part of your phone, you can actually turn it off,
but this is illegal in most countries.

The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at present
there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do with the national
security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This is so
that any user can be located within about 10 meters.

In the US, and Canada, the 911 service are the only public service that can
access the user's phone location. The only other service that can access
this are the law enforcement, and the National Defence.

I would not worry about your employer finding where you are when you decide
to take longer lunch hours, or do some time wasting on the job.

--

JANA
_____

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
well, my company gave us cellphones with GPS.
i assumed they did it so they could keep a watchful eye on us.
no more 2 hour coffee breaks i figured!

the other day i was in the office and they asked me if i could
take a service call for one of the other engineers.
sure, i said...but why can't you just have "John" handle it?

oh, we don't know where he is!

just what i thought...no one knows how to use it!

aaah, coffee time!

philo

"JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All the new mobile phones have the GPS system built in. If you know how to
> get in to the maintenance part of your phone, you can actually turn it
> off,
> but this is illegal in most countries.
>
> The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at present
> there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do with the
> national
> security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This is so
> that any user can be located within about 10 meters.
>
> In the US, and Canada, the 911 service are the only public service that
> can
> access the user's phone location. The only other service that can access
> this are the law enforcement, and the National Defence.
>
> I would not worry about your employer finding where you are when you
> decide
> to take longer lunch hours, or do some time wasting on the job.

there is an option to turn off the GPS
but it's password protected...so i won't fool with it.
anyway...my company does not care how many hours i work...
be it 30 hours a week or 50...
just as long as i get the job done!
and for 30 years now...the job has always gotten done!

TJ

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> there is an option to turn off the GPS
> but it's password protected...so i won't fool with it.
> anyway...my company does not care how many hours i work...
> be it 30 hours a week or 50...
> just as long as i get the job done!
> and for 30 years now...the job has always gotten done!

I noticed you failed to address this part;

>> The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at
>> present there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do
>> with the national
>> security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This
>> is so that any user can be located within about 10 meters.

When previously you (philo) wrote;

"I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
!!!!"

So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but one
never knows.

--
"The ****-Up fairy doesn't just randomly visit people."
{Wheat Muncher tells it like it is in 24hoursupport.helpdesk.}

philo

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> I noticed you failed to address this part;
>
>>> The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at
>>> present there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do
>>> with the national
>>> security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This
>>> is so that any user can be located within about 10 meters.

> When previously you (philo) wrote;
>
> "I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
> but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
> which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
> !!!!"
>
> So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but one
> never knows.

all I have to do is go to GPS>position
then hit OK
and i get my lat. and long