Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

Dirkley Diggler

Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

Ionizer

"Dirkley Diggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

In what way is it "junk?" Please provide a couple of links to support
your claim.

Thanks,
Ian.

Donald

All do virus definitions install update reg ect..
"Dirkley Diggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

Toolman Tim

"Dirkley Diggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

Mine versions 6, 7 and 8 never made me reboot after an update. An upgrade,
yes. But a basic, everyday virus data file update, never.

pcbutts1

To replace the files that are in use that it needs to update.

"Dirkley Diggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

Dirkley Diggler

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:27:15 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dirkley Diggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
>> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

>Mine versions 6, 7 and 8 never made me reboot after an update. An upgrade,
>yes. But a basic, everyday virus data file update, never.

Right, thats what I mean... It's a damn pain

Toolman Tim

"Dirkley Diggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:27:15 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Dirkley Diggler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine
>>> after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

>>Mine versions 6, 7 and 8 never made me reboot after an update. An upgrade,
>>yes. But a basic, everyday virus data file update, never.
>>

> Right, thats what I mean... It's a damn pain

Yeah? How often do you upgrade? Jeez...once a year should be max. Heck, I
don't even do that if the the old software can still be updated.

Dave Lear

"Dirkley Diggler" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your
> machine after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!!

That would be so it could carry out the contents of...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

to replace files that are currently in use / locked by the application /
operating system. The alternative, which can be controlled by ePolicy
Orchestrator if you're in a corporate environment, is to temporarily suspend
the scanning service (thereby unloading / unlocking files), upgrade and
re-start the service.