Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I freeze/save a DOS result screen?

How do I freeze/save a DOS result screen?

Maria

Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping
screen where the data races past and disappears?
How to save it?
Maria

PJB

"Maria" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a

ping
> screen where the data races past and disappears?
> How to save it?
> Maria

Assuming you are using WinXP, Start > RUN type in CMD and hit Enter. A "dos"
box will open. type in your ping command and see the results, when finished,
either close the box as you would any normal window, or just type exit to
close it

Alternatively, Start > Programs > Accessories > Comamnd Prompt also opens a
"dos" box.

P.

why?

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:50:34 +0200, Maria wrote:

>Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping

It's not DOS any more, it a command or cmd prompt

It's assumed you are doing - Start / Run / ping <address>
so you see a command/cmd prompt box flash up and disappear.

In that case , try this instead 1st for NT/XP/2000 etc

Start / Run / cmd / OK

Or for I think the Win 9x/Me types.

Start / Run / command / OK

Or (for Windows 2000 , the other are similar)

Start / Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt

They all open a command prompt window , then you can do the commands you
need.

>screen where the data races past and disappears?

>How to save it?

To save the results, you redirect '>' the output to a file.

ping 127.0.0.1 > pingresult.txt

or

traceroute 127.0.0.1 > traceresult.txt

then open the file pingresult.txt and so on.

Or take a screen shot.

Or use Mark (i.e. copy)/paste into another application.

If the information, e.g. a traceroute still goes off the screen try this
instead.

The command window (any command window) can be set to have a buffer that
allows you to scroll back,

With a command window open, click on the icon on the top left of the
window title bar. Select properties , look for the screen buffer size
option. I usually set the height to 100, this is how far I can scroll
back.

Me

pcbutts1

Using XP it is Start>run>type cmd and press enter. To save the output right
click>select all>ctl+c. Open note pad ctl+v.

"Maria" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a
> ping
> screen where the data races past and disappears?
> How to save it?
> Maria

philo

"Maria" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a
> ping
> screen where the data races past and disappears?
> How to save it?
> Maria

after you issue the command add |more

such as

C:\ dir |more

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Maria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping
|>screen where the data races past and disappears?
|>How to save it?

Just to add my way.

Adding /K after the CMD command will keep the window open for any
command.

WInKwy+R CMD /K Ping 216.239.39.99 <enter>

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>Just to add my way.
|>
|>Adding /K after the CMD command will keep the window open for any
|>command.
|>
|>WInKwy+R CMD /K Ping 216.239.39.99 <enter>

Winkwy new keyboard, WinKey of course.

You also wanted to save also, just to add a different way of what's
been given.

Right click the top of the CMD (command) window go down to edit and
select mark (or select all), highlight what you want, right click the
bar again > edit > copy.

Then paste it into a text editor.

Or give UltraEdit (only the best text editor) a try you can run DOS
commands (F9) from it and it's saved automatically.
http://www.ultraedit.com/

Jeff Estes

To Add Pennywise's adroit use of the /k argument add a > [directory
filename]
example
click Start then Run. And in the window that opens up type the following:

cmd /k ping www.google.com > c:\whatever.txt

Now you can go to your C drive and find a text file called whatever.txt and
you can email it, archive, print it, whatever you want.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> a ping
>
> |>Just to add my way.
> |>
> |>Adding /K after the CMD command will keep the window open for any
> |>command.
> |>
> |>WInKwy+R CMD /K Ping 216.239.39.99 <enter>
>
> Winkwy new keyboard, WinKey of course.
>
> You also wanted to save also, just to add a different way of what's
> been given.
>
> Right click the top of the CMD (command) window go down to edit and
> select mark (or select all), highlight what you want, right click the
> bar again > edit > copy.
>
> Then paste it into a text editor.
>
> Or give UltraEdit (only the best text editor) a try you can run DOS
> commands (F9) from it and it's saved automatically.
> http://www.ultraedit.com/

Jeff Estes

To Add Pennywise's adroit use of the /k argument add a > [directory
filename]
example
click Start then Run. And in the window that opens up type the following:

cmd /k ping www.google.com > c:\whatever.txt

Now you can go to your C drive and find a text file called whatever.txt and
you can email it, archive, print it, whatever you want.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> a ping
>
> |>Just to add my way.
> |>
> |>Adding /K after the CMD command will keep the window open for any
> |>command.
> |>
> |>WInKwy+R CMD /K Ping 216.239.39.99 <enter>
>
> Winkwy new keyboard, WinKey of course.
>
> You also wanted to save also, just to add a different way of what's
> been given.
>
> Right click the top of the CMD (command) window go down to edit and
> select mark (or select all), highlight what you want, right click the
> bar again > edit > copy.
>
> Then paste it into a text editor.
>
> Or give UltraEdit (only the best text editor) a try you can run DOS
> commands (F9) from it and it's saved automatically.
> http://www.ultraedit.com/

Unk

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:50:34 +0200, Maria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since I am too young to know DOS -- how do I freeze a DOS-screen e.g. a ping
>screen where the data races past and disappears?
>How to save it?
>Maria

By adding a command to the ping request to save the output as a text file.

Click Start, Programs, DOS Prompt or click Start, Run. In the Run
box, type "CMD" without the quotes and press enter.

At the prompt, type:

ping 192.168.0.1 >c:\ping.txt

That will save the ping data to a text file in the root directory of drive C

Now double-click c:\ping.txt and you will see something similar to this:

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1: