Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Apple keyboard/mouse on PC?

Apple keyboard/mouse on PC?

aleX

I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
selling for 20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to
work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.

cjackson05

Mac's and PC i.e Windows do not mix. The components are different MAC is considered a Linux/Red Hat programming which does not require a true operating system to function so therefore using MAC products also with totally different drivers are not compatible.

All you would get are ERROR messages. Driver reloads -- dll, cab, ini, exe files would be scrambled under a MAC code v. WINDOWS code programming. Don't mix the peanut butter & Jelly before getting the bread.

cjackson05 wrote:
> Mac's and PC i.e Windows do not mix. The components are different MAC
> is considered a Linux/Red Hat programming which does not require a true
> operating system to function so therefore using MAC products also with
> totally different drivers are not compatible.

Thanks for the reply. Windows is out then, but could I use the Mac
keyboard with my Linux PC's (Debian, Slackware)?

I didn't think there was much to a keyboard, just codes for the
different characters sent out. Not arguing, just wonder why Apple
wouldn't build in compatibility - they could sell quite a few I'd imagine.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On aleX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
|>selling for 20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
|>saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to
|>work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
|>I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
|>not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.

The PC keyboard has a chip in it that the system uses to correct a
memory error. Google: A20 gate

It might not be used now but ??

aleX

> On aleX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and
> |>selling for 20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though,
> |>saying only 'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to
> |>work on a non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
> |>I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
> |>not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.
>
> The PC keyboard has a chip in it that the system uses to correct a
> memory error. Google: A20 gate
>
> It might not be used now but ??

I'm reading differing reports - some say the keyboards work with
Windows, others say they don't. Same goes for the optical mouse.
There are several different keyboards mentioned though, I didn't take
note of the model number I saw for sale.

http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/2329.html

I might chance it sometime and see if it works or not

pcbutts1

Mine does.

"aleX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d8tblu$n8n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was looking at Apple keyboards today in a shop, nice looking, and selling
>for 20. The box made no mention of it working on a PC though, saying only
>'requires Mac computer'. Has anyone got this USB keyboard to work on a
>non-Apple PC? And just out of interest, if it won't work, why not?
> I liked the clear mouse too, but have seen a few posts regarding buttons
> not working correctly with a PC, is this the case? Thanks.

Gary

Actually, a Mac USB keyboard works just fine on a PC. I work for a
school district which uses both systems, and I regularly need to do a
contest scoring and use PC's for the scoring but like to use full sized
keyboards. We have Mac keyboards out the wazoo so I use them. Usually
feel better than the cheap pc keyboards anyway.

Gary wrote:
> Actually, a Mac USB keyboard works just fine on a PC. I work for a
> school district which uses both systems, and I regularly need to do a
> contest scoring and use PC's for the scoring but like to use full sized
> keyboards. We have Mac keyboards out the wazoo so I use them. Usually
> feel better than the cheap pc keyboards anyway.

Thanks, I'll probably get one next time I visit the shop, I'll take the
chance as they didn't cost much more than a cheap PC keyboard.

J.R.

Out of interest do you know if the Mac Wireless Keyboard works on a PC?

Cheers
JR

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

J.R. wrote:

> Out of interest do you know if the Mac Wireless Keyboard works on a PC?

Now I have no idea about that. I'd guess no. You could always try. I
suspect they are on a different frequency becasue I would not expect
standardization between the two platforms.