Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > MS Win XP Wallpaper Changer Power Toy config question

MS Win XP Wallpaper Changer Power Toy config question

All Things Mopar

Hi, All!

I really like Microsoft's Wallpaper Changer Power Toy
for Windows XP, except for an annoyance I can't find a
fix for. Maybe somebody can help?

My Windows screen resolution is set to 1280 x 960. Some
of the pictures in my wallpaper folder are 1280 x 960,
quite a number are 1024 x 748, and some are 800 x 600.

But, Wallpaper Changer uses the "stretch" feature and
makes all these images full-screen, which makes the
smaller ones look very poor - pixelated, etc. as you'd
expect.

When I go to Settings>Control Panel>Display>Desktop,
Wallpaper Changer shows up in my wallpaper list as
"toyhide", with the Position pull-down list set to
"Stretch". Even if I change this to "Center" and click
on Apply, it does not work. My automatically changing
wallpaper is /still/ "stretched".

I looked in Configure Wallpaper by right-clicking on its
icon in my sys tray, but failed to see anything at all
about how images are displayed.

Am I missing something obvious here? Can I change it? If
I can't change it, is there a better (free) similar app?

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

Toolman Tim

"All Things Mopar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi, All!
>
> I really like Microsoft's Wallpaper Changer Power Toy
> for Windows XP, except for an annoyance I can't find a
> fix for. Maybe somebody can help?
>
> My Windows screen resolution is set to 1280 x 960. Some
> of the pictures in my wallpaper folder are 1280 x 960,
> quite a number are 1024 x 748, and some are 800 x 600.
>
> But, Wallpaper Changer uses the "stretch" feature and
> makes all these images full-screen, which makes the
> smaller ones look very poor - pixelated, etc. as you'd
> expect.
>
> When I go to Settings>Control Panel>Display>Desktop,
> Wallpaper Changer shows up in my wallpaper list as
> "toyhide", with the Position pull-down list set to
> "Stretch". Even if I change this to "Center" and click
> on Apply, it does not work. My automatically changing
> wallpaper is /still/ "stretched".
>
> I looked in Configure Wallpaper by right-clicking on its
> icon in my sys tray, but failed to see anything at all
> about how images are displayed.
>
> Am I missing something obvious here? Can I change it? If
> I can't change it, is there a better (free) similar app?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.

Use Webshots. Does pictures as a screen saver, and wallpaper changer too.
Doesn't have the stretching problem.
www.webshots.com

All Things Mopar

Toolman Tim commented courteously...

> Use Webshots. Does pictures as a screen saver, and
> wallpaper changer too. Doesn't have the stretching
> problem.

> www.webshots.com

Thanks, but where are the screen saver and wallpaper
changer? All I saw, besides pop-ups and ads, were links
to pictures.

--

> Toolman Tim commented courteously...
>
>> Use Webshots. Does pictures as a screen saver, and
>> wallpaper changer too. Doesn't have the stretching
>> problem.

>> www.webshots.com

> Thanks, but where are the screen saver and wallpaper
> changer? All I saw, besides pop-ups and ads, were links
> to pictures.

Sure thing...the link below takes you to the download page...
http://www.webshots.com/samplers/

The sampler comes with several pictures. You can also import your own, and
download up to 5 a day from their site (free - or unlimited if you want to
pay their "premium" package price). Best of all, it's totally spyware/adware
free. And if you got popups, that's your fault for not having a popup
blocker installed <grin>!

nimd4 nimd4 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Wallpaper Changer, Wallpapertoy.Exe version 2000.0.0.6 says:

Quote:
Note: The Wallpaper Changer resizes images for use as wallpaper in a better way that Windows normally allows. The Wallpaper Changer preserves the original aspect ratio for better fidelity to the original image while resizing the image to fill the screen. By preserving the aspect ratio, images look better when resized to fill the entire screen than with the normal Windows stretch.
.... While in reality all it does is Center the images. Obviously there are other, better, programs (after all, it's Micro$oft we're talking about), but how can this Powertoy be configured to work as declared?!?? Anyone, pls? xd

Canonical Windows freeware wallpaper manager changer program Brenda Peters Digital Photography 6 11-29-2006 07:03 PM
New toy.. new toy! Shane NZ Computing 9 03-10-2006 06:40 AM
Toy Story 1 & 2 SE vs Toy Box Set byronrobinson@sympatico.ca DVD Video 2 12-30-2005 11:14 PM
System Independent Wallpaper Changer Terrance N. Phillip Python 4 07-06-2005 01:34 PM

Advertisments