Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Error message in Outlook Express

Error message in Outlook Express

Annie

Hi all,

I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it freezes.
I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens every time I use it.
Is there a way to fix this?

C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msi mn.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\app compat.txt

Thanks for any input...

WormWood

"Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Wl8se.4046$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi all,
>
> I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
> through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it
> freezes. I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens every
> time I use it. Is there a way to fix this?
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msi mn.exe.mdmp
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\app compat.txt
>
> Thanks for any input...

Read this link:
<http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_my_problem_with_appcompattxt.html >

Annie

I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it freezes.
I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens every time I use it.
Is there a way to fix this?

> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msi mn.exe.mdmp

> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\app compat.txt

> WormWood wrote:

Read this link:

http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_m...compattxt.html

I tried many times to open this link (with different computers, also) and it
isn't working. Tried just askleo.com and that didn't work either. Any
other suggestions? Thanks!

Mike Easter

We have about 3 different problems here, 2 of them are housekeeping
related.

Annie wrote:
> I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
> through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it
> freezes. I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens
> every time I use it. Is there a way to fix this?
>
>> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msi mn.exe.mdmp

>> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\app compat.txt

Those paths and files, eg appcompat.txt represent a system by which a
person can report a problem back to MS, Microsoft.

So, the sequence is that something causes OE to freeze/crash and the
system is designed to offer to let you report that to MS, and that
reporting system uses those files.to report the error messages.

That is, this isn't an answer to your problem of what is causing the
crash, it is just an answer to what the files have to do with it, namely
a reporting system.

Now for the housekeeping issues. You clicked on a previous post of
yours which had a reply from WormWood, but your OE newsreader wasn't
configured to properly cite his remarks. Then you changed the subject
of the post to be a different subject. Sometimes that combination of no
quote/cite marks and 'untelegraphed' subject changing can cause
confusion, but we'll continue addressing the issues raised.

>> WormWood wrote:

> Read this link:
>
> http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_m...compattxt.html

The askleo website is currently parked. When it was available, it was a
forum with a discussion of how the file appcompat.txt was used to report
back to MS.

> I tried many times to open this link (with different computers, also)
> and it isn't working. Tried just askleo.com and that didn't work
> either. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Now that you know that askleo was just telling you what I told you
above, you can stop bothering with it and go back to describing what
works about OE and what doesn't work. If it is seriously broken and
crashing you may need to remove and reinstall it, then try to get some
of its file/folders cleaned up if they are corrupted.

--
Mike Easter

Annie

news:42b1b1af$0$27639$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> We have about 3 different problems here, 2 of them are housekeeping
> related.
>
> Annie wrote:
>> I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
>> through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it
>> freezes. I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens
>> every time I use it. Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>>> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msi mn.exe.mdmp

>>> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\app compat.txt

> Those paths and files, eg appcompat.txt represent a system by which a
> person can report a problem back to MS, Microsoft.
>
> So, the sequence is that something causes OE to freeze/crash and the
> system is designed to offer to let you report that to MS, and that
> reporting system uses those files.to report the error messages.
>
> That is, this isn't an answer to your problem of what is causing the
> crash, it is just an answer to what the files have to do with it, namely
> a reporting system.
>

> Now for the housekeeping issues. You clicked on a previous post of
> yours which had a reply from WormWood, but your OE newsreader wasn't
> configured to properly cite his remarks. Then you changed the subject
> of the post to be a different subject. Sometimes that combination of no
> quote/cite marks and 'untelegraphed' subject changing can cause
> confusion, but we'll continue addressing the issues raised.
>
>>> WormWood wrote:

>> Read this link:
>>
>> http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_m...compattxt.html

> The askleo website is currently parked. When it was available, it was a
> forum with a discussion of how the file appcompat.txt was used to report
> back to MS.
>
>> I tried many times to open this link (with different computers, also)
>> and it isn't working. Tried just askleo.com and that didn't work
>> either. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

> Now that you know that askleo was just telling you what I told you
> above, you can stop bothering with it and go back to describing what
> works about OE and what doesn't work. If it is seriously broken and
> crashing you may need to remove and reinstall it, then try to get some
> of its file/folders cleaned up if they are corrupted.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Hi Mike,

Is that better (regarding my OE newsreader configured to properly cite
remarks)? One of my computers is configured that way and the other one
isn't. I believe I quoted the one line he sent and didn't think original
cite marks were necessary. Oh, well.

Thanks for your kind reply and for letting me know those error messages were
only regarding Microsoft's error reporting. I got the info from the 'Report
to Microsoft' message box where it's suppose to tell you what the technical
problem was...apparently it didn't. I may have to do a reinstall, as you
said. Would that be off my WinXP cd? I've never done anything but a full
install.

Thanks again for your input!

--Annie

Mike Easter

Annie wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> So, the sequence is that something causes OE to freeze/crash and the
>> system is designed to offer to let you report that to MS, and that
>> reporting system uses those files.to report the error messages.

>> If it is seriously broken and
>> crashing you may need to remove and reinstall it, then try to get
>> some of its file/folders cleaned up if they are corrupted.

> Is that better (regarding my OE newsreader configured to properly cite
> remarks)?

Yes, all better.

> may have to do a reinstall, as you said. Would that be off my WinXP
> cd? I've never done anything but a full install.

This is just about removing and replacing OE, which is really a repair
of IE because OE is a 'creature' of IE. But I wasn't quite clear on
whether or not the problem you were having was going to require its
removal and replacement. I got the idea that when you are working in
newsgroups you get some kind of crash.

I think I would start by removing and replacing my news server account.
In OE, Tools/ Accounts/ News tab - select the news server account and
use the remove button. Apparently you have some kind of
ameritech/prodigy account in which you use the prodigy newsserver, but I
didn't see a page which shows you how to add the account.

So, after you remove the prodigy news account, you add it back in as a
new account which requires that you know how to configure for it.
Sometimes it is useful to examine the one which is there before you
remove it so that you can see how it is configured, whether you have to
log in or not, whether the username is just the username or if the
username is the email address; that sort of thing.

Then if it doesn't get fixed by removing and replacing the news account,
the next step up the ladder might be to remove and replace OE itself.

--
Mike Easter

Annie

news:42b2ce05$0$33420$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...

> Then if it doesn't get fixed by removing and replacing the news account,
> the next step up the ladder might be to remove and replace OE itself.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I do know how to remove or add a news account and I will try that first. If
I DO need to replace OE, do I need to download it from Microsoft? This is
where I'm confused.
(To clarify, yes, I eventually freeze up every time I'm reading/accessing
the newsgroups)

Thanks again... and again.

-Annie

Mike Easter

Annie wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> Then if it doesn't get fixed by removing and replacing the news
>> account, the next step up the ladder might be to remove and replace
>> OE itself.

> I do know how to remove or add a news account and I will try that
> first. If I DO need to replace OE, do I need to download it from
> Microsoft? This is where I'm confused.
> (To clarify, yes, I eventually freeze up every time I'm
> reading/accessing the newsgroups)

I'm familiar with W98, you may need to adjust something for XP.

If you are going to remove OE, you can do it in CP/ AddRemove Programs,
select OE and remove. When you are going to add OE, you also do it from
AddRemove Programs via IE - click Internet Explorer AddRemove button
which will bring up Add component or Repair or restore previous. Use
Add component and it will provide an opportunity to re-install OE.

--
Mike Easter

Annie

news:42b32b8a$0$33348$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> I'm familiar with W98, you may need to adjust something for XP.
>
> If you are going to remove OE, you can do it in CP/ AddRemove Programs,
> select OE and remove. When you are going to add OE, you also do it from
> AddRemove Programs via IE - click Internet Explorer AddRemove button
> which will bring up Add component or Repair or restore previous. Use
> Add component and it will provide an opportunity to re-install OE.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Got it! Appreciate the help!