Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newbie Wants to Make Secure Area on Webpage

Newbie Wants to Make Secure Area on Webpage

JB

My ISP gives 100MB free space and I am wondering if it would be practical to
store data on it. The data is in an encrypted virtual container and I don't
want anyone to even see the container except myself.

This would be the sole purpose of the website.

Is this practical and, if so, are there any free tools I could use to make
it happen?

Thank you.

Barman

"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My ISP gives 100MB free space and I am wondering if it would be practical
> to store data on it. The data is in an encrypted virtual container and I
> don't want anyone to even see the container except myself.
>
> This would be the sole purpose of the website.
>
> Is this practical and, if so, are there any free tools I could use to make
> it happen?
>
> Thank you.

Practical? Secure? .... I'm a frayed knot!
100mb is miniscule, and and less than 20% of a CD-R.
If it is an issue of such privacy, why consider storing online?
When it will easily fit on a floppy and you can lock it away or
keep it in your wallet/purse/knickers etc.

John Holmes

"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> My ISP gives 100MB free space and I am wondering if it would be
> practical to store data on it. The data is in an encrypted virtual
> container and I don't want anyone to even see the container except
> myself.
>
> This would be the sole purpose of the website.
>
> Is this practical and, if so, are there any free tools I could use to
> make it happen?
>
> Thank you.

I use a 2Gb USB memory stick to get access to my pr0n collection.

--
Your mother was a drooling beast who was so ugly her fellow villagers had
to keep her in a small tent.

Blinky the Shark

Barman wrote:

> "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My ISP gives 100MB free space and I am wondering if it would be practical
>> to store data on it. The data is in an encrypted virtual container and I
>> don't want anyone to even see the container except myself.

>> This would be the sole purpose of the website.

>> Is this practical and, if so, are there any free tools I could use to make
>> it happen?

>> Thank you.

> Practical? Secure? .... I'm a frayed knot!
> 100mb is miniscule, and and less than 20% of a CD-R.
> If it is an issue of such privacy, why consider storing online?
> When it will easily fit on a floppy and you can lock it away or
> keep it in your wallet/purse/knickers etc.

One so rarely sees "100mb is miniscule" and "it will easily fit on a
floppy" in the same sentence.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Barman wrote:
>
>> "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My ISP gives 100MB free space and I am wondering if it would be
>>> practical
>>> to store data on it. The data is in an encrypted virtual container and
>>> don't want anyone to even see the container except myself.

>>> This would be the sole purpose of the website.

>>> Is this practical and, if so, are there any free tools I could use to
>>> make
>>> it happen?

>>> Thank you.

>> Practical? Secure? .... I'm a frayed knot!
>> 100mb is miniscule, and and less than 20% of a CD-R.
>> If it is an issue of such privacy, why consider storing online?
>> When it will easily fit on a floppy and you can lock it away or
>> keep it in your wallet/purse/knickers etc.

> One so rarely sees "100mb is miniscule" and "it will easily fit on a
> floppy" in the same sentence.

And when was the last time you had a floppy that could fit in your wallet?

Barman

news:6NXqe.8638$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Barman wrote:
>>
>>> "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Practical? Secure? .... I'm a frayed knot!
>>> 100mb is miniscule, and and less than 20% of a CD-R.
>>> If it is an issue of such privacy, why consider storing online?
>>> When it will easily fit on a floppy and you can lock it away or
>>> keep it in your wallet/purse/knickers etc.

>> One so rarely sees "100mb is miniscule" and "it will easily fit on a
>> floppy" in the same sentence.
>>

> And when was the last time you had a floppy that could fit in your wallet?

I have an impressively accomadating wallet, but alas, a far from impressive
floppy..............

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Barman wrote:

>>> "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Practical? Secure? .... I'm a frayed knot! 100mb is miniscule, and
>>> and less than 20% of a CD-R. If it is an issue of such privacy, why
>>> consider storing online? When it will easily fit on a floppy and
>>> you can lock it away or keep it in your wallet/purse/knickers etc.

>> One so rarely sees "100mb is miniscule" and "it will easily fit on a
>> floppy" in the same sentence.

> And when was the last time you had a floppy that could fit in your
> wallet?

Didn't even think about that part. I was too caught up in the idea
of the online 100mb space being so small that the data should go on a
floppy instead.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

JB

"Barman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d8h1np$f1l$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My ISP gives 100MB free space and I am wondering if it would be practical
>> to store data on it. The data is in an encrypted virtual container and I
>> don't want anyone to even see the container except myself.
>>
>> This would be the sole purpose of the website.
>>
>> Is this practical and, if so, are there any free tools I could use to
>> make it happen?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> Practical? Secure? .... I'm a frayed knot!<

I agree.

> 100mb is miniscule, and and less than 20% of a CD-R.<

Irrelevant.

> If it is an issue of such privacy, why consider storing online?<

Redundancy.

> When it will easily fit on a floppy and you can lock it away or
> keep it in your wallet/purse/knickers etc. <

Brilliant! I currently have it on two ide drives, two flash drives and a
usb drive. I forgot to put it on a floppy.

Good luck with your ideas.

Barman

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> One so rarely sees "100mb is miniscule" and "it will easily fit on a
>>> floppy" in the same sentence.

>> And when was the last time you had a floppy that could fit in your
>> wallet?

> Didn't even think about that part. I was too caught up in the idea
> of the online 100mb space being so small that the data should go on a
> floppy instead.
>
> --

I got it very wrong - I bow my head in shame...........
My only excuse being that I was on the cheap but potent Chilean
merlot, a delightful perky red wine with a slight smooth and easy
edge. A surprisingly affordable bargain from my local Sainsbury's
here in Vauxhall in dear old London.
I can only say in mitigation, I am humbled that my dopey post has
entertained you all. I now toast you all in the hope of enlightenment
and freedom in the forthcoming revolution.
I'd just like to add, my farts stink harmoniously more than yours.
Thank you, and wishing you all every happiness.

XXXXXXXXXXX

> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
> Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
> Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
> *ALSO contains links for access to the NON-BETA GG archive interface*

Blinky the Shark

Barman wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Toolman Tim wrote:

>>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> And when was the last time you had a floppy that could fit in your
>>> wallet?

>> Didn't even think about that part. I was too caught up in the idea
>> of the online 100mb space being so small that the data should go on a
>> floppy instead.

> I got it very wrong - I bow my head in shame...........
> My only excuse being that I was on the cheap but potent Chilean
> merlot, a delightful perky red wine with a slight smooth and easy
> edge. A surprisingly affordable bargain from my local Sainsbury's
> here in Vauxhall in dear old London.
> I can only say in mitigation, I am humbled that my dopey post has
> entertained you all. I now toast you all in the hope of enlightenment
> and freedom in the forthcoming revolution.
> I'd just like to add, my farts stink harmoniously more than yours.
> Thank you, and wishing you all every happiness.

> XXXXXXXXXXX

Good answer. Hat-tip awarded in my X-Face.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263