Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I restrict access to sites?

How do I restrict access to sites?

JustMe

Running WinXP sp2 with IE6 and no software firewall. Dial UP
connection. I'd like to limit internet access to a single government
site. Is it possible to do that with the present configuration? I do
not want to add a firewall.

Duane Arnold

JustMe wrote:

> Running WinXP sp2 with IE6 and no software firewall. Dial UP
> connection. I'd like to limit internet access to a single government
> site. Is it possible to do that with the present configuration? I do
> not want to add a firewall.

You can be attacked just as easily and quickly with a dial-up connection as
anyother type of connection, espacilly if you're running on the Internet
with Admin rights and have not or don't know how to *harden* the O/S to
attack. I do hope you have something in place or have done something to
protect the O/S.

However, you may be able to do it with IPsec where you stop all Http traffic
outbound from levaing the machine with an IP filtering rule and then you
set another Ipsec rule to allow outbound to the specified IP.

It may or may not work for you, but you can try.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_web_bro...with_ipsec.htm

Duane

JustMe

Duane Arnold wrote:
> JustMe wrote:
>
> > Running WinXP sp2 with IE6 and no software firewall. Dial UP
> > connection. I'd like to limit internet access to a single government
> > site. Is it possible to do that with the present configuration? I do
> > not want to add a firewall.

> You can be attacked just as easily and quickly with a dial-up connection as
> anyother type of connection, espacilly if you're running on the Internet
> with Admin rights and have not or don't know how to *harden* the O/S to
> attack. I do hope you have something in place or have done something to
> protect the O/S.
>
> However, you may be able to do it with IPsec where you stop all Http traffic
> outbound from levaing the machine with an IP filtering rule and then you
> set another Ipsec rule to allow outbound to the specified IP.
>
> It may or may not work for you, but you can try.
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/block_web_bro...with_ipsec.htm
>
> Duane

I figgured I'd get hammered about the firewall but it's relatively
unimportant. It's an old machine with minimum resources. I just need
someone to lookup some info from time to time. The system is stand
alone and contains no personally identifiable info. I can rebuild it
twice daily and 3 times on Sunday. In this case a firewall would just
get in the way. I just want to make sure the individual using it can't
use it to screw around with and fritter the day away.