Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hard drive problem

hard drive problem

Matt

I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set
the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
program freeze up. I've tried several different Linux distributions
(eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on it), and I'm going to try and
see what Windows XP does to it. This last time I tried Fedora Core and
after it did the rattling thing (while it was copying files) it
displayed the error "Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
root fs on unknown - block (8,3)" I googled for that error and some
other stuff and I'm not coming up with anything. Is the drive dead? The
seller on Ebay claimed that it tested fine thru Maxtor Diagnostic
Utilities.
Thanks.

SgtMinor

Matt wrote:

> I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
> one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
> new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
> UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set
> the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
> start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
> making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
> program freeze up. I've tried several different Linux distributions
> (eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on it), and I'm going to try and
> see what Windows XP does to it. This last time I tried Fedora Core and
> after it did the rattling thing (while it was copying files) it
> displayed the error "Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
> root fs on unknown - block (8,3)" I googled for that error and some
> other stuff and I'm not coming up with anything. Is the drive dead? The
> seller on Ebay claimed that it tested fine thru Maxtor Diagnostic
> Utilities.
> Thanks.

There is no 'a' in kernel. Some discussion about the problem can be
found here: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=kernel%20panic

When you run the Maxtor utility what results do you get?

Plato

Matt wrote:

> I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The

Which is exactly like buying a hard drive from a table at a weekend flea
market or yard sale. It may work, it may not.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

cnw

begin Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive.

Sounds like a bad move.

> The one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
> new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
> UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set the
> jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I start
> trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts making
> rather loud rattling sounds

A *bad* sign. If you havn't guessed already, the drive is very likely
defective.

> and the entire computer and install program freeze up. I've tried several
> different Linux distributions (eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on
> it), and I'm going to try and see what Windows XP does to it. This last
> time I tried Fedora Core and after it did the rattling thing (while it was
> copying files) it displayed the error "Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS:
> Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (8,3)"

It's possible Linux is unable to determine the drive geometry and/or
partitioning scheme of this drive -- likely a result of hardware problems.
Personally, I wouldn't trust this drive, judging by what you have written.

However, you *could* try running (Windows) FDISK on the drive, and follow it's
recommended partitioning defaults, then format the drive. Then reboot and
try again to install Linux. This has worked for me in the past (albiet a
long time ago).

> I googled for that error and some other stuff and I'm not coming up with
> anything. Is the drive dead? The seller on Ebay claimed that it tested
> fine thru Maxtor Diagnostic Utilities. Thanks.

Well if you have Maxtor diagnostics available, check the drive. But really,
from what you've said, the drive appears to be defective. With disk space so
cheap these days, you'd be far better off buying a new drive (for which
you'll also have a guarantee).

Neil.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Matt

SgtMinor wrote:

> When you run the Maxtor utility what results do you get?

I ran both the basic tests and the mid-level test on the Maxtor PowerMax
program and the drive passed both of them, which is probably what they
ran before they put the drive on Ebay. Running the "burn in test" though
gave me this message:

Diagnostic Code: 6b686862
This drive is failing. If you do not have a recent backup of the data,
please do so now if possible.

I guess I will be contacting the seller to make use of their 7 day money
back guarantee.

Thanks for your help.

SgtMinor

cnw wrote:

> Neil.
> --
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Q. I seem to have a problem.

A. I seem to have a problem.
What is your problem?

Q. I seem to have a problem.
What is your problem?
I'm not sure but it seems to be software.

A. I seem to have a problem.
What is your problem?
I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
What software are you using?

Q. I seem to have a problem.
What is your problem?
I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
What software are you using?
Do you mean my operating system?

A. I seem to have a problem.
What is your problem?
I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
What software are you using?
Do you mean my operating system?
Well, that and whatever other stuff you run.

Q. I seem to have a problem.
What is your problem?
I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
What software are you using?
Do you mean my operating system?
Well, that and whatever other stuff you run.

A. I seem to have a problem.
What is your problem?
I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
What software are you using?
Do you mean my operating system?
Well, that and whatever other stuff you run.
What do you mean, "other stuff?"

Ad nauseum.

Get a new sig and don't get your panties in a bunch over top-posting.

--
"Chacun Son Got."

Jimmy Dean

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
>one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
>new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
>UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set
>the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
>start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
>making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
>program freeze up.

The first thing I do even with a new HD, before installing an OS, is
to run WIN98 SCANDISK /su on it to check for bad blocks.

jd

cnw

SgtMinor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> cnw wrote:
>
> > Neil.
> > --
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

> Q. I seem to have a problem.
>
> A. I seem to have a problem.
> What is your problem?
>
> Q. I seem to have a problem.
> What is your problem?
> I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
>
> A. I seem to have a problem.
> What is your problem?
> I'm not sure but it seems to be software.
> What software are you using?

[snip]

> Ad nauseum.

Yes yes - that's a deliberatly bad example.

I'm not convinced. Bottom posting is not the answer either. Trimming
the quoted material down to what is relevant - while keeping the order
conversation-like seems to me to be the best approach.

I'm not going to argue the point however, it's been done to death.

There's a standards document for netiquette (RFC 1855)
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html> section 3.1.1, if further
clarification is needed.

It's no big deal, the news reader I regularly use will re-format badly
formatted posts at the touch of a key.

> Get a new sig and don't get your panties in a bunch over top-posting.

I change my sig fairly frequently. Expect a new one any time soon.

Neil.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

hwأf

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:50:47 +1100, Gaius Baltar aided th' terraists with
the following claims :

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
>>one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
>>new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
>>UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set
>>the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
>>start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
>>making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^

What part of failing dont you grok?
Its going tits up, mate.

Report the fact that ya was sold a POS on their e-bay page.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

wisdomkiller & pain

Gaius Baltar wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:34:28 -0400, Matt
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just recently purchased a new (used off of Ebay) IDE hard drive. The
>>one that it's replacing was a 4.3GB Maxtor 90430D3. Not sure about the
>>new one without looking, but it was listed as Quantum Fireball 20GB
>>UDMA/66 5400RPM 512KB IDE HDD on Ebay. Anyway, I plugged it in and set

These drives were manufactured around 2000 or 2001 or even earlier. What do
you expect from such old goats?

>>the jumpers and such, and the BIOS recognized it fine. But, whenever I
>>start trying to install something on it, at some point the drive starts
>>making rather loud rattling sounds and the entire computer and install
>>program freeze up. I've tried several different Linux distributions
>>(eventually trying to get Fedora Core 3 on it), and I'm going to try and
>>see what Windows XP does to it.

Install smartmontools. Run "smartctl -a" on the drive. Watch for "Pre-fail"
attributes. If any absolute count there is >zero, forget about the drive.
Guess the return postage isn't worth sending it back for another surplus
worn-out junk replacement, after all.