Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hard drive problem

hard drive problem

chame1eon

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:33:20 -0500, wisdomkiller & pain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gaius Baltar wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
>>> one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
>>> new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
>>> UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set

> These drives were manufactured around 2000 or 2001 or even earlier. What
> do
> you expect from such old goats?
>
>>> the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
>>> start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
>>> making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
>>> program freeze up. I've tried several different Linux distributions
>>> (eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on it), and I'm going to try
>>> and
>>> see what Windows XP does to it.

> Install smartmontools. Run "smartctl -a" on the drive. Watch for
> "Pre-fail"
> attributes. If any absolute count there is >zero, forget about the drive.
> Guess the return postage isn't worth sending it back for another surplus
> worn-out junk replacement, after all.

Does it freeze completely or does it just get realy slow?
I had a quantum fireball in my first computer and loud noises and extreme
slowness sound normal. Yours sounds a little newer though.