Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > null statements...

null statements...

Jluis

Hi everyone?
I have some problem with buffer definition.
I coded a program and I want to transfer outbuf4 <= inbuf4 when Ira=1
and when Ira=0 I want that outbuf <= (null or open or disconected,but
not high impedance). I know that I can use outbuf <= "ZZZ". But my
question is... are there some way to do that without use HIGH
IMPEDANCE? i TRIED TO PUT NULL AND OPEN SENTENCES, BUT MAXPLUS GET A
ERROR MESSAGES. i NEED TO SYNTHETIZED.
MY DESIGN REQUIREMENTS IS TO LEFT TOTALLY OPEN WHEN Ira =0.

ANY IDEAS.........
tHANKS IN ADVANCE
JLUIS
MEXICO

LIBRARY IEEE;
USE IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all;

ENTITY buff4_ir IS
PORT( Ira: IN std_logic;
inbuf4: IN std_logic_vector(2 DOWNTO 0);
outbuf4: OUT std_logic_vector(2 DOWNTO 0));
END buff4_ir;

ARCHITECTURE archbuff4_ir OF buff4_ir IS
BEGIN
PROCESS(Ira, inbuf4)
BEGIN
IF Ira = '1' then
outbuf4 <= inbuf4;
ELSE
outbuf4 <= null;
end if;
end process;
END archbuff4_ir;

Tim Hubberstey

Jluis wrote:
> Hi everyone?
> I have some problem with buffer definition.
> I coded a program and I want to transfer outbuf4 <= inbuf4 when Ira=1
> and when Ira=0 I want that outbuf <= (null or open or disconected,but
> not high impedance). I know that I can use outbuf <= "ZZZ". But my
> question is... are there some way to do that without use HIGH
> IMPEDANCE?

No. Think hardware: null or open or disconected _IS_ high Z.

Charles Bailey

"Jluis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi everyone?
> I have some problem with buffer definition.
> I coded a program and I want to transfer outbuf4 <= inbuf4 when Ira=1
> and when Ira=0 I want that outbuf <= (null or open or disconected,but
> not high impedance). I know that I can use outbuf <= "ZZZ". But my
> question is... are there some way to do that without use HIGH
> IMPEDANCE? i TRIED TO PUT NULL AND OPEN SENTENCES, BUT MAXPLUS GET A
> ERROR MESSAGES. i NEED TO SYNTHETIZED.
> MY DESIGN REQUIREMENTS IS TO LEFT TOTALLY OPEN WHEN Ira =0.

This requirement doesn't make sense. What is wrong with setting the
output to Z, high impedance?

> ANY IDEAS.........
> tHANKS IN ADVANCE
> JLUIS
> MEXICO
>

> LIBRARY IEEE;
> USE IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all;
>
> ENTITY buff4_ir IS
> PORT( Ira: IN std_logic;
> inbuf4: IN std_logic_vector(2 DOWNTO 0);
> outbuf4: OUT std_logic_vector(2 DOWNTO 0));
> END buff4_ir;
>
> ARCHITECTURE archbuff4_ir OF buff4_ir IS
> BEGIN
> PROCESS(Ira, inbuf4)
> BEGIN
> IF Ira = '1' then
> outbuf4 <= inbuf4;
> ELSE
> outbuf4 <= null;

"null;" is a statement, not a value. Can't do this.

> end if;
> end process;
> END archbuff4_ir;

Just an Illusion

Charles Bailey wrote:

>"Jluis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>

>>Hi everyone?
>>I have some problem with buffer definition.
>>I coded a program and I want to transfer outbuf4 <= inbuf4 when Ira=1
>>and when Ira=0 I want that outbuf <= (null or open or disconected,but
>>not high impedance). I know that I can use outbuf <= "ZZZ". But my
>>question is... are there some way to do that without use HIGH
>>IMPEDANCE? i TRIED TO PUT NULL AND OPEN SENTENCES, BUT MAXPLUS GET A
>>ERROR MESSAGES. i NEED TO SYNTHETIZED.
>>MY DESIGN REQUIREMENTS IS TO LEFT TOTALLY OPEN WHEN Ira =0.

>>ARCHITECTURE archbuff4_ir OF buff4_ir IS
>> BEGIN
>> PROCESS(Ira, inbuf4)
>> BEGIN
>> IF Ira = '1' then
>> outbuf4 <= inbuf4;
>> ELSE
>> outbuf4 <= null;
>>

>"null;" is a statement, not a value. Can't do this.

outbuf4 <= open;

Simply, not ?

JaI

Jluis

tHANKS VHDL GROUP i SOLVE D THE PROBLEM
THIS QUESTION WAS AS PART OF MY BUS CONTROL PROGRAM, SO I DONT USE "Z"
I JUST PUT A PROCESS INSIDE OF MY TOP DESIGN, AND THATīS IT, SO INSIDE
OF THIS PROCESS I PUT SEVERAL IFīs snetence, like this:::

LIBRARY IEEE;
USE IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all;

ENTITY datapath2 IS
PORT(
);

END datapath2;

ARCHITECTURE archdatapath2 OF datapath2 IS
COMPONENT instreg
END COMPONENT;

COMPONENT regfile
END COMPONENT;

COMPONENT alu
END COMPONENT;

COMPONENT proc
END COMPONENT;

COMPONENT ccl
END COMPONENT;

COMPONENT MAR
END COMPONENT;

COMPONENT MBR
END COMPONENT;

COMPONENT DATA
END COMPONENT;

SIGNALSSSSSSSS buss: std_logic_vector(21 DOWNTO 0);
MORE SIGNALS............

BEGIN
PROCESS(Irdir, Irk, Rfb, RfaB, Rfa, AluC, PCout, memout, Ira, Irb)
BEGIN
--- THIS ifīS SOLVE MY BUS CONTROL PROBLEM
IF Irdir='1' THEN
buss <= bussA;
END IF;

IF Irk='1' THEN