Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting to someone else's Wi-Fi network (w/internet access)!

Connecting to someone else's Wi-Fi network (w/internet access)!

Wi-Fi Dude

When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other
networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up ever
since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The connection
strength is between very good & excellent. So I assume it's someone in my
building, or maybe even directly across the street, or the building next
door to me...I'm not sure but anyways...

Whenever my internet service has gone down (Comcrap AKA Comcast) I always
connect to this other network to get back up online until Comcrap is fixed
and comes back online. Comcrap is continuing to raise prices of their
services and I'm getting tired of paying for it SO...

The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my
accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could be getting my
passwords and user names (since the transmission is going through his/her
connection)? Or does the person need some type of packet sniffer to get my
information?

I just want to know if it's safe as to what I'm doing or am I risking my
personal information being stolen by whoever's network it is that I'm on?

My opinion I would have to say I'm safe. I mean if someone is dumb enough to
run an Wi-Fi network unsecured, chances are they are even dumber with
knowledge of how to obtain peoples personal information who might be
browsing their network.

Would you agree or disagree with this theory?

But getting back to Comcrap, for the next week or so I'm going to stay
conected to this persons network, to make sure that the person hasn't
disabled internet access between such and such hours. If all goes well, I'm
dumping Comcrap and I'm just going to use her connection to be online I
mean why should I pay for it if I don't have to? The cable prices alone are
getting out of control, they now charge in my area 50 bucks a month just for
basic and preferred that has 66 channels. With the dish networks, you pay
around 30 bucks a month and get way more then 66 channels. I'm getting tired
of their price gouging. So if I got rid of my own internet connection, I
would be saving a good 45 bucks a month which makes me a much happier
person.

P.S. If there is such a thing as a packet sniffer where people can read
your information that you send across their wireless network, is there any
kind of software I can obtain to install on my system that will block them
from being able to see it (even with such packet sniffers)?

Thanks.

WormWood

Attachments are not welcome in this plain text newsgroup.

begin 666 icon_evil.gif
M1TE&.#EA#P`/`,00`$5%1?_J`````/_.`/_)`/Z=`/_]$_^T`/\``/_^D___
MQ_XJ`/YM`Y:6EO_E`/__ZP``````````````````````````````````````
<snip>

"Wi-Fi Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other
> networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up
> ever since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The
> connection strength is between very good & excellent. So I assume it's
> someone in my building, or maybe even directly across the street, or
> the building next door to me...I'm not sure but anyways...
>
> Whenever my internet service has gone down (Comcrap AKA Comcast) I
> always connect to this other network to get back up online until
> Comcrap is fixed and comes back online. Comcrap is continuing to raise
> prices of their services and I'm getting tired of paying for it SO...
>
> The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other
> persons Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to
> sign onto my accounts via the web, is there anyway this person could
> be getting my passwords and user names (since the transmission is
> going through his/her connection)? Or does the person need some type
> of packet sniffer to get my information?
>
> I just want to know if it's safe as to what I'm doing or am I risking
> my personal information being stolen by whoever's network it is that
> I'm on?
>
> My opinion I would have to say I'm safe. I mean if someone is dumb
> enough to run an Wi-Fi network unsecured, chances are they are even
> dumber with knowledge of how to obtain peoples personal information
> who might be browsing their network.
>
> Would you agree or disagree with this theory?
>
> But getting back to Comcrap, for the next week or so I'm going to stay
> conected to this persons network, to make sure that the person hasn't
> disabled internet access between such and such hours. If all goes
> well, I'm dumping Comcrap and I'm just going to use her connection to
> be online I mean why should I pay for it if I don't have to? The
> cable prices alone are getting out of control, they now charge in my
> area 50 bucks a month just for basic and preferred that has 66
> channels. With the dish networks, you pay around 30 bucks a month and
> get way more then 66 channels. I'm getting tired of their price
> gouging. So if I got rid of my own internet connection, I would be
> saving a good 45 bucks a month which makes me a much happier person.
>
> P.S. If there is such a thing as a packet sniffer where people can
> read your information that you send across their wireless network, is
> there any kind of software I can obtain to install on my system that
> will block them from being able to see it (even with such packet
> sniffers)?
>
> Thanks.

Wi-Fi Dude

I didn't post an attachment!

"WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Attachments are not welcome in this plain text newsgroup.

why?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:28:03 -0400, Wi-Fi Dude wrote:

Lose the binary attachment gif.

>When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other
>networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up ever
>since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The connection
>strength is between very good & excellent. So I assume it's someone in my
>building, or maybe even directly across the street, or the building next
>door to me...I'm not sure but anyways...

<snip>

>The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
>Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my

Which is theft, so none of the rest of the post matters, more so since
it's fairly stupid anyway.

<snip>

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On "Wi-Fi Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I didn't post an attachment!

Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}

As for your cheap connection use it.

And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
connection as hers?

--
Curling Iron judgement
http://www.local6.com/news/4613601/detail.html

me

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On "Wi-Fi Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>I didn't post an attachment!
>
> Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}
>
> As for your cheap connection use it.
>
> And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
> connection as hers?

Good point

Duane Arnold

> On "Wi-Fi Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>I didn't post an attachment!
>
> Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}
>
> As for your cheap connection use it.
>
> And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
> connection as hers?

The person doesn't have the class to inform her that her connection is open.
He's a pure snake.

Duane

why?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:28:03 -0400, Wi-Fi Dude wrote:

>When I do a 'scan' with my wireless network adapter to scan for other
>networks in range, there has always been one connection that pops up ever
>since I have lived where I live at (for the past 6 months). The connection

<snip>

>Whenever my internet service has gone down (Comcrap AKA Comcast) I always
>connect to this other network to get back up online until Comcrap is fixed
>and comes back online. Comcrap is continuing to raise prices of their
>services and I'm getting tired of paying for it SO...
>
>The general question is: When I have been connecting to this other persons
>Wi-Fi network (which obviously is unsecured) when I have to sign onto my

<snip>

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/20...ewicz-internet
Michael Levy, chief of computer crimes in the U.S. attorney’s office in
the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, said that users should be aware of
their Internet settings and must determine the strength of their
broadcast signal -— does it reach the rooms of one apartment, does it go
through a few floors, can a passing car pick up the signal?

Even though the law doesn’t specifically address wireless Internet
theft, Levy cautioned against tapping into another person’s wireless
connection. “There are service statutes that cover people tapping into
cable lines or electric lines and not paying for the service,” Levy
said, likening that behavior to tapping into a wireless connection.
“Although most people have never thought about it and have no bad
intentions, they are getting Internet for free,” he said.

http://akma.disseminary.org/archives/001518.html
Illinois' Super-DMCA passed last year, and includes the following
wording:

"Unlawful communication device" means any ... communication device that
is capable of acquiring or facilitating the acquisition of a
communication service without the express consent or express
authorization of the communication service provider

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>> Sure you did: icon_evil.gif and he turns around and re sends it. :}
|>>
|>> As for your cheap connection use it.
|>>
|>> And if you don't know where your connecting to - why did you refer the
|>> connection as hers?

|>The person doesn't have the class to inform her that her connection is open.
|>He's a pure snake.

Oh, I figure'd he's read all the private info on the hard drive of
that connection, and is well aware of who it is.

Use it, don't use it, it doesn't matter he's made up his mind.

--
Curling Iron judgement
http://www.local6.com/news/4613601/detail.html

samuel

"Wi-Fi Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I didn't post an attachment!
>

> "WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Attachments are not welcome in this plain text newsgroup.

yes you did icon_evil.gif !