Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting to someone else's Wi-Fi network (w/internet access)!

Connecting to someone else's Wi-Fi network (w/internet access)!

cnw

begin Wi-Fi Dude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
> Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
> accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
> passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
> connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
> information?

Yes and not nessessarily.

> I just want to know if it's safe as to what I'm doing or am I risking my
> personal information being stolen by whoever's network it is that I'm on?

Of course you are.

> My opinion I would have to say I'm safe. I mean if someone is dumb enough to
> run an Wi-Fi network unsecured, chances are they are even dumber with
> knowledge of how to obtain peoples personal information who might be
> browsing their network.

Not nessessarily. Google for honey trap.

> P.S. If there is such a thing as a packet sniffer where people can read
> your information that you send across their wireless network, is there any
> kind of software I can obtain to install on my system that will block them
> from being able to see it (even with such packet sniffers)?

Yes. Use strong encryption.

[uuencoded sig deleted]

--
Rest of .signature file being created. Do you wish to wait [Y/N]

B.U.G.

"Wi-Fi Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
> Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
> accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
> passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
> connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
> information?

What makes you think that someone not capable of securing a wireless
connection might be able to sniff anyting other than glue?

why?

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:12:26 -0700, "B.U.G." <<>> wrote:

>"Wi-Fi Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
>> Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
>> accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
>> passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
>> connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
>> information?
>>

>What makes you think that someone not capable of securing a wireless
>connection might be able to sniff anyting other than glue?

The following words come to mind -

trap pot law enforcement honey theft service unauthorised

Me

redskins redskins is offline
Junior Member

you can search GoogleWifi