Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > systray and explorer

systray and explorer

McWideGlide

My son and I use the windows 98 pent II 400 for some gaming . Slow but
working until our new one arrives someday. I end task on everything but
explorer and systray per instructions on several games. My son does the
same. It seems to speed up the game a bit. Question is what happens if one
of us end tasks explorer and systray by mistake. Will they reload on a
reboot or will something else happen. What do these two items do that you
are instructed not to close them. They must be the central brain in windows
or something.
Jeff

pengulin

Neither close will be permanent (won't survive a reboot). Systray relates to
your system tray (where the clock and other items show up in the bottom
right corner of the screen) . Although you normally want to leave that
running, It wouldn't be catastrophic if you accidentally close it. Explorer
is the Windows shell program, the GUI that allows you to navigate in Windows
98. I've never purposefully ended task on it from the task manager, however
there have been plenty of times where it has crashed and the system prompted
for a close or end task on the explorer shell, after which explorer is
immediately restarted. If Active desktop is running you may get a message to
restore or restart your active desktop.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On "McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>My son and I use the windows 98 pent II 400 for some gaming . Slow but
|>working until our new one arrives someday. I end task on everything but
|>explorer and systray per instructions on several games. My son does the
|>same. It seems to speed up the game a bit. Question is what happens if one
|>of us end tasks explorer and systray by mistake. Will they reload on a
|>reboot or will something else happen. What do these two items do that you
|>are instructed not to close them. They must be the central brain in windows
|>or something.
|>Jeff

If you end the Explorer task you reboot, but not by shutting down.

It's a shortcut on 98, NT, & WK2 that when you make changes to your
registry you could shut down explorer and get a real quick reboot.

--
,,
( "> w

Shep©

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:08:02 GMT He understood Liz1 so well
"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>My son and I use the windows 98 pent II 400 for some gaming . Slow but
>working until our new one arrives someday.

Why slow?
Click here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html

>I end task on everything but
>explorer and systray per instructions on several games.

I'm a,"Gamer" never seen any game in 10 years on PCs suggest or ask
for this????????????????????

Question is what happens if one
>of us end tasks explorer and systray by mistake.

You re-boot.

>Will they reload on a
>reboot or will something else happen.

Yes they will re-load on a re-boot.
Yes something else may happen
Vague question,vague answer

> What do these two items do that you
>are instructed not to close them.

They are basically the Windows operating system

>They must be the central brain in windows
>or something.

Not or,"Something".You are correct

--
Free Windows/PC help,

Multiple Bluetooth Network Indicators in Systray =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmUgTmlldWtpcms=?= Wireless Networking 0 01-07-2006 04:57 AM
pyqt, windows xp and systray applications.. possible? bastian.salmela@gmail.com Python 1 06-28-2005 12:07 PM
Systray Icon? Danny Rohr Firefox 0 11-27-2003 09:40 PM
Java Programm into Systray AlexPain Java 5 08-05-2003 08:16 AM

Advertisments