Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > rolling screen problem

rolling screen problem

Paul Johnson

What could cause the screen to roll intermittently? My friend complains of
this but insists that it can't be the monitor settings as they have never
been touched. They have tried altering the encoding (Western European etc
etc) and it seems to help but not for very long. They are using XP home
edition. They are at a loss to correct this at the moment.
Paul

WormWood

"Paul Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r%5qe.14768$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> What could cause the screen to roll intermittently? My friend
> complains of
> this but insists that it can't be the monitor settings as they have
> never
> been touched. They have tried altering the encoding (Western European
> etc
> etc) and it seems to help but not for very long. They are using XP
> home
> edition. They are at a loss to correct this at the moment.
> Paul

Do they use a wheel mouse? A little reconfiguration in control panel may
help.

The Old Sourdough

Paul Johnson gurgled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> What could cause the screen to roll intermittently? My friend
> complains of this but insists that it can't be the monitor
> settings as they have never been touched. They have tried altering
> the encoding (Western European etc etc) and it seems to help but
> not for very long. They are using XP home edition. They are at a
> loss to correct this at the moment. Paul

Perhaps it's time to try "touching the monitor settings". Things *do*
change over time, you know. Components age and values change with heat,
etc.

--

The Old Sourdough
In the future, everyone will speak one language,

Rick Merrill

Paul Johnson wrote:

> What could cause the screen to roll intermittently? My friend complains of
> this but insists that it can't be the monitor settings as they have never
> been touched. They have tried altering the encoding (Western European etc
> etc) and it seems to help but not for very long. They are using XP home
> edition. They are at a loss to correct this at the moment.
> Paul

A poor contact pin can cause this. Try another cable?

Blinky the Shark

Rick Merrill wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:

>> What could cause the screen to roll intermittently? My friend complains of
>> this but insists that it can't be the monitor settings as they have never
>> been touched. They have tried altering the encoding (Western European etc
>> etc) and it seems to help but not for very long. They are using XP home
>> edition. They are at a loss to correct this at the moment.
>> Paul

> A poor contact pin can cause this. Try another cable?

And in lieu of having another cable lying about, at least reseating the
connectors would be a good thing to try before procuring another cable.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263