Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New TFT screen flickers badly

New TFT screen flickers badly

Geoff

Hi, hoping to get some advice from the group here. I bought
a new 19" TFT called WesEri from my local supplier and there
were constant light background horizontal lines flickering
slowly downwards on the screen. No matter which frequency I
used they were still there and I took it back to the
supplier and showed him on his computer, to demonstrate it
was not my video card. He took it back and gave me another
this afternoon which was brand new, and lo and behold,
exactly the same problem! I have a Club Radeon 9800 to drive
it and it works fine on CRT's. This is my first TFT and my
question is, are these things just plug'nplay like the old
ones? Have I missed out something dramatically simple to
make it work properly?

Thanks

Geoff

Old Gringo

Geoff wrote:

> Hi, hoping to get some advice from the group here. I bought
> a new 19" TFT called WesEri from my local supplier and there
> were constant light background horizontal lines flickering
> slowly downwards on the screen. No matter which frequency I
> used they were still there and I took it back to the
> supplier and showed him on his computer, to demonstrate it
> was not my video card. He took it back and gave me another
> this afternoon which was brand new, and lo and behold,
> exactly the same problem! I have a Club Radeon 9800 to drive
> it and it works fine on CRT's. This is my first TFT and my
> question is, are these things just plug'nplay like the old
> ones? Have I missed out something dramatically simple to
> make it work properly?
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

Horizontal delay bar, Make sure all connections are seated properly,
inside and outside the computer.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

John Holmes

Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Hi, hoping to get some advice from the group here. I bought
> a new 19" TFT called WesEri from my local supplier and there
> were constant light background horizontal lines flickering
> slowly downwards on the screen. No matter which frequency I
> used they were still there and I took it back to the
> supplier and showed him on his computer, to demonstrate it
> was not my video card. He took it back and gave me another
> this afternoon which was brand new, and lo and behold,
> exactly the same problem! I have a Club Radeon 9800 to drive
> it and it works fine on CRT's. This is my first TFT and my
> question is, are these things just plug'nplay like the old
> ones? Have I missed out something dramatically simple to
> make it work properly?
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

Take it back to the supplier, and demand a another new one. Now, test the
screen on his computer BEFORE you take it home. If it flickers again, ask
your money back. If your supplier refuses, break his face with the
monitor.

--
Your mother was a touchy taxi-driver who lived a life of sin and misery
in a home for the permanently baffled.

JANA

Take it back to the supplier. This is either a bad design, or they have a
run of defective ones.

If I may suggest, you should look at some of the higher end brands. You will
get better performance for only a few dollars more. The Viewsonic, Sony,
NEC, Samsung, BenQ, Philips, and some of the Acer monitors in the LCD work
very well, and have excellent pictures. My favourites are the Viewsonic,
Sony, and the BenQ.

--

JANA
_____

"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Hi, hoping to get some advice from the group here. I bought
a new 19" TFT called WesEri from my local supplier and there
were constant light background horizontal lines flickering
slowly downwards on the screen. No matter which frequency I
used they were still there and I took it back to the
supplier and showed him on his computer, to demonstrate it
was not my video card. He took it back and gave me another
this afternoon which was brand new, and lo and behold,
exactly the same problem! I have a Club Radeon 9800 to drive
it and it works fine on CRT's. This is my first TFT and my
question is, are these things just plug'nplay like the old
ones? Have I missed out something dramatically simple to
make it work properly?

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:09:06 GMT, Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Geoff wrote:
>>
>> Hi, hoping to get some advice from the group here. I bought
>> a new 19" TFT called WesEri from my local supplier and there
>> were constant light background horizontal lines flickering
>> slowly downwards on the screen. No matter which frequency I
>> used they were still there and I took it back to the
>> supplier and showed him on his computer, to demonstrate it
>> was not my video card. He took it back and gave me another
>> this afternoon which was brand new, and lo and behold,
>> exactly the same problem! I have a Club Radeon 9800 to drive
>> it and it works fine on CRT's. This is my first TFT and my
>> question is, are these things just plug'nplay like the old
>> ones? Have I missed out something dramatically simple to
>> make it work properly?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Geoff

>Horizontal delay bar, Make sure all connections are seated properly,
>inside and outside the computer.

Thanks

Where do I find the Horizontal delay bar?

Geoff

Old Gringo

Geoff wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:09:06 GMT, Old Gringo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Geoff wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, hoping to get some advice from the group here. I bought
>>>a new 19" TFT called WesEri from my local supplier and there
>>>were constant light background horizontal lines flickering
>>>slowly downwards on the screen. No matter which frequency I
>>>used they were still there and I took it back to the
>>>supplier and showed him on his computer, to demonstrate it
>>>was not my video card. He took it back and gave me another
>>>this afternoon which was brand new, and lo and behold,
>>>exactly the same problem! I have a Club Radeon 9800 to drive
>>>it and it works fine on CRT's. This is my first TFT and my
>>>question is, are these things just plug'nplay like the old
>>>ones? Have I missed out something dramatically simple to
>>>make it work properly?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Geoff

>>Horizontal delay bar, Make sure all connections are seated properly,
>>inside and outside the computer.

> Thanks
>
> Where do I find the Horizontal delay bar?
>
> Geoff

Horizontal delay bar is your problem.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Lawrence A. Wong

Might not be the problem, but certain, lower-end monitors may do some major
flickering or have severe image distortion if the resolution of the screen
is higher or lower than the native resolution of your LCD.

Look on the packaging of the monitor and find out it's native reolution,
configure windows to display that resoultion, and try the LCD again.

in most LCDs the image will just be fuzzy (resolution too low) or it may
have lines going across or down it (resolution too high).

Native resolutions for most basic LCD Monitors is 1024 x 768. Those numbers
will grow the higher end monitor you buy.

--
Regards,

Lawrence Wong
news:(E-Mail Removed)...