Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer randomly starts up and shuts off

Computer randomly starts up and shuts off

SoberN2003

Hi, I am having computer prgblems I hope someone can help me with. My
computer has started shutting itself off suddenly . In addition, it
will suddenly begin to turn itself on and off rapidly,as if someone is
sitting there repeatedly pressing the button. I can sometimes get it to
turn on and stay on for various lengths of time,anywhere from a couple
of minutes to a couple of hours.Often I cant get it to turn on at all.
The green light on the back where the power supply is is lit up. I
checked the fans and they are working,there was very little dust inside
the machine. I have the computer plugged to an APC surge
protecter/battery backup.All other peripherals such as my
monitor,printer and scanner are powered up fine.What could be the
problem? Thanks so much for any help you could give me.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

SoberN2003 wrote:

> Hi, I am having computer prgblems I hope someone can help me with. My
> computer has started shutting itself off suddenly . In addition, it
> will suddenly begin to turn itself on and off rapidly,as if someone is
> sitting there repeatedly pressing the button. I can sometimes get it to
> turn on and stay on for various lengths of time,anywhere from a couple
> of minutes to a couple of hours.Often I cant get it to turn on at all.
> The green light on the back where the power supply is is lit up. I
> checked the fans and they are working,there was very little dust inside
> the machine. I have the computer plugged to an APC surge
> protecter/battery backup.All other peripherals such as my
> monitor,printer and scanner are powered up fine.What could be the
> problem? Thanks so much for any help you could give me.

Check your cpu temperature.
In most modern systems there is a monitor in BIOS.

SoberN2003

Ok,thanks. When I can get it to start up I will do that. What should
the cpu temperature be? and what do I do if it is too high?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

SoberN2003 wrote:
> Ok,thanks. When I can get it to start up I will do that. What should
> the cpu temperature be? and what do I do if it is too high?

Knowing which cpu you are talking about might help narrow it down a bit.

The usual way to get over the heat problem is to replace the cpu fan
with something that has a larger debit.

Shortterm measures include leaving the sides off the case.

USB Shuts Off Computer! AlexH113 Hardware 2 09-09-2009 03:38 PM
Computer shuts off during boot. Help? thiago.corgosinho@gmail.com Computer Support 2 09-18-2007 04:10 PM
Computer Shuts Off Kirkis Hardware 1 08-27-2007 12:10 PM
(problem) Windows XP Home Ed./Compaq Presario 6000 shuts down randomly charlesjo@gmail.com Computer Support 5 02-05-2005 07:17 AM
on start computer shuts off after 2 seconds Sparky Computer Support 1 01-10-2004 09:50 PM

Advertisments