Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > word pad rich text

word pad rich text

melanie

I am just asking what is the difference between wordpad documents and rich
text documents - I have both options but they look the same to me. ???
Can anyone explain this?

--
----------

why?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:53:29 GMT, melanie wrote:

>I am just asking what is the difference between wordpad documents and rich
>text documents - I have both options but they look the same to me. ???
>Can anyone explain this?

Can you explain your question?

Do you mean the (default I see which is ) Save , Rich Text Format (RTF)
as opposed to saving as Word for Windows 6.0?

Internally the file formats are different, the Word for Windows format
is a binary file, you need Word(pad) or compatiable app to open and
read.

The RTF is a text based file that's always been a very portable format,
it contains the same text / formatting as the DOC format but looks like
this.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl {\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 this is wordpad document\par
}

Then again the RTF file is 144 bytes (for the text 'this is wordpad
document' ) and the same DOC is 4608 bytes.

RTF
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/r/rich...ormat_RTF.html

Me

WormWood

"melanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tt8se.25538$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am just asking what is the difference between wordpad documents and
>rich text documents - I have both options but they look the same to me.
>???
> Can anyone explain this?

There are Plain Text and Rich Text. Plain text is exactly what the name
implies. Rich Text is like html which gives you the ability to include a
background, colored fonts, imbed objects (sound and graphics,) etc.

WormWood

"WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "melanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tt8se.25538$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am just asking what is the difference between wordpad documents and
>>rich text documents - I have both options but they look the same to
>>me. ???
>> Can anyone explain this?
>>

> There are Plain Text and Rich Text. Plain text is exactly what the
> name implies. Rich Text is like html which gives you the ability to
> include a background, colored fonts, imbed objects (sound and
> graphics,) etc.

Oops! Word Pad will also do Rich Text as will OE in compose window.